Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Redeeming miles for someone without a passport (yet)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2016, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, US, AS, DL kettle

Wondering if anyone has had to do this. I'm eyeballing a partner award on United for myself and my kids. I just remembered I have to go through the rigamarole of adding them as redemption nominees, and that page requires a passport number. My kids don't have passports yet (we have plenty of time to get them, though.)

Has anyone been able to redeem for an award for a nominee with no passport (and therefore no passport number)? How did you go about it?
Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:11 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
If I recall correctly, the passport numbers can be changed later on, so I'd just enter dummy numbers. As long as the names on the ticket and passport match, you should be ok. (Which would make sense because, at least in Singapore, you have to get new passports with new numbers every five years.) But if you want to be doubly sure about this, give Krisflyer a ring.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:31 pm

Yes, you can enter a dummy passport number and change it later.

For the names, the name in the magnetic strip (on the data page) must match with the ticket, so bear that in mind when you do their passports (after redeeming the tikcet).

Adding redemption nominee requires a passport, but they can be changed later on as well.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 11:13 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Do airlines possess the capacity to validate passport data anyway? I know the Advanced Passenger Clearance link sends the passport information off to the destination country once you've checked in but before that point they're wholly reliant on what you tell them. Besides APC only sends passport data to the destination country; it doesn't validate against the issuing country (unless they're one and the same). I did read that the Australian authorities were considering linking the airline's check-in system to the Immigration database so the airline would know if the passenger checking in would be denied boarding or not; I can see that leading to some interesting encounters between airline staff and annoyed passengers - but again that's at check-in, not before
Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:39 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RTWFF
Do airlines possess the capacity to validate passport data anyway? I know the Advanced Passenger Clearance link sends the passport information off to the destination country once you've checked in but before that point they're wholly reliant on what you tell them. Besides APC only sends passport data to the destination country; it doesn't validate against the issuing country (unless they're one and the same). I did read that the Australian authorities were considering linking the airline's check-in system to the Immigration database so the airline would know if the passenger checking in would be denied boarding or not; I can see that leading to some interesting encounters between airline staff and annoyed passengers - but again that's at check-in, not before
Yes they do, Immigration New Zealand (INZ) will refuse permission for a passenger to board a flight. If Airline staff override this the Airline will be fined and passenger on the next flight out of NZ.

Advance Passenger Screening

New Zealand’s border systems provide advance passenger screening to enhance the security of New Zealand's borders and minimise disruption for genuine travellers.

When you check in for your flight to New Zealand, an airline will conduct an Advance Passenger Processing (APP) check with INZ. INZ will generally give the airline clearance to bring you to New Zealand. However, you may be refused permission to board your flight to come to, or return to, New Zealand if:

you do not have an appropriate visa to enter New Zealand, or
your visa has expired, or
you are attempting to travel using a stolen or lost travel document, or
your visa has not been transferred to your current/new passport or the passport being used to enter New Zealand.

In addition, the TIETAC (New Zealand) system allows airlines to ask us about your New Zealand visa status at any time during your journey to New Zealand. TIETAC is a secure network that uses information like your travel document number, nationality and name to confirm your visa status and provide messages to carriers about whether you can travel to or transit New Zealand. TIETAC was introduced to minimise travel delays for people who’ve been granted eVisas.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by WLG Base
Yes they do, Immigration New Zealand (INZ) will refuse permission for a passenger to board a flight. If Airline staff override this the Airline will be fined and passenger on the next flight out of NZ.
Only after check-in.
Adding the redemption nominee does not need validation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.