Wiki Posts
Search

Assistance required at Changi

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, EK, Hilton H, Starwood, A-Club
Assistance required at Changi

My wife has developed a bad knee after an accident and finds it painful to walk. When we transfer from Sq321 from LHR to get the SYD flight if she needs a help do we need to book this through SIA or through the airport?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Bluecardholder
My wife has developed a bad knee after an accident and finds it painful to walk. When we transfer from Sq321 from LHR to get the SYD flight if she needs a help do we need to book this through SIA or through the airport?
Call SQ or thru the website, request for wheelchair assistance for each sector of your journey. Its free. And your wife will get wheelchair assistance in London(T2 has very long hallways...), Singapore and upon arrival in Sydney.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 2:01 am

Programs: Accor Plus Plat, Marriot Plat, AF Silver
I would also recommend to call ahead of time to warn them.

Back in February, the morning of my flight to Sydney, my left knee got completely stuck and very painful, I could barely put the left foot on the ground without instant joint pain.

I still managed to get to the airport and asked if I could get at least an electrical car ride to the end of the hall (15mn walk) but they told at Changi me I had to "book and pay ahead" for this service.

I managed to crawl/jump/use the luggage cart to make it on time for my flight just to see another electric cart bringing someone else in exactly the same condition I was in. When I asked how they managed to get on a car like that, they just said that the Changi employees saw him in pain and offered a free ride.

Go figure...

Luckily the SQ team was very helpful and gave me about 15 pillows so I could lock my left knee for the whole 7-hour flight and managed to reach destination.

Julien
Old Sep 29, 2016, 6:00 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Just tell them when you check-in.
I normally send an email to the SQ address at the departing airport explaining my problem, SQ at least with me have always been as accommodating as they possibly could and will always arrange wheelchair assistance for me, not just through Changi but other airports if needed as well.

Last 2 flights with them though was a big surprise on both legs though as they moved two people that were supposed to be next to me to allow me the entire 3 seat row to be able to put my leg up if required, I only found out about that when I actually got to the airport and the woman printed my tickets, I was just very lucky that the SQ flights weren't quite full like my Silkair ones were.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by generikz

I still managed to get to the airport and asked if I could get at least an electrical car ride to the end of the hall (15mn walk) but they told at Changi me I had to "book and pay ahead" for this service.

Julien
Strange they told you it is a paid service. I know that wheelchair assistance is free. Did they ask you to pay in advance for the buggy ride or both for the buggy ride and wheelchair?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by generikz
That's terrible. They may be referring to something like this: https://www.allwaysvip.com/

In any case, the ground agent was terrible, and should have offered the wheelchair service seeing your condition.

Special assistance is free in most airports via the airline you are travelling with, however, please call ahead to arrange so that they can arrange for the necessary manpower.

Additionally, Changi Airport offers complimentary wheelchairs for use in the terminal.

http://www.changiairport.com/en/pass...ssistance.html
Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by chris19992
Just tell them when you check-in.
Requesting for it at check-in while usually mean a long wait as they need to scramble to find the manpower and resources.

If you know u need the assistance, always ask in advance.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 5:57 am

Programs: QF, KLM, BA
This may or may not be too late for the OP, but I'm going to share my experience anyway.

I was booked on a BA ticket, but they moved me onto a SQ flight due to weather disruptions. I'd already requested mobility assistance on the BA booking. This was obviously transferred onto the SQ booking.

When we arrived in Changi, there was a staff member there waiting for us. From the time we were booked onto SQ until the time we arrived in Changi was just under 24 hours, but it all happened without a hitch.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, EK, Hilton H, Starwood, A-Club
Many thanks for all your replies - hopefully the knee is on the mend so fingers crossed she should be ok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.