Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

TSA Pre for Singapore [updated - coming soon]

Old Aug 11, 2016, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

I have researched this but I just want to be doubly sure, there is no TSA Precheck for Singapore Airlines correct? I am flying out to Singapore from JFK via Frankfurt in a couple of weeks in suite class. Are there any priority lines offered at JFK?

In addition, I am transferring from Singapore to Maldives, also on Singapore Airlines (business class). The window is a bit tight...the scheduled arrival is 7 am and the scheduled departure to Maldives is 10:10. The Singapore Airlines customer service people assured me that it is plenty of time, but I always take phone agents' advice with a grain of salt (unlike the advice of fellow FTers!) Is 3 hours enough time to grab my checkin luggage, go through customs, check in again, and then board the next flight? Especially for someone who has never been to Changi before?

Thanks so much for any advice.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I have no idea on what might be available (I'm particularly curious if you already have PreCheck externally...e.g. via Nexus/Global Entry).

One practical question: Depending on when you're traveling, if you're at a lousy time (e.g. peak hours, near a holiday, etc.) and/or are worried about making it to the airport in time (likely as a side-effect of the aforementioned) could you book a throwaway ticket on another airline (SY being the best candidate for T4) and use that ticket to clear security?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by jwgmaldives
I have researched this but I just want to be doubly sure, there is no TSA Precheck for Singapore Airlines correct?
Yes.

1. SQ is officially not on TSA's list for Precheck.

2. Per my interpretation, TSA only allows 2 groups of foreign airlines joining the Precheck - those who are subject to WHTI or the country of the foreign airlines has an active agreement for preclearance POEs.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:10 pm

3 hours. That's enough time to start and raise a family at Changi. You'll be fine, maybe even bored of the lounge in that long a period of time.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:28 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Yeah OP will be fine in Changi Airport, you can also walk across all 3 terminals in airside if you get bored, or take the Skytrain if you don't want to walk too much.

You could even do a quick visit to the city to snap a few photographs and walk around.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
You ' ll be just fine , OP ..

Since you are flying in Suites , you will enjoy the Virgin lounge , possibly best in JFK
Was in priority line for Suites in June , before boarding .

There are various lines for TSA checks , be sure you get in the correct one . Some were in a super long one when they were " entitled " to the shorter ones just by the long one .

Was in some short priority one here too .
There are various " stations " so if they , the TSA staff , suggest you move to another , best heed as they know where it will move faster .

Should be ample time in Changi to browse / shop , explore the various activities - win a game or 2 perhaps , see exhibitions , taste menus from different restaurants if not in SKL ..
Even go to town , think some SIA free tour ?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:24 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM
Is 3 hours enough time to grab my checkin luggage, go through customs, check in again, and then board the next flight?
1. Yes. Changi is one of the most efficient and seamless airports in the world. You could comfortably do it in less than half of the time.

2. Question, though: Why are you "grabbing your checking luggage, going through customs, check-in again?" Since you are on SQ for the entire journey, why would you not just check your bag through to your final destination and either obtain all boarding passes on departure, or get them at the airside transfer desk at SIN? There is no need to clear customs and immigration if you are just in transit in SIN, and your bags are checked through.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 1:23 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by crazycrab955
2. Question, though: Why are you "grabbing your checking luggage, going through customs, check-in again?" Since you are on SQ for the entire journey, why would you not just check your bag through to your final destination and either obtain all boarding passes on departure, or get them at the airside transfer desk at SIN? There is no need to clear customs and immigration if you are just in transit in SIN, and your bags are checked through.
Agreed. OP, you're these two flights are on the same ticket right?
Old Aug 12, 2016, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by superflush
Agreed. OP, you're these two flights are on the same ticket right?
I'm not! Should I call in and do something about it? I used points to book two trips separately.

First ticket: JFK --> FRA --> SIN
Second ticket: SIN --> MAL

I had no idea we could combine tickets! Yes that would save so much trouble.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 9:57 am

I'm not! Should I call in and do something about it? I used points to book two trips separately.

First ticket: JFK --> FRA --> SIN
Second ticket: SIN --> MAL

I had no idea we could combine tickets! Yes that would save so much trouble.
Just present both e-tickets at check-in, ground staff will interlink your check-in baggage to your final destination.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jjjohn
Just present both e-tickets at check-in, ground staff will interlink your check-in baggage to your final destination.
I called ahead to try to arrange this but they said it cannot work since it was two separate bookings....hopefully the ground staff will be better!
Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Two separate tickets cannot be combined, linked yes but that doesn't do much, but at check-in a good agent will check your baggage all the way to MLE even in Y but for a suites customer almost definitely. Checkout the lounges at SIN that you'll have access to.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I called ahead to try to arrange this but they said it cannot work since it was two separate bookings....hopefully the ground staff will be better!
It can't be arranged in advance.

The GA processing your baggage will be the one, and the only one, to do it.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Tickets cannot be combined. Period.

All you are looking to do is check your bags across two tickets. That is an entirely different matter and has nothing to do with and does not require combining tickets.

Just ask the agent at check in to check your bags through and have a printout of your second ticket (paper printout) handy.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..First ticket: JFK --> FRA --> SIN
Second ticket: SIN --> MAL..
As SQ interlines with SQ ... just ask upon checking in.

If they outright refuse, see a transfer desk in the hub of each terminal. Unlike in European airports, these are actually operational.

And in the worst, case, immigration in Changi, getting your bags, and re-checking them, should be easily doable in under 20 minutes. But I doubt that the transfer desk will refuse service to a premium pax.

In Biz, your check in cut off is 30 minutes, so this really should not be an issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.