Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Compensation Am I Entitled To?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2016, 11:22 pm

(almost) All kosher food is halal, but halal food is not kosher. I.e. kosher is more strict than halal

(exception is kosher food cooked using alcohol in the recipe, but this is pretty rare)
Old Nov 7, 2016, 2:07 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Having said that, I would just put this down to "stuff happens" category - and be happy with the voucher. A letter to SQ expressing concern about their failure to deliver and questioning if this was a systematic problem or just an isolated pair of incidents may be worthwhile - without the expectation of compensation.
Definitely "stuff happens" and travel, especially air travel, is such a complicated series of processes. I am sure every flight have tens, if not hundreds, of processes that must all align properly to have a satisfactory flight. From the moment you are searching for a ticket, ticketing, check in, baggage, food, staffing, airport scheduling and so on. One of those steps fail (and it happens from time to time) it can ruin the entire experience.

Unfortunately for the OP, a series of processes failed. Would I be happy with US75 ? Hmmmm if I was flying economy, definitely I'd take it - but then again, I don't eat economy food. Plus I would probably lose a kilo or two so short term pain for an immediate slight weight loss

A few years back had pre-ordered lobster thermidor on a long haul F flight and the person in 1A mistakenly was served my lobster whilstI was given her meal (mind you was the damn fried rice!! ). Anyway, all good, I did raise it but expected nothing more. Of course they were very apologetic and wanted to offer anything and everything they could do on-board.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by lokijuh
The OP chose to flying between Australia and the UK on an airline that offered food that met his/her specific dietary requirements. It's not unreasonable to expect them to deliver on that. Many airline offer special meals - no need to travel on private jets.
I agree with lokijuh's statement above.

Given the number of flights that SQ offers to both the EU and the US I would assume that Kosher meals ex-SIN are not rare. Also, given number of hours he was on the plane without acceptable food I believe he is due compensation above what was provided in-flight. OP should write to SQ to highlight the failure so it does not happen to other passengers who require kosher or other religious meals.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: LX HON Circle
What happens to the OP if he eats a meal that is not kosher?? Many people don't eat kosher and they are all perfectly fine.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
What happens to the OP if he eats a meal that is not kosher?? Many people don't eat kosher and they are all perfectly fine.
OP explained why he eats Kosher food and the issues with his meals onboard.

OP also posted this upthread. You might find it helpful and informative.

Originally Posted by Ryanfozzie
The laws of kashrut are the laws surrounding kosher food. You may find this website useful (if you are interested): http://www.jewfaq.org/kashrut.htm

Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by warakorn
It was your decision to fly between Australia and the UK in economy class.
You did not pay to get a private jet with special ovens.
It's the XXI century and personally I don't see why airlines even bother catering to religious whims of some individuals.

If a reason is medical, fine. But "because God tells me to" shouldn't be a valid reason in this day and age. BYO should be the new standard for such cases.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aster
It's the XXI century and personally I don't see why airlines even bother catering to religious whims of some individuals.

If a reason is medical, fine. But "because God tells me to" shouldn't be a valid reason in this day and age. BYO should be the new standard for such cases.
That's nice.

Thing is, the airlines make the decisions as to what food and beverage and amenities they will offer their customers in all the classes they serve.

I'm guessing you don't own or run an airline.

Nonetheless, as long as airlines choose to offer the option of ordering special meals - dietary, child, vegan, lactose-free or religious - then there is an expectation on the part of the passengers who buy tickets, that their special meal will be boarded and served.

The OP and others have explained the experience with SQ and the reasons he ordered his specific meal.

I am sure others would agree with you about God and food, but it's not really up to you. So please feel free to enjoy your meals as they are, however, you might want to consider that not everyone is you.

Thank you.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 8:14 pm

Programs: KF EG
actually, the issue is only the FAs not warming up the food sufficiently for the TS, since it is double wrapped and the cooking instructions stated on the pack is not even enough to defrost the meal.

they are not able to confirm if it is warm inside (even TS who eats kosher food could not know until he opens it up) and that they cannot do anything to help again since they aren't allow to warm it up again (due to the kosher rules)

it is just a mistake. if you are ordering, just give a friendly reminder it needs to be up warm up much longer than stated
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kelvin L
actually, the issue is only the FAs not warming up the food sufficiently for the TS, since it is double wrapped and the cooking instructions stated on the pack is not even enough to defrost the meal.

they are not able to confirm if it is warm inside (even TS who eats kosher food could not know until he opens it up) and that they cannot do anything to help again since they aren't allow to warm it up again (due to the kosher rules)

it is just a mistake. if you are ordering, just give a friendly reminder it needs to be up warm up much longer than stated

Yes.

Along with other suggestions, I posted this upthread on October 27 (post # 24)

Originally Posted by 24left

I order Kosher on specific routes for specific reasons. Same with my veg meals.

One airline I fly frequently for my TPACs has very well-trained crew. They know exactly how to prepare and serve the Kosher and Halal meals.

However, my experience is that despite the packaging instructions on the hot portion, due to the double-foil wrapping, the length of time specified is actually not hot enough depending on the ovens on some aircraft. So, having once received a cold hot meal, I now ask the galley crew to heat it longer than required. That seemed to work.

Further, many of the side items are also frozen, like the bread rolls in the cellophane wrapping. That might be a bit more of a challenge if the cellophane is not oven-certified. But a creative crew can find a solution......
Old Nov 16, 2016, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Why does everyone want compensation.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Why does everyone want compensation.
In this case it's reasonable to understand why compensation is entitled for OP, what's not easy is trying to work out what the monetary value of this should be.

I was on SQ FB page earlier and SQ changed the aircraft of some passengers and those in PE were downgraded, the customers harped on about compensation to what in my opinion looked like they expected to be upgraded to J. I've sat on flights where a guy in row 31 got angry because a baby was crying next to him for about an hour and he asked if there was space in J also, although plenty of seats available behind. From a J point of view, if you paid a lot more why should a seat for a Y pax ever be given to you because of a crying child?
Old Nov 16, 2016, 4:52 am

Perhaps the airlines have created a rod for their own back by trying too hard to accommodate various dietary preferences?!

Singapore Airlines lists over 30 different types of special meals. It appears in some cases the crew need to be fully briefed in the preparation and serving, etc., of these meals, and their preparation relative to all the other types being prepared as well in the same restricted galley space.

EL AL claims that all food and drink served on board is Kosher, yet additionally lists 8 "strict" Kosher meal types.

Trying to pander to some folks then starts to impact on others. For example, Qantas has taken the step of removing all pork products and serving only halal accredited meals from their services flying through the DXB hub to LHR due to the alliance with Emirates: so as a non-religious person I can't have a breakfast of bacon and eggs despite paying $15,000 for a first class seat in case I offend somebody else on the aircraft.

IMHO the OP should be entitled to receive the product as advertised (basic consumer law), but this must be balanced by the price paid (apparently an economy ticket): the compensation received seems reasonable.

Personally, I always carry a supply of snacks just in case something goes wrong even in first class - I've known flights get delayed for hours, flights landing for medical emergencies, etc., leaving passengers without food for extended periods....
Old Nov 16, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by 24left
Thing is, the airlines make the decisions as to what food and beverage and amenities they will offer their customers in all the classes they serve.
And likewise nothing is guaranteed to be perfect, and every passenger needs to take that into account when booking something non-standard (and then expecting extremely non-standard procedures in case something isn't spot on).

I (especially) assume that they don't install separate ovens in case someone opens their meal, finds it a tad too cold for their liking, and then wants it reheated in a separate oven just for one single meal out of hundreds on the aircraft.

As mentioned, it's the XXI century and the "God wants my food reheated separate from everyone else onboard" is just not going to happen, even if only for logistical purposes.

At the end of the day, others have suggested the BYO approach which would be my advice as well.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 10:27 am
Suspended

So do we get to find out if OP received compensation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.