Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Compensation Am I Entitled To?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by warakorn
What is Kashrut?

Since when does a cabin crew (who has nothing to do with the flight in question) can ask to upgrade passengers?

I believed your posting was about food.
Why do you keep telling us about some attempts for upgrades. I fail to see the connection in this story. Well, I am sure SQ has a procedure to upsell to PE.

It was your decision to fly between Australia and the UK in economy class.
You did not pay to get a private jet with special ovens.
See, it is times like this I wonder why bother?

The laws of kashrut are the laws surrounding kosher food. You may find this website useful (if you are interested): http://www.jewfaq.org/kashrut.htm

The cabin crew on flight 1 felt very bad about the situation and sent a message to the ground staff at SIN to speak to the SIN office to try to process an upgrade on the next flight as a gesture of good will.

Actually I do not need a private jet with special ovens. Could you imagine the amount of stops I would need to do to refuel! Any airline that offers a kosher meal in any cabin should be able to prepare it following the instructions. It just seems there was an issue with the food being frozen and now thawed out enough before cooking it. I'm not bitter about it, so I'm not sure why it seems like you are telling me off?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: Anything that still flies F
Originally Posted by Ryanfozzie
I'm not bitter about it, so I'm not sure why it seems like you are telling me off?
Honestly I feel like a lot of the flak you are getting in this thread frankly comes from the title of the thread. "What am I entitled to" to me has for lack of a better term a very entitled air about it. Especially since its not like the airplane crashed and they left you on a deserted island. There are plenty of international flights where the food served in economy are probably just as edible as the frozen kosher meal you were served. But that might just be me.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 7:54 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
It was your decision to fly between Australia and the UK in economy class.
You did not pay to get a private jet with special ovens.
The OP chose to flying between Australia and the UK on an airline that offered food that met his/her specific dietary requirements. It's not unreasonable to expect them to deliver on that. Many airline offer special meals - no need to travel on private jets.

Having said that, I would just put this down to "stuff happens" category - and be happy with the voucher. A letter to SQ expressing concern about their failure to deliver and questioning if this was a systematic problem or just an isolated pair of incidents may be worthwhile - without the expectation of compensation.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:24 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
I totally agree with lokijuh. It would have to be an extraordinary circumstance where I ever thought an airline owed me compensation for anything - in fact, that's what travel insurance is for. I used to order special meals but I've noted that these are more often missed than otherwise, on a wide variety of airlines, so I never bother these days. If I really wanted to be sure that my dietary requirements are being met I'd take something in a paper bag. I'm just grateful the airline gets me safely and in reasonable comfort from A to B. Anything else is a plus.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
The cabin crew on flight 1 felt very bad about the situation and sent a message to the ground staff at SIN to speak to the SIN office to try to process an upgrade on the next flight as a gesture of good will.
Sorry, in my eyes your behaviour show signs of "over-entitlement". This is my personal opinion based on your storytelling.
And yes, it was not right by SQ to screw up the kosher meal thing. However, in my eyes you are overexaggerating this issue.
When I had a similar issue, where a prepaid meal on BA was not delivered (and most likely eaten by the crew), I got the advise on FT -> "Get a life and move on.".

How I see it what happened to you:
The cabin crew 1 wanted to mitigate the situation with the cosher meal screw-up by telling you "well, we'll try to give you an upgrade for the next flight". Whether you proactively pushed for it or not (you or the cabin crew got the idea for an upgrade), I cannot tell.
In fact the cabin crew knew they would be lying to you, because the cabin crew should know full well the upgrade policy of SQ. Now, it would be my question whether you believed them or not.

At my gate, a SQ manager came over, very sorry and said crew of previous flight asked for me to be upgraded to PE, but they could not do this. An hour into SQ306, my meal is served. Dinner this time which was fine (or so I thought). You've guessed it, it was frozen. The senior came over and was very sorry they could not offer anything else, nor upgrade to PE.
That last sentence is telling me that you were pushing for an upgrade again on the second flight with the cabin crew. Why else would the cabin crew come over to you and tell you "we cannot offer you an upgrade"?

This is something I had experienced far too often. A problem arises in the Economy section (e.g. PTV does not work; stinky passenger next to another passenger) and the affected passengers asks and then demands a free upgrade to a higher travel class.
This is not ok!
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WestCoastFlyer88
Honestly I feel like a lot of the flak you are getting in this thread frankly comes from the title of the thread. "What am I entitled to" to me has for lack of a better term a very entitled air about it. Especially since its not like the airplane crashed and they left you on a deserted island. There are plenty of international flights where the food served in economy are probably just as edible as the frozen kosher meal you were served. But that might just be me.
Ok, so let me apologise for this. I mean I guess I worded it wrong, and it is a shame I have done so as this is the most active I have been on the site. If I could try to justify the title though? It was my first time flying with them and I am a regular British Airways flyer. Threads with titles (or themes) of mine are very common in the British Airways forum. I feel there is a lot more love here for SQ than there is in the BA forum for BA.

Again, sorry to all if it seems like I was coming across and entitled to anything more than the other person
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTWFF
I totally agree with lokijuh. It would have to be an extraordinary circumstance where I ever thought an airline owed me compensation for anything - in fact, that's what travel insurance is for. I used to order special meals but I've noted that these are more often missed than otherwise, on a wide variety of airlines, so I never bother these days. If I really wanted to be sure that my dietary requirements are being met I'd take something in a paper bag. I'm just grateful the airline gets me safely and in reasonable comfort from A to B. Anything else is a plus.
Let me also apologise to you for any confusion. I guess I would have worded the subject differently. Agree the word entitled is wrong in this case. Very happy to get from A - B.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Sorry, in my eyes your behaviour show signs of "over-entitlement". This is my personal opinion based on your storytelling.
And yes, it was not right by SQ to screw up the kosher meal thing. However, in my eyes you are overexaggerating this issue.
When I had a similar issue, where a prepaid meal on BA was not delivered (and most likely eaten by the crew), I got the advise on FT -> "Get a life and move on.".

How I see it what happened to you:
The cabin crew 1 wanted to mitigate the situation with the cosher meal screw-up by telling you "well, we'll try to give you an upgrade for the next flight". Whether you proactively pushed for it or not (you or the cabin crew got the idea for an upgrade), I cannot tell.
In fact the cabin crew knew they would be lying to you, because the cabin crew should know full well the upgrade policy of SQ. Now, it would be my question whether you believed them or not.

That last sentence is telling me that you were pushing for an upgrade again on the second flight with the cabin crew. Why else would the cabin crew come over to you and tell you "we cannot offer you an upgrade"?

This is something I had experienced far too often. A problem arises in the Economy section (e.g. PTV does not work; stinky passenger next to another passenger) and the affected passengers asks and then demands a free upgrade to a higher travel class.
This is not ok!
Again, let me apologise to you. Not trying to state I am over entitled to anything I am not over exaggerating, but it is safe to say I won't post such a trivial issue on FT for advice. It just seems I have got my head bitten off.

Crew 1 were very sorry and I asked is there anything you can do? They said we can try to make you more comfortable on your next flight with an upgrade to PE, but this is not a promise.

I can assure you I did not demand this. I was just hungry

On the 2nd flight, I simply explained the situation and asked if they knew anything of a possible upgrade. Crew said 'sorry etc, and I simply said no problem and ordered a drink'.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 4:06 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
However, in my eyes you are overexaggerating this issue.
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Having said that, I would just put this down to "stuff happens" category - and be happy with the voucher.
I totally agree with lokijuh. It would have to be an extraordinary circumstance where I ever thought an airline owed me compensation for anything.
I will disagree entirely with you guys and side (sort of) with the OP on this one.

We're not talking about SIN-KUL here. Are you telling me that if you were to board 8hr and 12hr flights (respectively), and SQ or any other airline told you "oops we screwed up your food, you'll just have to make do with drinks for the whole flight," that you wouldn't feel you were entitled to something more than a scripted apology email?

Now certainly the magnitude of the expected "entitlement" is debatable - I certainly don't think that it's reasonable to expect an upgrade to PE.

Last edited by shuigao; Nov 2, 2016 at 4:13 am
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Ryanfozzie
No worries, I will explain

To cook a kosher meal in a non kosher oven, it need to be double sealed which these meals are sealed in foil and plastic. Only when I open the meal from the plastic and foil can I find out if if it is cooked or not. Unfortunately once I found out it was not cooked, should they heat it up further in the oven, the meal would no longer be kosher as it is not sealed and is being cooked in an oven that non kosher food would have been cooked in, such as pork.

Hope this clarifies slightly.
May be its just me - but I'd be super pissed at their attitude.
Dietary restrictions are Dietary restrictions - they cant be overlooked if you've specified in advance.

suggest you pursue further and high up.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by demue
+1. SQ offers kosher meals and the crew is trained in the prep steps as to heating and serving. No reason for this to go wrong so many times.

I second to write to them and just let them know about he issues. I wouldn't ask for more compensation, just share facts so they can improve. Especially in light of supposed rumors that SQ is looking at TLV as a future destination to serve,they better get this right.
SQ will never serve TLV as it needs to fly over Malaysia or Indonesian airspace upon taking off from SIN to get to TLV. Something I doubt either country will allow it to do.

Back to OP's dilemma - even if you were upgraded to PE, you still don't have a meal... So really don't know how this is to be resolved?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
I agree that the OP does have ground on the fact that the flights were of considerable length. Maybe he shouldn't have mentioned the upgrading offer part since the relevance is really not there (and it really doesn't matter who offered what in the end as it was not granted). The vouchers for the first flight should have solved that part, but what of the 2nd flight?

Also, I would have been quite proactive to ask the crew of the second flight to heat the meal longer since the 1st ones came back frozen using the standard times.

This isn't really a BTC screw-up, this is a religious requirement that may sound trivial to some but it really is no different from a halal meal or a vegan meal that is being offered. They should just not offer it if it is too much of a hassle for their ops, I don't think people would really protest if there is no Kosher option since then they would know that they should bring their own meal.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:02 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by shuigao
We're not talking about SIN-KUL here. Are you telling me that if you were to board 8hr and 12hr flights (respectively), and SQ or any other airline told you "oops we screwed up your food, you'll just have to make do with drinks for the whole flight," that you wouldn't feel you were entitled to something more than a scripted apology email?
I've already stated my position very clearly. Whatever the airline says, ultimately my diet is my responsibility. That's what being an adult means - taking responsibility for yourself. As far as I know, "special meals" are not an IATA obligation
Old Nov 3, 2016, 2:16 am

Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black
Originally Posted by lokijuh
I'd hazard a guess kosher food is not that common at Changi Airport.
not sure about Kosher, but Halal foods are plenty there
Old Nov 3, 2016, 9:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
I've already stated my position very clearly. Whatever the airline says, ultimately my diet is my responsibility. That's what being an adult means - taking responsibility for yourself. As far as I know, "special meals" are not an IATA obligation
Don't misunderstand me, I am not saying that you are wrong, nor am I expecting you to change your position. I am just stating my opinion, and we can all agree to disagree

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.