Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experience with transit in PVG

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
I used to live in Shanghai for a few years until recently, so I never had to transit through it, but my advice to you and anybody else who is planning on transferring through PVG or any other Mainland Chinese airport is:

Don't do it!!

The reasons have mainly already been given by other posters, but what puts me off the most is the general unpredictability of travelling in and through China. For a starter, flights are very often delayed in and out of Shanghai (and most other airports), so you never know when you will really arrive or depart. Then staff tend to be unwilling, unable to help or both whenever things do not go according to plan. Nobody takes any responsibility for anything, as it is not in their culture to take ownership for anything that goes wrong (As that would lead to a loss of face). Don't expect any flexibility when trying to find solutions, for the same reasons, especially if you are a foreigner and don't speak Chinese.

If you don't encounter any problems during your trip, it will still be a hassle. If you do, then you will really be up the proverbial creek without a paddle...
Old Sep 18, 2016, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Mainland China is a tightly controlled country, hence, a smooth and easy intl-to-intl transfer experience is simply not possible. The PVG airport managers probably would like to introduce a smooth transit experience, but it is not their decision.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. I did this connection a few years ago, and I was just wondering if things have improved. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like it!

If I could, I would definitely avoid this, but this is a redemption booking so I'm not exactly spoilt for choice. Guess I just have to brave it
Old Nov 9, 2016, 2:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MIleagePlus, Skywards
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
+1 on this. I have done this route twice and I have to say never again. You go through immigration and have to collect your bags and check in again. If you can re-route, go via HKG. Smoother transit.
Is this the same scenario if transiting through PEK too? I must collect my bags and then drop them at the check-in counter? In PVG I got screwed cause inbound (AA) luggage allowance was greater than my outbound (SQ) even thought it was all booked on a single PNR/record from AA on the aa.com site.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 4:17 am

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by aragno
Is this the same scenario if transiting through PEK too? I must collect my bags and then drop them at the check-in counter? In PVG I got screwed cause inbound (AA) luggage allowance was greater than my outbound (SQ) even thought it was all booked on a single PNR/record from AA on the aa.com site.
Negative. You don't have to collect your bags again nor leave the airport when transiting in Beijing. It is only a hassle if you transit through PVG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.