Search

FURIOUS! Date change = more points!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2016, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

FURIOUS! Date change = more points!

Hi Everyone,

Thought you might all want to be aware.

I had an already ticketed award booking in Business Class from SYD-FCO which I booked months ago. Yesterday, I had to make a simple date change for a flight two days earlier.

Imagine my horror when I saw that an extra 12,750 points have been taken out of my account WITHOUT telling me!

Apparently, even though the booking was already ticketed, because I changed a date after the award fees went up, I have to pay the new award fee to change the date!

Not happy!

Last edited by maestro1981; Jul 14, 2016 at 12:40 am Reason: Mistyped route
Old Jul 13, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by maestro1981
Imagine my horror when I saw that an extra 12,750 points have been taken out of my account WITHOUT telling me!
Ouch that sucks. Have you called them back & requested them to make it right?
Old Jul 13, 2016, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shuigao
Ouch that sucks. Have you called them back & requested them to make it right?
Yep! Called 3 times now to speak to different people and all say along the lines of "they are the new rules".

I even told them no one made me aware of it before making the change and to revert the date back because I didn't authorise the fee deduction (and they can check the original phone recording) and they said now the original date is on waitlist. What joy!
Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:10 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Yep! Called 3 times now to speak to different people and all say along the lines of "they are the new rules".

I even told them no one made me aware of it before making the change and to revert the date back because I didn't authorise the fee deduction (and they can check the original phone recording) and they said now the original date is on waitlist. What joy!
That's pretty atrocious. I'd write to SQ and explain nicely but firmly what happened. Emphasise that nobody told you about the extra cost and ask for the points to be reinstated. Hope you have status so that you can twist some arms...
Old Jul 14, 2016, 12:19 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Surprises me! I had an AMS-SIN booked in I, original departure in 2017, which I pulled forward and flew in June this year without any additional miles being deducted. I just double-checked my mileage account to be sure, and indeed, all looks kosher to me.

Just another point: You said they'd taken off an additional 12,750 miles. However, under the old rules SIN-FCO would have cost you 51,000 miles to redeem in I; now, under the new rates, it is 68,000 miles (All including 15% online discount), so the difference should be 17,000 miles...

The only way your miles difference of 12,750 makes sense is if you had changed your itinerary from SIN-IST (38,250 miles) to SIN-FCO/AMS/CPH (51,000 miles).

No offence, but could it be that you had inadvertently simply looked at the wrong line in the redemption table when you made or changed your booking...?
Old Jul 14, 2016, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NetJets Germany
Surprises me! I had an AMS-SIN booked in I, original departure in 2017, which I pulled forward and flew in June this year without any additional miles being deducted. I just double-checked my mileage account to be sure, and indeed, all looks kosher to me.

Just another point: You said they'd taken off an additional 12,750 miles. However, under the old rules SIN-FCO would have cost you 51,000 miles to redeem in I; now, under the new rates, it is 68,000 miles (All including 15% online discount), so the difference should be 17,000 miles...

The only way your miles difference of 12,750 makes sense is if you had changed your itinerary from SIN-IST (38,250 miles) to SIN-FCO/AMS/CPH (51,000 miles).

No offence, but could it be that you had inadvertently simply looked at the wrong line in the redemption table when you made or changed your booking...?
Hi NetJets Germany,

Yes, surprised me also because I've made numerous date changes before and nothing like this. They said on the phone that it was a recent change hmmm.

Please also accept my apologies! I mistyped my original route (I'll change it now, thanks for pointing it out! :P Sorry!! My flight is actually from SYD-FCO (and an upgrade from Economy to Business). Apologies again. Thus the 12,750 miles
Old Jul 14, 2016, 5:20 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
SQ changed the amount of miles needed on July 4th, so very recently. The Award chart was published earlier in June.

See the new redemption chart here SQ and MI Redemption Chart

Unfortunately SQ doesn't just change the date of your ticket but any ticket change is a refund of the taxes and a re-credit of the miles and a fresh new booking. So if your original booking was made before the new redemption chart was valid, you paid the old rate and now have to pay the new rate.

If the change was done by SQ due to a cancellation or a re-timing, they would honor the original rate.

Last edited by JohnSIN; Jul 14, 2016 at 5:31 am
Old Jul 14, 2016, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I don't find the Asian carriers too accommodating in things like this but I hope they see the sense here that you have got caught up in this change. Good luck.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnSIN
Unfortunately SQ doesn't just change the date of your ticket but any ticket change is a refund of the taxes and a re-credit of the miles and a fresh new booking. So if your original booking was made before the new redemption chart was valid, you paid the old rate and now have to pay the new rate.
Hi JohnSIN! Thanks for your message! But I must say that sorry, that isn't true. I've made more than 100 date changes like this in the past and never has it been done like the way you suggest.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 11:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
Hi JohnSIN! Thanks for your message! But I must say that sorry, that isn't true. I've made more than 100 date changes like this in the past and never has it been done like the way you suggest.
I think you might be right and I stand corrected, my apologies Maestro. I tend to change both the dates and the destination at the same time, which means that the tickets are refunded and then debited for the new redemption. In the process, if you need the miles to be credited quickly, they can speed up the process and have it done almost immediately. Otherwise it takes a few days for the miles to be credited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.