Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines records low passenger numbers on Canberra flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Airlines records low passenger numbers on Canberra flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:57 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Taipei
...in Melb after they knew we drove asked why we visited CBR and most people in MEL found it boring (in various words)
Melbournians will find any city in Australia apart from theirs boring.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Taipei
I did not see much of anything interest to tourist coming from far away.
I did say region, not just CBR itself. Throw in Batemans Bay on the coast (2hrs) or Snowy Mountains (2-3 hrs), and coupled with 2 or 3 days in CBR itself, it's not a bad destination - but car rental is a must.

CBR itself does have some interesting things, like the mint, National gallery, National museum, National library, Film Archives, High Court, Parliament etc, all of which have tours, although I expect a lot of these could be of more interest to Australians than overseas tourists. Also more of a family destination, not really that great those in their 20s!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by aster
My goodness, that's the last thing I would have seen Canberra as.
The "new" is the exiting thing for Singaporeans. Singaporeans know Perth/Sydney/Melbourne/Goldcoast quite well as holiday destinations, so nothing interesting to tell back home.

I mean for holiday destinations Singapore residents can always use the likes of Scoot and jet away far more cheaply to far more interesting destinations. They can even fly direct to OOL (Gold Cost) from SIN.
Scoot is not appealing to everyone. Its drawing more of a younger budget minded crowd (at least that's what I experienced).

If they do, however, manage to shift the emphasis to tourists and holidaymakers then maybe they should hand over this route to Scoot, does that seem like a reasonable option?
I don't think that this is their intention, they just try to fill seats.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
So with the low loads, have we seen prices for CBR go down since launch?
I would drive to Canberra to save $ on a business or if they have first class instead of Syd. I recall there was a $500 saving on each tix when the service started in Canberra.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:37 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I would drive to Canberra to save $ on a business or if they have first class instead of Syd. I recall there was a $500 saving on each tix when the service started in Canberra.

How much does canberra airport wants to charge for their parking?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Melbournians will find any city in Australia apart from theirs boring.
Ha, something interesting to know!
Old Jan 25, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
I know several people who have flown parts of this route (WLG-CBR and SIN-CBR) and they report the flights to be almost full. A large proportion fly all the way SIN-WLG. Local CBR news also reports that local export business is benefiting from easier access to the Asian markets.

(EDIT - WLG not WEL)

Last edited by onlySIA; Jan 28, 2017 at 4:43 pm
Old Jan 26, 2017, 4:45 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by onlySIA
I know several people who have flown parts of this route (WEL-CBR and SIN-CBR) and they report the flights to be almost full. A large proportion fly all the way SIN-WEL. Local CBR news also reports that local export business is benefiting from easier access to the Asian markets.
So it seems we might see more asian carriers flying to CBR, i.e. CX, CZ etc. Or maybe QF could start international service out CBR.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:24 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by onlySIA
I know several people who have flown parts of this route (WEL-CBR and SIN-CBR) and they report the flights to be almost full. A large proportion fly all the way SIN-WEL. Local CBR news also reports that local export business is benefiting from easier access to the Asian markets.
Having flown this route quite a few times now, my observation is CBR-SIN vv has much better loads than WLG-CBR vv. The latter I don't think has had over 100 pax in any of the times I've flown it, except for the inaugural. To give an idea, boarding at CBR for WLG or at WLG for CBR typically takes less than 10 minutes.

Originally Posted by Ausriver
So it seems we might see more asian carriers flying to CBR, i.e. CX, CZ etc. Or maybe QF could start international service out CBR.
Far too early to say. Even QR hasn't given a date for its CBR service.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
If its a light load and you are in economy you'd want to depart from here instead of SYD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.