Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

High number of complaints on Singapore Airlines new Premium Economy product

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

High number of complaints on Singapore Airlines new Premium Economy product

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Beolab
Recently flew Premium Economy again with SIA. They still haven't changed the meal service system. Book the Cook orders get served way ahead of the other Premium Economy & Economy meals, but the accompanying drinks service starts much later, when the regular Premium Economy & Economy meals are served.

When our Book the Meals came, we asked for a glass of wine, but the cabin crew member replied that the drinks trolley would come soon. It did not. So again we finished our Book the Cook meals without any drinks. When you use Book the Cook in Premium Economy, there are 2 options: 1) wait for the drinks and let your meal get cold, or 2) have your meal without drinks. Very disappointing. I can't understand why the still do it this way.
Not well coordinated. Even those with special meals have to wait for their drinks. Why not serve everyone together. I don't get it
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Not well coordinated. Even those with special meals have to wait for their drinks. Why not serve everyone together. I don't get it
Agreed. Recently flew PE from IAH-MAN-SIN and back, and found the seats to be an improvement over regular economy- but the service and meals were largely the same as Y, albeit with the champagne. Booked the flight b/c the fare was only ~$150 more than economy, but definitely not worth booking even at a 40-50% premium over regular Y.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by rovv123
Agreed. Recently flew PE from IAH-MAN-SIN and back, and found the seats to be an improvement over regular economy- but the service and meals were largely the same as Y, albeit with the champagne. Booked the flight b/c the fare was only ~$150 more than economy, but definitely not worth booking even at a 40-50% premium over regular Y.
I just did MAN IAH return. The thrill of now being able to fly the route direct, non-stop colours my enthusiasm for the service

Though if I hadn't been blessed with empty seats next to me on both sectors I wouldn't be quite so happy. Otherwise it's economy with a little more legroom and elbow-room for a lot more money.

OK the leg-rest thingy might work for some, and the vaguely efficient noise cancelling headphones will be nice for those that don't carry their own.

As noted before, the airline doesn't offer any special service other than champagne in a plastic glass. And only as part of the regular economy-class drinks run.

~There's an economy version of "book the chef". Bless ! This service is badly thought out and delivered. Special meals are handed out way before the general meal service begins, and cabin crew are not willing to deviate from their routine to serve drinks until the general meal cart passes by.

So order a special meal and you don't get a drink with it. Or your food goes cold waiting.

The amenity kit is a bit silly. Socks and a toothbrush. Would an eye-mask break the bank? There are tooth brush kits in the bathrooms.

And an eye-mask really was needed on the overnight return flight to Manchester. Window blinds were not lowered, and in any case, cabin lights were lifted as dawn broke over the Atlantic three hours out from the destination, and the breakfast service began. Just three hours after the dinner service had ben tidied away.

Crew were pleasant, a tad robotic and gave the impression of being over-worked. It's a 10 to 12 day trip away from home for them, and neither Manchester nor Houston are sought after stop-over points.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Singapore Airlines Solitaire PPS Club, HHonors Diamond
Just got off a roundtrip, SIN-CDG, ingoing in Premium Economy and outgoing in Business Class. Situation still the same in Premium Economy. Book the Cook meals served first. Accompanying drinks service came around 25 minutes later. I did not bother anymore to ask for a glass of wine with the meal, but four other Book the Cook passengers did. They got quite angry when they received the reply that the drinks service would start soon, but it never showed up in time.

Needles to say, that the Book the Cook meals were well finished before the drinks service started. The passenger next to me, was a journalist for Condé Nast Traveler Magazine and addressed the Leading Steward very politely, when he passed by. The journalist said to the Leading Steward that he was planning on writing an extensive article about his Premium Economy experience on SIA. After this he handed over his business card to him. It's sad that such a wonderful airline completely messed up this new cabin class.

I recently also flew EVA Airways from Taipei to New York. What a joy! Dedicated and perfect crew members for Premium Economy (they call it Elite Class). Dedicated restrooms for this cabin class and perfect service. I will definitely try them again on other routes. After landing the cabin crew even thanked every Premium Economy passenger for flying EVA Airways! I can really understand that they have been appointed 5 stars by Skytrax recently.

Last edited by Beolab; Jul 16, 2017 at 2:04 am
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:22 pm

Book the Cook meals served first. Accompanying drinks service came around 25 minutes later.
As a note: same procedure with Special Meals in Y.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:43 am

After reading this thread, I'm reconsidering flying PE from SFO-HKG. Safe to assume the new PE service/product on this leg is as described in this thread?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
After reading this thread, I'm reconsidering flying PE from SFO-HKG. Safe to assume the new PE service/product on this leg is as described in this thread?
Really depends on the price gap. If doubled the price of coach, i would pass!
Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by terbangalways
Really depends on the price gap. If doubled the price of coach, i would pass!
Ok thanks. Using points but still almost 2x.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Originally Posted by SQ325
As a note: same procedure with Special Meals in Y.
? Premium economy is just that, better economy seat and service. End of the day its an economy service.

Since when did economy expectations become so high? Some people here expect business service and business seating at half the price??
Old Aug 5, 2017, 12:35 am

Programs: Krisflyer
Originally Posted by davidj1
? Premium economy is just that, better economy seat and service. End of the day its an economy service.

Since when did economy expectations become so high? Some people here expect business service and business seating at half the price??
Hardly business service to provide a drink with the meal. It's normal Y service, I would expect that for the small number of PE using BTC that they would be able to spare 5 minutes to run a drinks trolley through. SQ's PE is a big price increase on Y, and most passenger reviews aren't glowing. It's crazy to think that using one of the few perks would actually be offset by substantially worse service in the rest of the meal.

I have submitted a bid for an upgrade (Y to PE) on SIN-LHR next week. But I'm already started to wonder if it was worth it because I don't want to have to choose between a better meal and a drink with my meal. (Please correct me if the in-flight menu is different from standard Y; my recollection of reviews is that BTC is the only source of 'premium' main course.)

EDIT - maybe my memory is wrong about in-flight menu, I see earlier in this thread it is described as 'marginally better'...

Last edited by onlySIA; Aug 5, 2017 at 12:42 am
Old Aug 5, 2017, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by onlySIA
SQ's PE is a big price increase on Y, and most passenger reviews aren't glowing.
Price depends very much dependent on route, season and demand.

1/6/18 - 1/7/18 SGD Prices SIN-FRA Return
Economy SS $1,471
Economy Flex $2,556
P Economy $2,331
Business Flex $6,571
First $13,871

1. Obviously depends on route and time, however my example shows it being very competitively priced.
2. With many users here using the logic of 'value for money' and what you get in return, I don't hear many criticisms about first class, and real benefits over business. Do you really get 'that' much additional benefits for the massive increase in price (business to first)? In my example, being $7,300 more, and the cost of another business return ticket, I'd say not @:-)

I would still argue people have the mindset they are buying a cheap business class ticket, and their expectations reflect this, therefore the disappointment and bad reviews afterwards.

They should in fact be expecting a better economy class seat and service (which they are receiving). How much one pays is obviously up to them.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 4:27 am

To compare, here are some prices in September from SYD-MXP in AUD:

Economy $1,599
Premium Economy $5,418
Business $7,869

There is no way Premium Economy is worth that much over Economy :P

Whilst Economy prices are in very good competition with other airlines, Premium Economy prices seem way out of line. I can fly Business with Air France CHEAPER than Premium Economy with Singapore Airlines, or Business with Qatar or Etihad for only a few hundred dollars more :P
Old Aug 5, 2017, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by maestro1981
To compare, here are some prices in September from SYD-MXP in AUD:

Economy $1,599
Premium Economy $5,418
Business $7,869
Yes in that example PE is not value for money

And or course you'll get pax come here complaining how PE was really bad blah blah at those prices.

When Business is $15k+ and I buy a ticket I'll be complaining too that the seat was not long enough, I didn't get a personal assistant and masseuse, there weren't enough bathrooms, the steak was over done etc etc, but I'll have myself to blame for expecting and spending so much.

Last edited by davidj1; Aug 5, 2017 at 4:38 am
Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Just got off a roundtrip, SIN-CDG, ingoing in Premium Economy and outgoing in Business Class. Situation still the same in Premium Economy. Book the Cook meals served first. Accompanying drinks service came around 25 minutes later. I did not bother anymore to ask for a glass of wine with the meal, but four other Book the Cook passengers did. They got quite angry when they received the reply that the drinks service would start soon, but it never showed up in time.

Needles to say, that the Book the Cook meals were well finished before the drinks service started. The passenger next to me, was a journalist for Condé Nast Traveler Magazine and addressed the Leading Steward very politely, when he passed by. The journalist said to the Leading Steward that he was planning on writing an extensive article about his Premium Economy experience on SIA. After this he handed over his business card to him. It's sad that such a wonderful airline completely messed up this new cabin class.

I recently also flew EVA Airways from Taipei to New York. What a joy! Dedicated and perfect crew members for Premium Economy (they call it Elite Class). Dedicated restrooms for this cabin class and perfect service. I will definitely try them again on other routes. After landing the cabin crew even thanked every Premium Economy passenger for flying EVA Airways! I can really understand that they have been appointed 5 stars by Skytrax recently.
This is unacceptable for SQ. If cabin crews can't do a drink serve efficiently, then the airline should load plenty of small bottles of water to provide to PY pax.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by davidj1

I do expect to get drinks served with my meal not well after, even I have opted for a special meal. Yes, even in Y. If you want to call that high expectation? Well. I would rather suggest SQ to work on their procedures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.