Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ may start TLV

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:38 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
This would be a natural route to add. There is significant technology and military ties between Israel and Singapore.

Originally Posted by hayzel7773
If the new government goes in for Malaysia, it will prob be viable but with the current governments desperation to keep the Malay vote, they will not do anything to irk the public the wrong way, especially by allowing TLV bound flights to pass by.

Malaysia cancelled hosting some event because they couldn't grant visas to the Israelis.

Malaysia needs to grow up.
The same country that threatens the water supply on a bi-annual basis? Shocking.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by keitherson
This would be a natural route to add. There is significant technology and military ties between Israel and Singapore.

Exactly. And not just Singapore.

Upthread, I posted the link to the CX forum where there is also discussion of a new route to TLV.

This poster asked:

Originally Posted by J343
.....Also, TLV? Why? Is there a large influx of Chinese or Israeli tourist between the city pair? I'm just curious with their business strategy, do they mainly cater to O&D passengers, transit passengers or something else? I know cargo plays a huge part in their business but I just didn't think TLV would come into mind. Similarly to PR, they mainly launch destinations to cities where there are large Filipino population (VFR traffic as they call it). Does SQ have the same strategy being that SQ and CX are the biggest rivals in Asia....

Originally Posted by 24left
Tech and finance would be more of a reason than tourism. I'll assume some cargo as well.

Also, quite a few tech and trade deals have been signed between various companies in PRC and Israel. Not sure if any of the mainline carriers fly to TLV, so if CX offers the direct flight, it could potentially have traffic from there (Just thinking out loud, not dealing with logistics)......

So while there are always tourists, there have been huge technology, R&D, etc agreements signed over the past year+, between Singapore and Israel as well as between major companies in PRC, South Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam - just to name a few examples.

I am not sure of how airspace rules affect SQ and CX in the same way that LY must take a different route to BKK etc. Again, someone posted on the CX forum about CX not having those same restrictions and their potential flight being significantly shorter in duration.

Either way, there are many countries who have political constituencies that don't like each other. But there are also countries and companies with great leaders, ideas and opportunities who can make it all work.

I prefer to be optimistic about SQ considering the route as it will benefit companies and populations not just in both countries, but elsewhere.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
So while there are always tourists, there have been huge technology, R&D, etc agreements signed over the past year+, between Singapore and Israel as well as between major companies in PRC, South Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam - just to name a few examples.
Originally Posted by J343
Also, TLV? Why? Is there a large influx of Chinese or Israeli tourist between the city pair? I'm just curious with their business strategy, do they mainly cater to O&D passengers, transit passengers or something else? I know cargo plays a huge part in their business but I just didn't think TLV would come into mind. Similarly to PR, they mainly launch destinations to cities where there are large Filipino population (VFR traffic as they call it). Does SQ have the same strategy being that SQ and CX are the biggest rivals in Asia.

Correct me if I'm wrong though but these are just my two cents
You are wrong, but not entirely. This sounds like an airliners.net post, because the posters in that forum obsess over VFR traffic and pulling up wikipedia stats on population and diaspora. The truth is that the posters want it both ways: they admit this kind of airline traffic is low-yield, but yet somehow think it is the smoking gun for establishing air service.

The actual truth is that the more complicated ties between a place, including schools, businesses, and governments, are what drive air traffic between places for legacy carriers. Why else would SQ launch WLG-CBR "Capital Express"? Why would AA fly RDU-LHR?

Business traffic will make or break a route for legacy carriers. They are not LCCs that can experiment with 738s with service 2 or 3x weekly and then pull out after a season if it's unsuccessful. Legacy carriers like CX and SQ have to put huge amounts of investment into these long-haul routes, and you can bet that they won't do it if there's no corporate traffic.

VFR and tourism traffic will just take the cheaper connecting option anyways.
I am not sure of how airspace rules affect SQ and CX in the same way that LY must take a different route to BKK etc. Again, someone posted on the CX forum about CX not having those same restrictions and their potential flight being significantly shorter in duration.
LY currently has to fly all around Saudi Arabia southward before going to BKK, which adds hours on the flying time. East bound traffic from TLV is actually quite scarce, other than Korean Air and AZAL.
Either way, there are many countries who have political constituencies that don't like each other. But there are also countries and companies with great leaders, ideas and opportunities who can make it all work.

I prefer to be optimistic about SQ considering the route as it will benefit companies and populations not just in both countries, but elsewhere.
The route would be huge for Israel. Right now Asia traffic into Israel is basically backtracking from Istanbul with Turkish. Royal Jordanian does fly, but their Asia network is quite limited and overlaps with El Al.

Originally Posted by Phaze
They don't steal land that isn't theirs so I would class them as more 'grown up' than Israel.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by keitherson
...East bound traffic from TLV is actually quite scarce, other than Korean Air and AZAL.....
HU also flies to TLV

Last edited by 24left; Oct 13, 2016 at 3:20 pm Reason: correction as per LY777
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
TG and HU also fly to TLV

TG doesn't fly to TLV. They codeshare with LY.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LY777
TG doesn't fly to TLV. They codeshare with LY.
Thanks. Corrected my post.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
You welcome
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:20 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Some off-topic posts have been deleted. A reminder this forum is for discussion on Singapore Airlines, not politics.

Kiwi Flyer
FT SQ forum co-moderator
Old Oct 20, 2016, 7:12 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Just catching up here

Assuming that SIN-TLV will be important for traffic from Australia to TLV as there are no direct flights from there to service the large Jewish communities of SYD/MEL to TLV
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
When did SQ launch a new route? The company is dead as a doodoo..the kebaya is really poorly fit now a days who makes that I suppose the cheapest in,PRC?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by damaxer91
Assuming that SIN-TLV will be important for traffic from Australia to TLV as there are no direct flights from there to service the large Jewish communities of SYD/MEL to TLV
I'm fairly certain that this route, if it does indeed happen, would be predicated on the substantial amount of business being conducted between Singapore and Israel. There are very strong ties in tech, military, logistics, biotech, etc. The list is long and diverse.
kevinoh likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by ashkale
When did SQ launch a new route? The company is dead as a doodoo..the kebaya is really poorly fit now a days who makes that I suppose the cheapest in,PRC?
Just announced (SIN-CGK-SYD) and launched one (SIN-CBR-WLG) last month.

No dead as a doodoo airline would launch fifth-freedom routes. Not that your comment didn't have sense though. It's just outdated by five over years. SQ was dead as a doodoo in terms of launching routes then.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 6:26 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by MeltingAlf
Just announced (SIN-CGK-SYD) and launched one (SIN-CBR-WLG) last month.
You've taken the bait, but I will too.

SIN-DUS also launched this year. Plus two existing one-stops converted to non-stop SIN-MAN & SIN-SFO (with MAN-IAH replacing DME-IAH, and ICN-LAX replacing ICN-SFO).

But SIN-BCN-GRU gone.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:06 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
So CX has launched the HKG-TLV nicely falling into Middle East for AAdvantage.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ashkale
So CX has launched the HKG-TLV nicely falling into Middle East for AAdvantage.
....and on the A350-900.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.