Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Award flight canceled and no mileage refund. Is this common?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:25 am
Original Poster

I'm trying to figure out how much I can trust SQ's agents. Supposedly they're trying to appeal and I have to wait 3 days to figure out what they will do.

As of yesterday, I had a confirmed seat in business class on SQ2 and a waitlisted seat for first. The waitlist came through, and two hours later I called to confirm the first class ticket. They took my credit card number for fees, told me the mileage difference, and told me it would be done.

I then checked back later that evening and my record locator was dead. I called today and they blamed me, repeatedly, for missing the ticketing deadline. This is false. The deadline isn't until the 22nd. But it also doesn't explain the deletion of my confirmed business class seat with no refund of miles. She ignored this when I pointed it out.

So now she put back a waitlist for business class, still with no refund of miles. I have an appeal for which I have to wait 3 days. In the meantime, I have no flight booked.

This is really really bad service. Should I have confidence that they'll figure this out? Just wait?

Thanks!
-- Ethan
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
No SQ employee will ever admit to being wrong
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:22 pm

More common than it should be.

Ask to speak to a supervisor and quote the dates and times of what happened. Ask them to open up the space that you lost. Explain how it's clearly their fault and you might have a chance. Never allow them to blame you for their brain dead incompetence, censure them immediately. You should always take the agents name. Why you didn't push back when she accused you is beyond me.

Good luck, you'll need it.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Phaze
Ask to speak to a supervisor and quote the dates and times of what happened.
Yeah, good luck with that. I've never had luck speaking to supervisor, despite some quite tricky issues (one of which took 5 calls over 8 hrs totalling 3 hrs on the phone to resolve, and not once would they let me talk to supervisor). CANNOT.

One thing that is important is to call the Singapore number during Singapore office hours. Avoid calling in the evenings or overnight, the incompetence then is breathtaking.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
I had a similar problem before, and took me 5 hours on the phone (in total) to resolve. Ask them to pull the recordings of your calls as proof.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phaze
More common than it should be.

Ask to speak to a supervisor and quote the dates and times of what happened. Ask them to open up the space that you lost. Explain how it's clearly their fault and you might have a chance. Never allow them to blame you for their brain dead incompetence, censure them immediately. You should always take the agents name. Why you didn't push back when she accused you is beyond me.

Good luck, you'll need it.
It's an assumption of yours that I didn't push back. My message does not address that point.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Yeah, good luck with that. I've never had luck speaking to supervisor, despite some quite tricky issues (one of which took 5 calls over 8 hrs totalling 3 hrs on the phone to resolve, and not once would they let me talk to supervisor). CANNOT.

One thing that is important is to call the Singapore number during Singapore office hours. Avoid calling in the evenings or overnight, the incompetence then is breathtaking.
Thanks for that suggestion. I called a USA toll-free phone number, so I wasn't sure if the staff were located here or in Singapore, but I should have known from the accent. The screwing of my reservation was done at noon Singapore time, roughly. So that didn't help. 8(
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rooivalk
I had a similar problem before, and took me 5 hours on the phone (in total) to resolve. Ask them to pull the recordings of your calls as proof.
I called back later today, since I was too frustrated with that conversation and having to wait 3 days for a decision to be made by someone in a back office that I would never speak to. Luckily this person recognized that it needed escalation, and reached someone in "award processing" I think it was.

The person called me back about an hour later, and he had reviewed the history, acknowledged that it was not my error, correctly stated the history, but said that he couldn't fix it and I'd have to wait for the existing appeal to complete. Ah well, at least I know that the notes he read don't transfer the blame onto me.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Yeah, good luck with that. I've never had luck speaking to supervisor
That's correct, hence wishing the bloke good luck. But it would be silly not to ask given how colossally they've screwed this up.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Was it from the Singapore KF call centres?

I have no previous issues with them and I most of the time only redeem miles for SQ travels.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:47 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by tycosiao

I have no previous issues with them and I most of the time only redeem miles for SQ travels.
I believe the American hotline gets routed to the non-Singapore call centre.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tycosiao

It was the KF people since it was an award ticket. I believe the speakers were from Singapore judging from the accent. The audio quality was very poor which sometimes made it hard for me to understand.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:38 am
Original Poster

In case anyone is curious... the appeal completed, although they did not call me to confirm, nor did they ticket me. I had to call back to ask, and the person I spoke to said the appeal was done, and he was able to book me into business class, but not the first class seat which had become available previously.

At least he made no effort to charge me again, and on the website it shows Confirmed and let me pick a seat. And luckily the first row (of business) window seat I wanted is still available. I'll just have to hope that first opens up. Again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.