Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Question: Child from Economy bunking in with mother on Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2016, 4:58 am
Original Poster

I came across this complaint in the SQ FB. And I thought the OP was overly upset (I admit that I am not a parent and do not have that point of view)

So I just wanted to gain more insight from FTers. What do you think SQ allows/should have done?

I am really disappointed with this airlines. So darned inflexible and rigid. Got a biz class tix for my wife and economy for my 3 yr old boy to London. Turned out that the air crew refused to let my boy rest with his mother and she ended up in the economy class with my boy. The biz class was given to my father in law who was also on the same flight. If there is turbulence, understandable that my boy needs to buckle up, but otherwise what's the harm of them staying together? This is not what a world class airlines should or will do. Totally unacceptable and trust me, u just lost another client.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:03 am

Good Job, SQ!

Buy the kid a biz ticket next time.

Simple. On to the next lesson.....
Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:14 am

Programs: OnePass, Delta
Originally Posted by Fleck
Good Job, SQ!

Buy the kid a biz ticket next time.

Simple. On to the next lesson.....
Rated: A+
Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:15 am

I'm a parent and I applaud SQ! That's really obnoxious, not to mention unsafe. I either buy business class seats for my kids or we all ride in economy.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:46 am

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
I was curious about what the reception of the post would be like on FB, but I couldn't find it.

As the OP will have noticed, the parent's complaint will win no sympathy here. With SQ, if you want access to the premium cabin, the only way* to do it is to book a ticket. It's very likely that any other comparable airline will behave the same way.

*with some extremely rare exceptions that don't include parents wanting to share their seat with their child
Old Nov 29, 2016, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chisquared
I was curious about what the reception of the post would be like on FB, but I couldn't find it.

As the OP will have noticed, the parent's complaint will win no sympathy here. With SQ, if you want access to the premium cabin, the only way* to do it is to book a ticket. It's very likely that any other comparable airline will behave the same way.

*with some extremely rare exceptions that don't include parents wanting to share their seat with their child
The post seems to have been deleted off FB. According to what I read previously... nobody supported OP and there were people who cited Flight Safety.

OP went on to reply that in times of turbulence the child could be returned to his economy seat to be buckled in.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 7:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Carriers publish rules for children and their seating arrangements and ticketing which are consistent with flight safety. Safety should never be compromised. It really is that simple.

Lest there be any doubt, SQ devotes a page to describing its requirements for children, including infants, small children and those requiring an adult in the same cabin.

http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/sg...with-children/

Whatever ambiguity there may be, it is quite clear that booking a 3 YOA into one class of service and the responsible adult into another, will not do the trick. If it were possible to predict turbulence well ahead, perhaps. But, it is not. Sudden turbulence means that one's seat must be readily accessible and telling a 3 YOA to run back to his seat in another class of service defeats the purpose of the policy.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Originally Posted by chisquared
Cached version is still available here:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ient=firefox-b
Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:25 pm

Typical entitlement, nothing new. I still see it on board, often with more gall than ever. One pensioner wanted to be moved to business on SQ860 because she was 'a pioneer'. I guess by that logic toddlers should be put into the cargo hold.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by hclee01
Cached version is still available here:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ient=firefox-b
Should be grateful they allowed the father in law to take the seat instead of being forced to look after the child in economy. He must have been happy with that decision ha!

Somehow I don't think SQ will be concerned at losing his business.

Last edited by Mlee888; Nov 29, 2016 at 7:09 pm
Old Nov 29, 2016, 7:41 pm

Applause to SQ. Some people think they are more clever than others. Buy a biz ticket for your child if you want them to fly biz, simple as that.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 7:42 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
I wonder if it's the same chap here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...-possible.html
Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:56 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by Phaze
I guess by that logic toddlers should be put into the cargo hold.
That is my preferred solution anyway
Old Nov 30, 2016, 1:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cowie
I think there should be merged thread for 'cheapskate chancers'.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cowie
Wow. That guy sure had his plan worked out.

This guy with the wife in business may not have worked things out as intricately lol.

He sure was unhappy on the complaint thread though! Countering everyone until it was probably too much for him.

Really not sure what he was thinking about how the child would get back to the economy seat in the even of turbulence. Have the wife send the child to economy before returning and strapping herself in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.