Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ gives Schooling 1 million miles + KF elite gold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ gives Schooling 1 million miles + KF elite gold

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by 380Flyer
If Gold is the highest level in the Olympics, then SQ should have given him the highest level within their loyalty Programme and as anon time gesture, Lifetime PPS Club Solitaire!

All SQ tried to do with Schooling's win was to take the limelight and promote its own brand but there was an epic failure with the photography at Săo Paulo Airport where Schooling was not in the centre stage - he was in the back (some goof head with flight attendants hands over him was depicted - note: I bet th flight attendant though this joker was Schooling). Why didn't the photographer or the SIA crew/Pilots correct the situation - completely brainless!!!
Agree 100% on the photography at Săo Paulo Airport, that wasn't well done and has Schooling looking like an intern at the back.

Commercial decision for SIA on the status awarded. I'd have just given him the 1 million miles.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Coathanger
..Commercial decision for SIA on the status awarded. I'd have just given him the 1 million miles.
I would have been even stingier ... but then I hate sports ...
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss
I mean come on, SQ may be owned by Temasek, it is still a list commercial company which has to answer to its shareholders. He is a gold medalist at the olympics, he didn't become the president of the republic nor he is a war hero.

What they did is a nice gesture and is probably a PR one but It is already quite nice.
He is a national hero.

Again like I said, what does it cost to SQ? If there is empty seat on the plane, it does not cost additional cents to SQ.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Alawyer
At least we now know what we have to do to get an upgrade on SQ - score a gold medal in the Olympics.

Btw if you guys are wondering who this Schooling guy is, here he is. Somewhere.
schooling should be in the center front, not that guy
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Coathanger
Agree 100% on the photography at Săo Paulo Airport, that wasn't well done and has Schooling looking like an intern at the back.

Commercial decision for SIA on the status awarded. I'd have just given him the 1 million miles.
Gold status to make award redemption easier.....
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:52 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by lingua101
..I think he deserves 1 unlimited business class seat on SQ flight (subject to avail).
..Again like I said, what does it cost to SQ? If there is empty seat on the plane, it does not cost additional cents to SQ.
That is patently absurd.

It costs SQ a crapload of money to implement such a benefit. Adjusting the IT, fuel. food, booze, lounge usage .... but worst if all opportunity cost. No matter when you give away that seat, you may loose out on revenue.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:33 am

Quite right ^. Do passengers not eat and drink at the very least?

And he is not a 'hero'. I don't think you, along with most of the world's population frankly, understand what that word actually means. What he has achieved is superb, and to beat the best while doing it, even better. However, he is no hero.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 2:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
It's not that bad.
True that cars are expensive compared to USA. But the public transport system is affordable and frequent. Having been stuck in a 2 hr jam in Bangkok that typically takes 6 mins,I very much appreciate the COE system to limit the number of cars.

Most companies provide some form of free/subsidized healthcare/dental.

Housing is tricky cause Singapore is an island with limited land. We just have to make the best of the cards we are dealt with.

What matters most is we are safe to walk around the streets, even late a night, and the great food that singapore is known for.

Anyway, looks like he is flying sin-iah either on 19th or later, assuming he manage to get permission from UT Austin.

Originally Posted by weero
Depends on the item.

Cars carry an easy 250%-300% tax overall and the taxation system is very cryptic and indirect, you are taxed for lots of items you either never receive (health benefits) or are not aligned to anything real (provided housing and monopoly on land), you have many monopoly items (all commodities) which are overpriced, and there is lots of product and import barriers.
Unless you are either poor, lowest middle class, or have a very high income, these items add up to a European tax bracket ...
Old Aug 17, 2016, 3:35 am

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Originally Posted by shuigao
Fly on J on SQ free for life? That's crazy talk.
It's really up to the airline. They can also consider to put a time frame if it is all too expensive. Guus Hiddink was given free 1st class flying on Korean Air for 4 years. His achievement? For bring Korea to World Cup Semi Finals.

If Gold is the highest level in the Olympics, then SQ should have given him the highest level within their loyalty Programme and as anon time gesture, Lifetime PPS Club Solitaire!
Agree. I think it will be very good press for the airline and potentially cost less than letting him fly for free.

Why didn't the photographer or the SIA crew/Pilots correct the situation - completely brainless!!!
Even if people on the ground missed the opportunity to correct the situation, I would expect the PR department to pick this up. EPIC FAIL.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
He is a national hero.

Again like I said, what does it cost to SQ? If there is empty seat on the plane, it does not cost additional cents to SQ.
Agreed. It is a nice gesture that cost them nothing.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 1:40 am

Even Cebu Pacific can give the baby born on board lifetime free flight?

Why not SQ to Schooling?

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/08/woma...ir-flight.html

Last edited by lingua101; Aug 19, 2016 at 1:50 am
Old Aug 19, 2016, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by weero
That is patently absurd.

It costs SQ a crapload of money to implement such a benefit. Adjusting the IT, fuel. food, booze, lounge usage .... but worst if all opportunity cost. No matter when you give away that seat, you may loose out on revenue.
why SQ needs to adjust their IT?

It is not much different with having SQ employee on official business trip.

How much extra fuel, SQ should add because there is additional 1 schooling? I do not think his weight is more than 100kg.

How much extra booze SQ should provide? May be another 1-2 bottle of wine? He does not seem like a heavy drinker to me.

Meal how much the biz class meal really cost? $100?

Lounge, there is no marginal cost for additional person to use the lounge. 1000 or 1001 people it will cost the same for SQ own lounge. Contract lounge, may be base on # of pax. But I am not surprise, it this is also negotiated by block of pax rather than individual.

Opportunity cost? This one I agree. That's why I said, SQ can put condition that no peak period usage (like Chinese new year, Christmas/New Year)

Not all SQ flights are always 100% load factor.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by Phaze
And he is not a 'hero'. I don't think you, along with most of the world's population frankly, understand what that word actually means. What he has achieved is superb, and to beat the best while doing it, even better. However, he is no hero.

I guess you are not Singapore or even live in Singapore, are you?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 2:21 am
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Originally Posted by Phaze

I guess you have a far more restrictive definition of "hero" than I or most other people do. Do you have any concept of the amount of dedication, hard work, sacrifice and training it took Joseph Schooling and his parents to get him to the level of performance to win and Olympic gold medal? That's 'heroic' to me.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 2:23 am
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
Are you guys for real?

Many people are very successful in business, in art or in sport, let alone in charities. Should we give free sq business to all of them? And again SQ is not entirely owned by the government and its shareholders owe him nothing.

Again it's a gold medal, it's great congratulations, but you guys should relax, take a deep breath. By the way let's not forget that he hasn't lived here in 7 years, and the last interview indicates that he prefers to stay in the US, and not only for training reasons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.