Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The cost cutting on SIA begins to show.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Beolab
*SQ Y downgraded their ice cream from Haagen Daaz to Cornetto and Kit Kat Cones.

*Cheese and crackers are no longer offered with SQ Y meals.

*Jam no longer comes standard with bread in Y, but is available on request.
All not true — just got off SQ26 in Y and there was Haagen-Dasz and jam on the trays. Had cheese and crackers on both sectors of SQ25 last month as well (dinner JFK-FRA and lunch FRA-SIN), but not on SQ26 (probably because the meals are coded supper and light lunch.

Originally Posted by lokijuh
On my flight on Sunday (MEL-SIN) I, as I usually do, asked at the meal for Singapore Sling "when they get a chance" .... I might has well have been slapped with a "cannot-lah"...

"Could I have a Singapore Sling please, when you get a chance"?
"No, sorry, I don't have it on my cart?"
"Can I get it when you finish the meal service"
"Sorry I can't do that"
"OK I'll have a glass of wine"

(repeated during second meal service)
Odd... flew 6 SQ Y sectors in the past two months and got a Singapore Sling each time (sometimes during the post-takeoff drinks service and others with the meal), never had any problems.

Also conspicuously absent was the regular run through with trays of OJ/Apple Juice and Water.
Crew were very proactive with OJ/water on my flights — on an overnight sector the FA serving even went up to each pax who was awake and proactively offered drinks (instead of just walking through and waiting to be flagged down). Was pretty impressed with that, never had that even on NH (where they come around with a different type of drink every 30 min lol).
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by whughes3
The pre-flight drinks are served from a tray of pre-filled glasses; they don't have the bottle so you can't ask them to pour more.
It's not like catering loaded up the plane with pre-filled champagne glasses. The FAs prep the drinks in the galley and they'd gladly get you a fuller glass if that's what you want. I sometimes ask them for water which is not on the tray and they come back with it later. Once an FA even brought me a bottle of water along with the glass as he heard me coughing and wanted me to have water during take off before they come around with drinks again.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:07 am

Talking

Originally Posted by Terminator8
This has never been the case for me. They've always asked if I wanted Champagne, I ask for Dom, they grab a bottle and fill me up.
Was the request fulfilled in J?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kevinoh
Was the request fulfilled in J?
Haven't flown J yet. It's always been F. But the miles will run out eventually and I might be forced into steerage.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
Originally Posted by Terminator8
This has never been the case for me. They've always asked if I wanted Champagne, I ask for Dom, they grab a bottle and fill me up.
You are presumably talking about F; my comment was referring to J.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:37 pm
Suspended

You are presumably talking about F; my comment was referring to J.
Fair enough.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:26 pm

The pre-flight drinks are served from a tray of pre-filled glasses; they don't have the bottle so you can't ask them to pour more.
Indeed. And in these instances, should one need more either ask for a second glass or do what I saw a passenger do earlier this month - take two half filled glasses right away, pour contents of the second glass into the first glass, hand back the second now empty glass and - viola! - now one full glass!
Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
Juat to make a liar of me, tonight on SQ919 I got a nice full glass of bubbly pre-flight!
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by truncated
Odd... flew 6 SQ Y sectors in the past two months and got a Singapore Sling each time (sometimes during the post-takeoff drinks service and others with the meal), never had any problems.

Crew were very proactive with OJ/water on my flights — on an overnight sector the FA serving even went up to each pax who was awake and proactively offered drinks (instead of just walking through and waiting to be flagged down).
Which routes? My issues always seem to be with SIN-MEL or vice versa.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Which routes? My issues always seem to be with SIN-MEL or vice versa.
JFK-FRA, FRA-JFK, JFK-FRA-SIN, SIN-FRA-JFK (and 4 of those flights were 100% full in Y at that).
Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by kylie79
and I agree that some of SQ's cost cutting is starting to show in small ways but all airlines are doing it. Even Emirates is not immune to this and they are:

Emirates will no longer be offering showers in first class between Dubai and Kuwait City, making it the second A380 route not to offer showers
Emirates will be cutting seafood special meals in economy on all flights.
Emirates will be cutting refresher towels with the welcome service in economy on all routes.

I think taking into account what other airlines are doing, SQ is still doing a relatively decent job inspite of the cost cuts. Imagine if SQ/Silk Air is cutting all meals on short haul flights like BA and the SQ crew have to peddle Nasi Lemak on the trolley. That would be serious costcutting.
I almost choked - peddling Nasi Lemak on the trolley ^

To be honest, I thank the powers that be (whoever in SQ) that the cuts are relatively small compared to the rest of the industry. Even our main competitor in dim sum land, CX, is going ten-abreast on 777s (horrors of horrors) + screwing around with the food makes SQ seem miles ahead of it.

Though I'm putting down my money on a resurgent and cheap MH...
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by MeltingAlf

To be honest, I thank the powers that be (whoever in SQ) that the cuts are relatively small compared to the rest of the industry. Even our main competitor in dim sum land, CX, is going ten-abreast on 777s (horrors of horrors) + screwing around with the food makes SQ seem miles ahead of it.
CX has been cost cutting much more obviously on food than SQ, so that makes SQ's recent cuts seem quite mild to me. The relative positions of catering has been preserved...

As for going 10 abreast in a 777, I should imagine it's only a matter of time before SQ has to do the same.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by KACommuter
As for going 10 abreast in a 777, I should imagine it's only a matter of time before SQ has to do the same.
It would just worsen SQ's load factor. So no need to increase seat count.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:58 am

Programs: KF*G, Cathay Silver
not that extreme... yet...

- my bubbly was still served a full glass during my recent outbound flight. When requested for seconds, no issues as well.

I guess the costcutting measures appear more prominent in Y ever since the introduction of PE recently. They're still relatively mild in my opinion and nothing worth losing sleep over.

- change of headsets in Y to the cheapo earpiece for audio.
- removal of crackers and cheese from Y meals. Not really a big setback I think, I've seen quite a number go to waste and uneaten. Probably done to create some differentiation in the PE meal products.
​​​​​​​
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MeltingAlf
I almost choked - peddling Nasi Lemak on the trolley ^

Though I'm putting down my money on a resurgent and cheap MH...

And CX's meals on business class seems very weak. Seems on par with premium economy on SQ. Their flagship lounge is however still amazing and the upcoming lounge revamp for Changi cant come any sooner.

Last edited by Lonsinla; Jan 16, 2017 at 8:39 am Reason: grammer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.