Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines records low passenger numbers on Canberra flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2016, 5:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-0...ra-leg/8088398

Perhaps the route is better placed with an A330-300 rather than B777-200ER!
Old Dec 11, 2016, 7:02 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Stats covered first 6 SIN-CBR-WLG and first 6 WLG-CBR-SIN flights, in the last 9 days of September.

Hard to conclude anything meaningful on these figures alone, as "returning" traffic probably only just starting to kick in at the end of the month.

October figures will probably be more insightgul.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by 380Flyer

Are you sure? AFAIK, the A330-300 has same or higher number of seats than B777-200ER, depending on the 200ER retrofit status.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:15 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Stats covered first 6 SIN-CBR-WLG and first 6 WLG-CBR-SIN flights, in the last 9 days of September.

Hard to conclude anything meaningful on these figures alone, as "returning" traffic probably only just starting to kick in at the end of the month.

October figures will probably be more insightgul.
Agreed, although actual loads were even worse than indicated. The inaugural flights had decent loads (albeit many comped/industry/media). Thus the other 5 were quite a bit less than the average quoted.

I flew 4 of those 6 flights(!) and this is consistent with my experience.

I note that SQ is offering 50kg free baggage allowance in economy and 60kg in business class in the current sale between Wellington and Canberra.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:55 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by 380Flyer

Wondering any updated news, is it doing better? Went to Costco in Canberra (its on back side of the airport) and the SQ jet there (the only plane at the gates at the time), and was wondering how it's doing for a small town airport.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Originally Posted by Taipei
Wondering any updated news, is it doing better? Went to Costco in Canberra (its on back side of the airport) and the SQ jet there (the only plane at the gates at the time), and was wondering how it's doing for a small town airport.
After an early wobble it seems things are looking up.. http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-...15-gtrosk.html
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by cmdsea
After an early wobble it seems things are looking up.. http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-...15-gtrosk.html
Not sure if the November/December can be counted as representative. The (main) school holidays in SIN are falling in this period and SQ did quite some advertising to promote CNR as a holiday destination. I guess that SQ could manage to draw quite some holiday makers from SIN as the pricing was quite attractive and CBRs new on SQs map.

But lets wait and see.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:53 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
My SIN - WLG flight in early January had mainly UK passengers heading to both CBR & WLG in Business.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:39 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I have been flying in and out of CBR for work for the last few months. I noticed the following:

- Very easy to get to/from CBR by car. So anyone living 2 hours drive away from CBR should just go there rather than say drive to SYD (due to traffic), even if Sydney is closer;
- My colleagues has been talking about it, CBR becomes an international airport again. They seemed to be very proud of it. So I am sure that it is in their mind for sure in terms of selecting flights for overseas.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:27 am

If only VA were in star alliance (no, it's not going to happen), this service would be excellent for star alliance awards in business as it uses older aircraft - for connecting to/from MEL(or SYD for that matter) ...
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:37 pm

So with the low loads, have we seen prices for CBR go down since launch?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:28 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I don't know about CBR prices, but ex-WLG the launch fares were considerably less than the usual AKL/CHC fares; and seems only recently to have ended.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by SQ325
The (main) school holidays in SIN are falling in this period and SQ did quite some advertising to promote CNR as a holiday destination.
My goodness, that's the last thing I would have seen Canberra as.

I mean for holiday destinations Singapore residents can always use the likes of Scoot and jet away far more cheaply to far more interesting destinations. They can even fly direct to OOL (Gold Cost) from SIN.

If they do, however, manage to shift the emphasis to tourists and holidaymakers then maybe they should hand over this route to Scoot, does that seem like a reasonable option?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:57 am

Surely aiming at tourists and holidaymakers is just to (attempt to) fill the half of the aircraft they can't fill with government and business traffic? That's a different proposition to Scoot who would half to fill the whole plane with holidaymakers.

Whilst I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to first timers, couple it with Snowy Mountains it can be interesting region to visit. Also, I wonder if they will make a thing about it being the quickest way to get to any sort of ski-field during June-August?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Surely aiming at tourists and holidaymakers is just to (attempt to) fill the half of the aircraft they can't fill with government and business traffic? That's a different proposition to Scoot who would half to fill the whole plane with holidaymakers.

Whilst I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to first timers, couple it with Snowy Mountains it can be interesting region to visit. Also, I wonder if they will make a thing about it being the quickest way to get to any sort of ski-field during June-August?
I did not see much of anything interest to tourist coming from far away. We drove from SYD to MEL, in Melb after they knew we drove asked why we visited CBR and most people in MEL found it boring (in various words), as did us for the most part (it was nice to see, but not sure would fly there, I found the regional towns as we drove more interesting). My thoughts was the local CBR market or government related business was big enough to support this flight. .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.