Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The cost cutting on SIA begins to show.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2017, 3:34 am

I took SIN-HND SQ632 J in end-October 2016 and had a breakfast and refreshment loaded for my flight. However, an FTer who took the same flight (was it you, pokfur?) in early Nov 2016 didn't receive any refreshment service at all.

Not sure if the refreshment on this flight is indeed gone, but it's very poor of SQ to do that, as the breakfast service is at 1 hour into the flight, and one doesn't touch down in HND till mid-afternoon.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by SQ319
Staff service, imo, is really dependent on the seniors and leadership on board. If the leaders on board is one of those old school traditional ones, it will show in the service by the staff.

The subpar service in your previous flights could be many reasons - bochup (can't be bothered) leadership, zapping seniors (who makes the younger ones more stressed). Older planes may have malfunctioning equipment hence staff have to complete the same tasks with the less number of available equipment.

Though no excuse for inconsistent service and basics such as serving drinks (not available on the meal cart) after meal service.
Indeed it is depending on the leading supervisor. Unfortunately the service quality has quite some variations, which in fact should not be. But the service on longhauls seem to be more consistent, the short/mediumhauls can be hit or miss.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver
Originally Posted by SQ319
I took SIN-HND SQ632 J in end-October 2016 and had a breakfast and refreshment loaded for my flight. However, an FTer who took the same flight (was it you, pokfur?) in early Nov 2016 didn't receive any refreshment service at all.

Not sure if the refreshment on this flight is indeed gone, but it's very poor of SQ to do that, as the breakfast service is at 1 hour into the flight, and one doesn't touch down in HND till mid-afternoon.
Ehh I did take that flight, but the refreshment before landing was there, although rather crappy.

However on the return SQ631 HND-SIN which kind of departs at a similar time (8.50am), there were no refreshments, just one meal.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Singapore Airlines Solitaire PPS Club, HHonors Diamond
The refreshment served on this flight has really gone downhill over the last year. It's very noticeable.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: TK*G, QR Gold, VA Gold, NZ Gold
I noticed this too. Firstly, no ice cream offered. Secondly, they did not give me socks and toothbrush. Its a 7+ hours from SIN-SYD and their excuse is that its not a red-eye flight. and minimum is 8 hours to receive the amenity kit.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver
I'm not sure if this constitutes cost cutting or not, but for the first time yesterday the Phitek headphones were packaged in a generic zip-lop bag instead of the usual pouches (?)

I'm not sure if it's for hygiene purposes? But I don't think zip-locks can be considered hygienic since they could be opened and re-sealed any time. Doesn't affect anything really but just an observation.

Conversely, for regional flights, SQ seems to now load a small number of both sockets and slippers (previously only sockets) as my recent flights I received a choice of either when I asked for sockets.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Singapore Airlines Solitaire PPS Club, HHonors Diamond
Have other passengers noticed that the wine offerings in Business Class & First Class are moving to cheaper wines? Compared to a few years ago, SIA seems to be cutting back on the wines they serve.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
Originally Posted by Beolab
Have other passengers noticed that the wine offerings in Business Class & First Class are moving to cheaper wines? Compared to a few years ago, SIA seems to be cutting back on the wines they serve.
I can't say I have noticed anything obvious in this direction?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Not cost cutting, environmentally friendly perhaps?

Originally Posted by pokfur
I'm not sure if this constitutes cost cutting or not, but for the first time yesterday the Phitek headphones were packaged in a generic zip-lop bag instead of the usual pouches (?)

I'm not sure if it's for hygiene purposes? But I don't think zip-locks can be considered hygienic since they could be opened and re-sealed any time. Doesn't affect anything really but just an observation.

Conversely, for regional flights, SQ seems to now load a small number of both sockets and slippers (previously only sockets) as my recent flights I received a choice of either when I asked for sockets.
Yes but when the seal is torn/broken, u can always request for a new pack with the seal still intact, can't u?
How else were u getting the headphones in previously? I'm not a regular SQ flyer but on CX, the headphones come un-packaged with a paper sticker showing that it's not been used. On TG, it comes in a sealed clear plastic bag.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Perspective

So this appeared on the UA forum today, and I've never thought about eating frozen eggs/omelettes so I guess until SIA decides to serve us that, the cost cutting isn't real or evident.

UA serves frozen/preserved food in coach on international routes now?

p/s I always skip breakfast unless there are other options avail. because I hate the airline eggs with a passion, as well as the soggy hash browns!
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by kaffir76
So this appeared on the UA forum today, and I've never thought about eating frozen eggs/omelettes so I guess until SIA decides to serve us that, the cost cutting isn't real or evident.

UA serves frozen/preserved food in coach on international routes now?

p/s I always skip breakfast unless there are other options avail. because I hate the airline eggs with a passion, as well as the soggy hash browns!
It actually has been the case for a lot of airlines already.
Mainly flights departing from Europe are using frozen meals.

BA, CX, KL, AF, LH, JL, NH all uses frozen meal for flights departing from Europe. I think all QR flights departing from Qatar/Europe have frozen meals in economy class too (except breakfast)! One can easily tell the difference. If it's freshly made, the cover of the container is like a cover/lid and you can easily open it; the container is sealed completely if it is frozen food.

Indeed, recently TG and SQ also start serving frozen meals for flights departing from Europe as well.

https://flight-report.com/en/report/...-Singapore-SIN
Take a look at the cover of the container and compare it with other routes and you will see the difference.

I know CX frozen food are produced in Germany. All CX flights departing from any European destinations get the same main course each meal regardless you are from London or Madrid. The same goes for TG/JL/NH. TG started serving frozen meals from either Mar/Apr/May this year and the only way to avoid it is to order a special meal.
kaffir76 likes this.

Last edited by bart simpson; Nov 16, 2017 at 7:32 am
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:38 am

Almost forgot this!
Cringe worthy video of how our meals are prepared ...

Alawyer likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:40 am

Interesting!

Originally Posted by bart simpson
It actually has been the case for a lot of airlines already.
Mainly flights departing from Europe are using frozen meals.

BA, CX, KL, AF, LH, JL, NH all uses frozen meal for flights departing from Europe. I think all QR flights departing from Qatar/Europe have frozen meals in economy class too (except breakfast)! One can easily tell the difference. If it's freshly made, the cover of the container is like a cover/lid and you can easily open it; the container is sealed completely if it is frozen food.

Indeed, recently TG and SQ also start serving frozen meals for flights departing from Europe as well.

https://flight-report.com/en/report/...-Singapore-SIN
Take a look at the cover of the container and compare it with other routes and you will see the difference.

I know CX frozen food are produced in Germany. All CX flights departing from any European destinations get the same main course each meal regardless you are from London or Madrid. The same goes for TG/JL/NH. TG started serving frozen meals from either Mar/Apr/May this year and the only way to avoid it is to order a special meal.
If that were true then I'm happy to report that all meals in QR Y are not frozen, coz' it came with lids and not plastic wrap (KULDOHBOS)

Last edited by kaffir76; Nov 16, 2017 at 7:42 am Reason: Clarification
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by kaffir76
Almost forgot this!
Cringe worthy video of how our meals are prepared ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk2rhOLkZQg&t=1s
Is it cringe worthy because you feel the preparation method is not good?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:45 pm

Programs: NH, JL, SQ
Originally Posted by calguy77
Is it cringe worthy because you feel the preparation method is not good?
probably didnt like the presentation style

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.