Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

High number of complaints on Singapore Airlines new Premium Economy product

Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Singapore Airlines Solitaire PPS Club, HHonors Diamond

The last few months I travelled a lot on long haul flights with SIA, also in the new Premium Economy Class. Through talking to the crew and two SIA employees, who were seated next to me on different flights, I learned that SIA receives quite a lot of complaints on it's new Premium Economy product.

Even as a longstanding SIA customer and fan of the airline, I could understand why and decided to do some more research on websites such as this one and the Skytrax website: www.airlinequality.com, where also quite a few passengers turned out to have given negative feedback.

Somehow SIA seems to have missed the opportunity to set a new industry standard with the development of this new cabin. Constantly returning remarks on SIA's new Premium Economy are:

-Seat design features a footrest, which turns out to be useless for most
-No dedicated restrooms for the cabin section which other airlines do have
-No cabin separation from Economy Class. The curtains stay open
-No pre-takeoff drinks
-Meal quality only marginally better then Economy Class
-Book the Cook orders are served first, but no accompanying drinks service. This comes much later when the Book the Cook meal is already finished.
-No dedicated cabin crew for this cabin section, resulting in only one drink
service with the meal. Refill round too late or none at all.
-Champagne in all advertising, but only available on request
-Drinks served in plastic cups, not glassware
-Overpriced for what is offered. Often twice the price of Economy

To be honest, when I compare the SIA Premium Economy product to my Premium Economy experiences on EVA Air and Air New Zealand, I have to admit that these Airlines offer better products at often much better prices. Even as a starch SIA defender, I am slightly disappointed in the way that SIA has executed this new cabin product. I am really interested to hear about your views & experiences!

Last edited by Beolab; Feb 3, 2017 at 9:21 am
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:16 am

This is an airline, not a restaurant !
Food is a nice extra on an airline.
What is the extra value of a curtain between Y and W ? The extra legroom is the major benefit of the W class which is about 10cm more than in Y.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 2:54 pm

Agree the only thing "premium" about PE that should matter is the slightly extra seat space. Everything else is just fluff (or advertising, as OP would put it).
Old Feb 3, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by airsurfer
What is the extra value of a curtain between Y and W ? The extra legroom is the major benefit of the W class which is about 10cm more than in Y.
The major drawback for me is the lack of a separate lavatory
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RTWFF
The major drawback for me is the lack of a separate lavatory
Why? It's economy, not business.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airsurfer
True indeed, but the question is: is that extra 10cm worth double the Economy price? SIA has priced its PE cabin quite high, compared to other airlines.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Agree the only thing "premium" about PE that should matter is the slightly extra seat space. Everything else is just fluff (or advertising, as OP would put it).
Again: double the price, compared to Economy. Does the slightly extra seat space justify this price tag? The "fluff" does appear to materialize more at some other Airlines, resulting in less complaints about their PE product.

With an airline such as SIA, who has often set woldwide industry standards and introduced many "world's firsts" you expect a very well thought through PE product. Especially, since they introduced it so long after others did, giving them ample time to study the competition. Yet the final result seems somewhat inconsistent.

Maybe in order to save there Business Class from being cannibalized by PE, they differentiated their PE product more towards Economy then to Business a little too much. Most airlines developed PE as a way to entice Economy travelers upwards in cabin class, unaffraid of the impact on Business Class, which worked out well. SIA appears to have been scared of this, leaving their PE product too expensive and not different enough for Economy travelers and too basic for Business Class travelers. Result:a new cabin class in limbo with many empty PE seats and complaints.

Today's reality is that many business travelers have to cut back on costs and are requested to book PE. They look for the best product, which SIA does not seem to offer. This leading to longtime loyal SIA customers looking elsewhere for their flights.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 8:20 pm

I think that the major issue with is the price tag.

And probably passengers expectations. Its PEY after all, but it seems that some customers are expecting to find a biz-class product.

And to be fair to SQ: I think they are not the only one struggelling with selling their PEY product. CX adjusted their seating arrangements, TK if iam not wrong entirely scrapped their PEY, LH seems also to have mixed demand.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Beolab
With an airline such as SIA, who has often set woldwide industry standards and introduced many "world's firsts" you expect a very well thought through PE product.
Its often said, but is it true? Can SQ really claim to have set worldwide standards and introduced worlds first? Which standards would that be?
Old Feb 4, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by SQ325
Its often said, but is it true? Can SQ really claim to have set worldwide standards and introduced worlds first? Which standards would that be?
Methinks this is just fluff. First to introduce flatbeds? No. First to introduce arrivals lounges? No. And these are what really matter to a lot of frequent travellers.

That said, I think the SQ PEY product is solid, albeit maybe not the best. Pricing is the problem, as another OP has pointed out. I would rather fly ME3 in business between Singapore and Europe than pay for SQ PEY.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 1:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
True indeed, but the question is: is that extra 10cm worth double the Economy price? SIA has priced its PE cabin quite high, compared to other airlines.
Only you and your account manager can decide that.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 1:43 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Maybe passengers are expecting too much from Premium Economy?

I believe the main purpose is about the extra comfort that the seat itself gives passengers, more space; better seat pitch, width, and recline.

It's probably only useful to pay the premium on longhaul routes.

Last edited by lcpteck; Feb 4, 2017 at 2:28 am
Old Feb 4, 2017, 2:01 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Correct...

No, I would no pay thatt!!!
Old Feb 4, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
I've tried PE and it was fine. Essentially people need to understand its a 'better' economy seat (much better if you ask me), with a few enhancements on the service.

Passengers complaining are kindly reminded this is an economy not business cabin, and need to adjust expectations accordingly.

If you're worried where you'll be pooping and peeing, suggest you purchase a seat in the first cabin if you don't want to share facilities. If you're not happy with the food eat something before you depart at a 5-star facility. If you want champagne ask for it (as every other pax). Separation of the cabin? You are seated in economy and separated from business. Plastic cup? We really need to adjust expectations of what premium ECONOMY actually is.

However I do agree on the pricing. As it is an economy cabin seat and service the price needs to reflect this. Its too high above SQ economy flex fares, and flex fares for SQ is already at a premium in the market.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 4:11 am

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by SQ325
I think that the major issue with is the price tag.

And probably passengers expectations. Its PEY after all, but it seems that some customers are expecting to find a biz-class product.

And to be fair to SQ: I think they are not the only one struggelling with selling their PEY product. CX adjusted their seating arrangements, TK if iam not wrong entirely scrapped their PEY, LH seems also to have mixed demand.
I 100% agree with this post. The product is ok, but its just too expensive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.