Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Interline to Thai Airways or Cathay Pacific?

Old Sep 4, 2016, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

I'll be flying on Singapore airlines next month from SFO-HKG, using points to fly in first class.

I want to continue right on to Bangkok.

If I were to book a ticket with TG continuing on to Bangkok 75 minutes after I arrive in Hong Kong, would Singapore Airlines interline the bag so I don't have to collect it in Hong Kong?

I know there are risks of not making the flight and TG not accommodating me on a separate ticket, but I'm curious about the interline issue.

SQ and TG are obviously Star alliance partners, but the SQ website seems to say that they only interline on partners if it's on the same ticket, issued by SQ.

I'm wondering if anyone has any real life experience with this.

If I booked a later flight to Bangkok on Cathay Pacific, would they interline my bags to Cathay? Would flying in first class to HKG (on points) help my chances at all?

Thanks.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Normally SQ will interline to anyone except LCCs. And as you're in First /Suites Class anyway, they won't say no to you for that matter.

Yes you can interline to CX or TG. You can be fly in coach if you want. Just show them your ticket.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Sep 5, 2016 at 7:50 am
Old Sep 12, 2016, 10:06 pm

Programs: SQ / CX / KL
While SQ can check-through your luggage, they are not obiliged to unless the bookings were made on the same PNR. I have had times when they refused to do it (flying out from SIN). YMMV.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Interesting. I just flew in Suites class from Narita to LAX and the check in lady asked if I had any onward connection from LAX; I think she was prepared to check my bag.

I'm going to risk it -- booking a separate ticket on Thai Airways leaving 70 minutes after arrival in Hong Kong
Old Sep 14, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond
I'll throw in my personal experience. I went the other way, asking TG to through-check bags on to SQ. I was flying TG from KTM-BKK and SQ from BKK-SIN-LAX. They were able to do it without a problem. On the way out there was a different story. United was not able to get my bags on to SQ from IAH-SIN-BKK after I flew from DAY-ORD-IAH. I don't think Star Alliance has a system-wide policy on this and it's up for each airline to decide whether they will or won't.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd
While SQ can check-through your luggage, they are not obiliged to unless the bookings were made on the same PNR. I have had times when they refused to do it (flying out from SIN). YMMV.
This is untrue.

It all depends on the airport regulations... eg UK airports, US / Canadian airports do not allow through connections if there is an overnight or different day connection involved.

Majority of the time, they can and they will.... unless things will change in the future like Oneworld's new rules.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

As a follow up, I flew las night from SFO to HKG on SQ1. On check in, I asked the agent to check my bags through to my Thai Airways flight to BKK that was leaving HKG 70 minutes after my arrival.

The agent had to confer with a supervisor, and then came back and said she might not be able to do it, but then 30 seconds later she was printing the bag tags with "BKK" on it and I was good to go.

We arrived in HKG 30 minutes early and I went to the Thai Airways transfer desk, inconveniently located on the West side of the terminal, to register my bag claim ticket with them and get a boarding pass. Bags made it on the TG flight to Bangkok without incident.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.