Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Question: Child from Economy bunking in with mother on Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Child from Economy bunking in with mother on Business

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Looks like the FB post has made it to OMAAT.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 4:08 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
If only it was easy to design a system wherein a minor can't be booked in a different travel class as the accompanying adult... that way cheapskates like this guy won't have the 'indignity' of being treated horribly by a world class airline

I do understand the part about there being space on the SQ J seat and maybe the child/infant on lap fare might be applicable to up to 3 year olds in premium cabins (still think the kid needs a J/F ticket based on the parent's class of travel)
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by chisquared
Looks like the FB post has made it to OMAAT.
Some of the comments are interesting. I find it a shame to read comments mention that even children with tickets for business class shouldn't be permitted.

Story published here also lol.

http://www.msn.com/en-sg/news/other/....../ar-AAkVKnc

Last edited by Mlee888; Dec 1, 2016 at 5:47 pm
Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:10 pm

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by Mlee888
I find it a shame to read comments mention that even children with tickets for business class shouldn't be permitted.
Why would it be a shame ? How will become those children as adults if they got spoiled as teenagers ? A little bit too easy life. The same applies to children in luxury hotels (sometimes even during school periods) rather than in holiday camps with their peers.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by behuman
Why would it be a shame ? How will become those children as adults if they got spoiled as teenagers ? A little bit too easy life. The same applies to children in luxury hotels (sometimes even during school periods) rather than in holiday camps with their peers.
Sitting them in business class doesn't mean they will get spoiled as teenagers. This is a poor assumption and generalisation on your part.

I sit my child in business class with me, because we believe in travelling together as a family (and I don't leave my kids behind in economy class), even if it means that I pay a child fare or redeem an adult fare. It doesn't mean that I am spoiling my kid and he will grow up a spoilt brat. It's also a treat for my hubby and myself, having worked very hard for the entire year.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 10:23 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by SQ319
Sitting them in business class doesn't mean they will get spoiled as teenagers. This is a poor assumption and generalisation on your part....
Teaching them entitlement by example is a pretty good way to ensure they'll grow up to be spoiled little princes and princesses.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 4:55 am

Programs: Kris Flyer, Airpoints, TrueBlue, QF, SPGGold, Hilton Diamond,IHG Spire
Well done Singapore Airlines for not allowing this to happen. Buy the child a business class ticket the next time you want him to travel business class. End of story.
#cheapskate
#feelingentitled
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Teaching them entitlement by example is a pretty good way to ensure they'll grow up to be spoiled little princes and princesses.
Referring to the original case, sure. That's sense of entitlement. However I was replying to the previous post that implies that kids shouldn't be allowed into business class at all, even with a paid J ticket. Do read my reply in full with reference to the quoted text, please. Don't take it out of context.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by SQ319
Referring to the original case, sure. That's sense of entitlement. However I was replying to the previous post that implies that kids shouldn't be allowed into business class at all, even with a paid J ticket. Do read my reply in full with reference to the quoted text, please. Don't take it out of context.
The remainder of your reply was waffle that doesn't relate to the thread - I read it.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 6, 2016 at 12:42 am Reason: delete unnecessary comment
Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
If someone is willing to pay for business class for their family that is not 'entitlement'.

The default setting is not necessarily economy for many people.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 6, 2016 at 12:43 am Reason: remove reference to quoted post now deleted
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:29 pm

Programs: LH, BA
Originally Posted by behuman
I'm sorry but that's just the worse post of the year. There is nothing wrong for children to go to luxury hotels and into business class. That is the parents right by paying for it. If you are annoyed by noise that's another thing. There is a difference between being spoiled and being taught the value of money. I have seen such children well aware of their privileges, not all have to be pricks.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
I was involved twice in perhaps a more nuanced situation.

I could only buy 1 business and 1 economy redemption coming from Sydney. So my 12 or 13 year old (it's a few years ago) went into the upstairs economy at the front and I went into the upstairs business at the back leaving about 2 rows between us. As she was over 11 she did not need anyone in the cabin with her.

She stayed in her seat until after the first meal service when she joined me to watch a movie. She buckled in and we both had earphones plugged in either side.

When the second meal was about to start she hopped back to her own seat.

Cabin crew in a rare moment of SQ common sense had no problem with it. Did it again a few months later when the same redemption permutation arose, with the same outcome.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nuster
I was involved twice in perhaps a more nuanced situation.

I could only buy 1 business and 1 economy redemption coming from Sydney. So my 12 or 13 year old (it's a few years ago) went into the upstairs economy at the front and I went into the upstairs business at the back leaving about 2 rows between us. As she was over 11 she did not need anyone in the cabin with her.

She stayed in her seat until after the first meal service when she joined me to watch a movie. She buckled in and we both had earphones plugged in either side.

When the second meal was about to start she hopped back to her own seat.

Cabin crew in a rare moment of SQ common sense had no problem with it. Did it again a few months later when the same redemption permutation arose, with the same outcome.
I believe that it is one thing to try with the understanding that one may get rejected.

The father who was complaining on SQ FB, on the other hand, stated that his son is unable to sleep without his mother.

Since he knew that... and it was a night flight.... well.... I really don't know what else to say about this.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 2:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Hmmmmm..... Three year old boy unable to sleep unless he bunks in with mommy. It must be an "interesting" marriage.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 5:49 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by flyasia
I'm sorry but that's just the worse post of the year. There is nothing wrong for children to go to luxury hotels and into business class. That is the parents right by paying for it. If you are annoyed by noise that's another thing. There is a difference between being spoiled and being taught the value of money. I have seen such children well aware of their privileges, not all have to be pricks.
Welcome to FT flyasia. Good that you think appropriate to judge mine the "worse post of the year" even being with FT only for a couple of days .

Of course parents have the right to include their children in their lifestyle. Never did I contest this and I kindly ask you to read my post: It is about spoiling the children and I persist with my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.