Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Looking for award flights to MLE in F/J from US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM

Hey everyone!

I've been doing some research on award flights from the US (any major hub) to the Maldives and I think I've come to the conclusion round trip on Singapore Airlines is probably going to be the best option. This will be a honeymoon trip and the future Mrs. and I are looking to splurge. We are flexible when it comes to travel and are looking at October 2017 or later. Early 2018 is doable as well, however the later part of 2017 would be ideal.

We are both saving points in the Chase Ultimate Rewards program and look to have around 250K-300K to spend when the time comes to book. I realize that won't be enough points to book round trip tickets for 2 but we would like to book what we can with what we have. With that being said, I have some questions...

1. Is the Kris Flyer program free to join?

2. We would like to try out the first class Suites if possible on at least one flight.

3. If it's bookable, is a long stopover in SIN worth it? (neither of us have ever been)

4. Is there a specific time of the year when awards are cheapest?

5. For a layover in SIN which lounge is the best to visit?

6. If anyone has any other comments or suggestions I'm very interested in hearing them and it would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance and looking forward to hearing back from everyone.

OPS
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by mattya9
Hey everyone!

I've been doing some research on award flights from the US (any major hub) to the Maldives and I think I've come to the conclusion round trip on Singapore Airlines is probably going to be the best option. This will be a honeymoon trip and the future Mrs. and I are looking to splurge. We are flexible when it comes to travel and are looking at October 2017 or later. Early 2018 is doable as well, however the later part of 2017 would be ideal.

We are both saving points in the Chase Ultimate Rewards program and look to have around 250K-300K to spend when the time comes to book. I realize that won't be enough points to book round trip tickets for 2 but we would like to book what we can with what we have. With that being said, I have some questions...

1. Is the Kris Flyer program free to join?

KF is free to join.

2. We would like to try out the first class Suites if possible on at least one flight.

Suite only flies from JFK, good luck getting seats on that flight.

3. If it's bookable, is a long stopover in SIN worth it? (neither of us have ever been)

If you book roundtrip then you get 1 free stopover or you can pay $100USD per person for a stopover on a oneway. I think it's worth a stop if you have never been to Singapore. JFK flight has a stopover in FRA, LAX has stops in ICN and NRT, SFO has a stop in HKG and HOU has a stop in MAN. Those are all options

4. Is there a specific time of the year when awards are cheapest?

Awards are all the same year round. Look for mid-week departures, as those seem to have the most award seats.

5. For a layover in SIN which lounge is the best to visit?

Depending if you are flying in First or Business. All SQ lounges are pretty good. If in First, The Private Room is the best they offer.

6. If anyone has any other comments or suggestions I'm very interested in hearing them and it would be very much appreciated!

With Chase Points I might also consider Korean Air. They have more award availability and cheaper fuel surcharge. Turkish Air might also be an option with transfers with UA miles. The main factor when arriving in MLE is time of arrival. Most resorts require boat and/or plane transfers. If you arrive late in the night, you might have to stay an extra night in Male.

Enjoy Maldives, one of the most beautiful place to visit.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to hearing back from everyone.

OPS
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:32 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
IIRC, of the two daily SIN-MLE-SIN one is operated by SQ on an A330 and the other by MI (Silkair) which is SQs regional carrier.

Both offer Y and C, but SQs is angled flat in Biz while the MI one is more of a cradle type regional Biz seat.

If memory serves me right, the flight that has the better timing to connect with sea plane or boat transfers to and from islands is unfortunately the MI flight. The SQ flight requires an overnight in MLE both times I think.

That MI flight can only be booked when redeeming KF miles and not via other *A programs. Hence, suggestions like looking at EK or EY if they are transfer partners of UR may be additional options as they have more flights from US to DXB or AUH onto MLE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.