Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

First timer: tips to book Singapore Airline First Class LAX to NRT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 am
Original Poster

My wife and I are trying to plan a dream vacation to Japan spring of 2018 in hopes to catch the cherry blossom season.
We hope to ride on Singapore Airline First class from LAX to NRT and we'll most likely just book an economy flight back since we've only accumulated about 200k UR points so far.

From my research so far, it looks like Saver Award comes out to be 87,500 KrisFlyer miles per person (total of 148750 miles +$107.20 fare charges) OR standard is 170,000 miles per person, which is beyond what we can accumulate at this point.

1. I read that we can book the 355 days out. Right now, all the searches I've done for this year just to see what's available is coming up as waitlisted. How easy is it if I try to book the Saver Award flights for next year if I try to book it as soon as the dates I want open up?
2. Is the Saver Award guaranteed or is it always going to be waitlisted?
3. Any tips and tricks or suggestions to booking the flight? For example, can I call Singapore Airline and confirm that Saver Award tickets are available before transferring my UR points over and have them on hold while I go through the process?

I appreciate hearing from anyone who has successfully done this before or have any thoughts about alternative options. Thanks!
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:59 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Honestly, you don't even need to use the search function to find several threads like yours with many answers to pretty much similar questions on the first 1-3 pages of this SQ Forum.

If I were in your position, instead of one way First award and then an Eco flight back I would rather save a few more points and try to look for Business round trip. YMMV
Old Jan 22, 2017, 4:03 am

Programs: KF Gold
Originally Posted by silvervknight
My wife and I are trying to plan a dream vacation to Japan spring of 2018 in hopes to catch the cherry blossom season.
We hope to ride on Singapore Airline First class from LAX to NRT and we'll most likely just book an economy flight back since we've only accumulated about 200k UR points so far.

From my research so far, it looks like Saver Award comes out to be 87,500 KrisFlyer miles per person (total of 148750 miles +$107.20 fare charges) OR standard is 170,000 miles per person, which is beyond what we can accumulate at this point.

1. I read that we can book the 355 days out. Right now, all the searches I've done for this year just to see what's available is coming up as waitlisted. How easy is it if I try to book the Saver Award flights for next year if I try to book it as soon as the dates I want open up?
2. Is the Saver Award guaranteed or is it always going to be waitlisted?
3. Any tips and tricks or suggestions to booking the flight? For example, can I call Singapore Airline and confirm that Saver Award tickets are available before transferring my UR points over and have them on hold while I go through the process?

I appreciate hearing from anyone who has successfully done this before or have any thoughts about alternative options. Thanks!
1. As soon as dates open up is usually your best bet. I haven't tried that route before but managed to snag 3 x J savers for SIN-SFO as soon as it hit the 355 day mark.

2. No guarantees. Generally I find weekends or peak periods end up always being waitlisted. Having some flexibility and being able to go mid-week helps

3. As far as I'm aware SQ do not hold flights so you'd need to have the points ready to go. Generally if it's showing up on their website then it's available for confirmation there and then. If you do transfer your miles across and can't find any SQ availability, there's always the possibility of using those miles to book on one of their Star Alliance partners.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Or you could be a risk taker and try to move the miles to Virgin Atlantic and try to get First Class seats on ANA (think 110k each round trip ). The miles are easy to get with the Bank of America CC ... if you can manufacture spend use the 90k miles for 12k spend bonus each and you almost reach the needed points after that.

Number 10 in the link below
http://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/best-ways-to-use-100k-ultimate-rewards-points/

Last edited by blitzen; Jan 22, 2017 at 5:52 am
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold, SPG Plat
Point transfers typically takes 1-2 business days. My last 2 point transfer to KF was next business day. Make sure you combine your points from Chase before transferring to KF. Although you are spouse, they don't allow you to combine points.

Good luck booking your trip and have fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.