Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The cost cutting on SIA begins to show.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:22 am

I agree that I experience currently a general slip in the service provided on board by the crew (disinterested, "I-just-do-my-job" attitude, "lets-hope-we-get-back-to SIN-soon" attitude) and I seriously think SQ can better than that.

And iam think and tired of the ever same uninspired food offering in J and Y (they serve the same damned breakfast selection on longhauls in Y for 20 years+).

But on some things you listed I have a different observation:

Originally Posted by Beolab
**SQ Y downgraded their ice cream from Haagen Daaz to Cornetto and Kit Kat Cones.
The Haagen Dasz still pops up from time to time. Last time Haagen Dasz was served to me in Y was 01jan back from FRA (I declined it, though). Flights from HKG seems to have it more often, I think it depends a bit on location.

***Cheese and crackers are no longer offered with SQ Y meals.
Pretty much depending on destination and flight duration. Yes the "short"-hauls they don't have it anymore.

****Slippers and socks no longer offered on J & F flights under 4 hours.
Different experience here, at least on red-eyes they still distribute them.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:43 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by SQ325
I agree that I experience currently a general slip in the service provided on board by the crew (disinterested, "I-just-do-my-job" attitude, "lets-hope-we-get-back-to SIN-soon" attitude) and I seriously think SQ can better than that.
On my flight on Sunday (MEL-SIN) I, as I usually do, asked at the meal for Singapore Sling "when they get a chance" .... I might has well have been slapped with a "cannot-lah"...

"Could I have a Singapore Sling please, when you get a chance"?
"No, sorry, I don't have it on my cart?"
"Can I get it when you finish the meal service"
"Sorry I can't do that"
"OK I'll have a glass of wine"

(repeated during second meal service)

Also, during flight the IFE stopped working, call buzzers were going off left right and centre, I personally asked same flight attendant to get it re-booted (as did several others). About 20 mins later, nothing had been done, and in flight supervisor walked through, someone almost literally grabbed and told him to do something about it as everyone was unhappy, and it was rebooted immediately after that. Seriously? 20 mins and no action from anyone until almost physically accosted. I mean maybe they want us to all fly Scoot. This is not the SQ I knew and loved.

Also conspicuously absent was the regular run through with trays of OJ/Apple Juice and Water.

Last edited by lokijuh; Jan 12, 2017 at 12:49 am
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:59 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Interesting rant by OP with no real evidence...

My five cents worth:
  1. Haagen Daaz and Evian - over-priced and over-hyped brands. I have had better ice cream and (IMHO) water - in my eyes, nothing beats San Pellegrino...
  2. Pre-departure drink is often not even real Champagne - often it is actually just sparkling wine (at least in business) on many airlines... Honestly, do I care? It's often rushed anyway and since I usually board last, I often don't even have time for it before push off...
  3. Amenity kits - that's different story. Flying from Australia to Europe, you have to do two legs, so you can theoretically get good stuff in "little bottles" that can last for some time of stay... Quality is often really good... So, yes, I miss that on SQ.
  4. What's your (OP!) problem with asking for Champagne in the lounge? I personally don't mind...
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:20 am

On FRA-SIN they started serving breakfast about 1,5 hours to arrival. After distributing the trays, the Captain announced that the remaining 1 hour is expected to be bumpy, so he turned on the seat belt sign.
The crew started to collect the trays:

I asked: "Are you still serving coffee?"
FA: " No, we do not serve hot beverages when the seat belt sign is on"
Me: "So I cant get a coffee now?"
FA: "No Iam sorry"
But eventually me and a few other disgruntled passengers got some coffee. I was obviously not the only one who complained.

I don't need to mention that there wasnt even slight turbulence.

I wonder why they cant start earlier with service if they expect a bumpy ride?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:09 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Perhaps they did not expect it. Perhaps it just came on the radar and they made the decision. BTW, SQ is notorious about this and about announcing it extremely loudly even during the "sleep" hours...
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh
"Could I have a Singapore Sling please, when you get a chance"?
"No, sorry, I don't have it on my cart?"
"Can I get it when you finish the meal service"
"Sorry I can't do that"
"OK I'll have a glass of wine"
By "cart" I deduce you were in Y. Isn't Singapore Sling only served in J?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:51 am

On FRA-SIN they started serving breakfast about 1,5 hours to arrival. After distributing the trays, the Captain announced that the remaining 1 hour is expected to be bumpy, so he turned on the seat belt sign.
The crew started to collect the trays:

I asked: "Are you still serving coffee?"
FA: " No, we do not serve hot beverages when the seat belt sign is on"
Me: "So I cant get a coffee now?"
FA: "No Iam sorry"
But eventually me and a few other disgruntled passengers got some coffee. I was obviously not the only one who complained.

I don't need to mention that there wasnt even slight turbulence.

Sometimes the captain turns on the seatbelt sign but forgets to turn off! Now that's infuriating...
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek
Perhaps they did not expect it. Perhaps it just came on the radar and they made the decision.
The flight over Andaman Sea up to Singapore can be bumpy. Nothing out of the ordinary. Service is therfor normally is starting much earlier to have more time to handle. The service lapses started already after take-off in Frankfurt (skipped the first drink service), honestly I had the feeling that the crew had a hard night out in FRA.....

BTW, SQ is notorious about this and about announcing it extremely loudly even during the "sleep" hours...
Know that Gave me a hard time when my daughters were young, now i dont bother anymore. Thats SQ....
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Sometimes the captain turns on the seatbelt sign but forgets to turn off! Now that's infuriating...
Infact he announced that he will keep it on until landing....
Old Jan 12, 2017, 6:29 am

http://www.airlinereporter.com/2016/07/singapore-airlines-economy-class-great-way-fly/

U do get Singapore sling in economy.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
By "cart" I deduce you were in Y. Isn't Singapore Sling only served in J?
No, for as long as I remember it's also served in Y. In fact I did get almost half of a Sing Sling from the pre-meal drinks run (I kid you not, the cup was less than half full - I mean if they want to save money on it, just eliminate it altogether).

But this ain't the half of it for that flight, between long wait at the carousel (5 mins for the first bag after luggage started coming out, and another 10 more for the second, both tagged with first priority tags), incompetent call centre staff (error during ticketing of award, called AU number and spent 15 mins with them before politely terminating call and ringing SG number, who ticketed within 30 secs) and a damaged zipper that they refuse to fix, I'm in a mind to fire off my third complaint in six months - relating to my last three economy med-long haul flights (first complaint relating to cancelled flight and the lack of help from call centre to rebook, second to poor onboard service particularly where crew completely missed landing safety checks on seatbelts and ensuring seats upright, and now this).

After 12 years, 300+ flights and zero complaints, where I have had nothing but praise for the airline, I'm not sure if I am just having bad luck, or that the airline has given up on economy passengers.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:40 am

[*]Haagen Daaz and Evian - over-priced and over-hyped brands.
Just like SQ, then.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:27 am

Zing!
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: Free agent!
One shouldn't have to go on business class and bring one's own toiletry bag to the bathroom to "fill" with toiletries.

In any case, many such amenity kits are sponsored by the toiletry brands anyway.

And for those that don't want "random tiny bottles of stuff" there's really nothing to stop you from declining to take one when offered.
IIRC, SQ C bathrooms are stocked with toothbrushes, hand lotion and combs. Maybe shaving razors too? Not sure what I'm filling my own toiletry bag with from the bathroom when it's all stuff I'd use while in the bathroom.

If the amenity kits are sponsored and therefore not costing SQ money, perhaps they have realised that passengers care less than FTers do about amenity kits? Obviously I know I don't have to take a kit but it all seems like a waste to produce tons of tiny bottles containing products of varying quality.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Grando
Just like SQ, then.
Hmmm... My two last trips MEL-SIN(SQ)-FRA(LH) and back in business, were cheaper than MEL-BKK(TG)-FRA(LH) and back (both bought from LH and ticketed on LH stock) and half the price of MEL-LHR on QF...

So, in my books, SQ is over-hyped, but not over-priced...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.