Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Can someone help with this PE to J upgrade question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2017, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

A couple of days ago I booked BNE to AMS via Singapore and then ZRH to BNE with the same 24 hour stay in Singapore for the return.

The flights and classes are as follows

BNE - SIN (Economy W Class)
SIN - AMS (Premium Economy P Class)
ZRH - SIN (Premium Economy P Class)
SIN - BNE (Economy W Class)

Now I can see that the Economy flights are not upgradable but my question is are the premium economy flights upgradable?

On the manage booking page, I can press the upgrade with miles button but I seem to get one of two messages. Either "Redemption upgrades are not available for this booking" or "Please sign in with the Krisflyer account that the booking was made from".

So my question is, Can I actually upgrade this booking and if so for how many miles per person, per leg.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver
Originally Posted by henrus
Now I can see that the Economy flights are not upgradable but my question is are the premium economy flights upgradable?
Yes the premium economy flights should be upgradable, provided there is redemption availability. Assuming you are using Krisflyer miles for upgrade, you should log into your account and do a dummy redemption booking for Business Class for the same flight to see if there are Savers or Standard award flights available. If so, you can upgrade for the required number of miles respectively. If only wait list is available, you can also call SQ to ask them to wait list you for an upgrade.

On the manage booking page, I can press the upgrade with miles button but I seem to get one of two messages. Either "Redemption upgrades are not available for this booking" or "Please sign in with the Krisflyer account that the booking was made from".
Once I see such messages I ignore the website and call in. The agents are generally way more competent than the website ^

So my question is, Can I actually upgrade this booking and if so for how many miles per person, per leg.
You can refer to this chart for the required number of miles. In your case it should be 45,000 miles one-way for a Savers upgrade and 65,000 for a Standard upgrade.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 10:06 pm

yes, give them a call. the website is not really set-up to deal with mixed class bookings. remember to ask for the 15% discount!
Old Jan 27, 2017, 10:45 pm

Do you have an Krisflyer account? And if have you logged in?

Normally the process of upgrade online is pretty straight forward. Just generally the availability is an issue (SIN-AMS is diificult from my experience).
Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:57 pm

If I book my PE ticket with a TA can I still upgrade to J? Furthermore, can I upgrade online, and receive the 15% discount?
Old Jan 29, 2017, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by dannyrado
If I book my PE ticket with a TA can I still upgrade to J? Furthermore, can I upgrade online, and receive the 15% discount?
I have upgraded TA tickets before but always through the phone and I did not get the 15% discount. It seems like it's impossible to do it online, at least in my experience. Trying to argue for the discount was futile.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by pokfur
I have upgraded TA tickets before but always through the phone and I did not get the 15% discount. It seems like it's impossible to do it online, at least in my experience. Trying to argue for the discount was futile.
Thankyou very much.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:57 pm

As a piggyback to the PE Y to J question, if the "saver" rate is available for a full J award on a given flight, does that mean a "saver" rate upgrade is also available?
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
Originally Posted by jcm55a
As a piggyback to the PE Y to J question, if the "saver" rate is available for a full J award on a given flight, does that mean a "saver" rate upgrade is also available?
In my experience, yes. This has been the case on at least 2 occasions in the past 3-4 months.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:02 pm

Some agents have told me that it is a different pool although if you ask they might be able to push it through
Old Feb 14, 2017, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by jcm55a
It has always been the same for me in my experience. Though not very extensive; only done it 3 times ever.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Gold, CO Gold
Two recent experiences upgrading P class to Biz:

Nov 2016 on JFK-SIN-JFK
As soon as saver availability opened up on JFK-SIN, I was able to upgrade online. Saver availability on the return never opened up (in fact, the flight ended up being completely full, due to the LH strike).

Feb 2017 on JFK-SIN-XXX-SIN-JFK
As noted in a different thread, online upgrade is not an option if your ticket involves multiple fare buckets (SIN-XXX-SIN books into Y, not P); instead you need to call in, but they honor the 15% discount, at least for SQ.com bookings. Saver availability opened up on JFK-SIN around two weeks before departure, and I call in to process the upgrade. Unfortunately, the experience was not as smooth as the first time around: the agent does not see upgrade space at the saver rate, confirming the suspicion that not all saver space is alike. Very frustrating, as I saw myself having to call in daily to check for changes in availability.

Interestingly, the agent offered to check with the "controller" whether they could accommodate me in Biz anyway, and would get back to me the next day (the call was placed in the evening, US time). According to the “better HUCA than sorry” motto, I called back an hour later and ask anew about upgrading JFK-SIN. The new agent informs me that my reservation is already showing reserved seats in Biz: not only on the outbound, but also on the inbound sector SIN-JFK, even though I hadn’t discussed the return leg with the initial agent and we still had a week to go until SQ normally releases saver seats. The excellent proactivity on the part of the initial agent, and the generosity of the controller, made my evening. The new agent went ahead and processed both upgrades. I hold KF Silver status FWIW.

It is worth noting that the regional SIN-XXX-SIN flights cannot be upgraded “for free” if they are booked in a different fare bucket to that of the JFK legs.
Old May 12, 2017, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

I've got a couple more questions...

It is possible to upgrade only 2 out of the 4 people in the booking that we have?

and if 1 saver seat is available and 2 standard seats are available is it possible to take the 1 saver and then 1 standard upgrade or do they both have to be the same type?
Old May 13, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: KF
I've got a couple more questions...

It is possible to upgrade only 2 out of the 4 people in the booking that we have?

and if 1 saver seat is available and 2 standard seats are available is it possible to take the 1 saver and then 1 standard upgrade or do they both have to be the same type?
4 people in single booking means you are just on the same PNR or same locator, but each of you have individual eticket numbers. Not unless its revenue booking wherein there might be fare rules that both of you should say on the same class, on the same date and must travel together, for award tickets, just call KF and ask your booking o be split individually, the agent will then give u individual PNR, then you can proceed by upgrading or cancelling or changing or anything you want to do with your award ticket

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.