Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ to launch non-stop A350 flights SIN-SFO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ to launch non-stop A350 flights SIN-SFO

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2016, 6:02 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
Since this was mentioned here, I'm flying on a 3-class version and seated at 11A but noticed that 2A in F is a bassinet location. I think it's obvious but just wanted to ask if I should switch to 11K? (I have this weird thing about liking A seats hahaha)
If you want to put so fine a point to it, then if 11K is available, yes. But babies are quite rare in F and -- touch wood -- never had any issues with 11A being within earshot of a crying one in 2A before. 11A and 11K are, as far as I know, identical in all other practical aspects.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:39 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Experience from UA's SFO-SIN non-stop in Economy

While below message is related to UA's SFO-SIN flight, I thought it would useful for this thread as well.

Short intro: in my way back from US, decided to take non-stop SFO-SIN United's flight. I fly about 50000-75000 miles per year for company related business - all in Economy, to US, Brazil and Europe. So air travel and knowing how to do certain things are not new to me.

Conclusion after the flight: avoid.

Unless you are flying in Business. Even UA's E+ won't help. This is my first and last time I had this flight. And if I had to take SQ's similar upcoming flight I would have the same advice - avoid unless you have Business or above.

I am having no problem with 12h flights in Y, have done SIN-HKG-SFO and SIN-NRT-SFO number of times, but I think 16-17h flight crosses (at least for me) psychological threshold for discomfort when flying in Economy.

Inconvenience factor starts aggrevate like avalanche after 13h in the flight. After 15h you start counting minutes to the end - when this hell is going to end. I found a temporary solution by taking my notebook and standing at the middle gallery for about an hour until was chased out by FA UAs.

Getting in/out if you are at window seat and your seatmates are sleeping adds to inconvenience. Plus if your seatmate is someone who can't completely fit into his/her seat and constantly invades into your space will turn the flight into complete hell. Child crying for 4 hours every 15 min, with 5 min breaks in between. To complete the picture - do not see sunlight for whole 24h.

Tried once, never again. Will go thru usual SIN-NRT-SFO on my all upcoming flights and fly them on ANA.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:37 pm

Thanks for the review invisible, ill be flying SQ SFO-SIN next couple months J class, will report back my experience LOL
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: Anything that still flies F
Just changed out of the direct SFO-SIN flight for SQ1, the times you leave and get into singapore aren't that conducive to connecting flights and jetlag.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by WestCoastFlyer88
Just changed out of the direct SFO-SIN flight for SQ1, the times you leave and get into singapore aren't that conducive to connecting flights and jetlag.
It depends on where you're going. Great connections to/from India.

Though I suspect connections to other points in SE Asia might not be as convenient.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Anyone know if there's something going on with inventory on SFO-SIN on the week of Dec. 12?

I'm looking for my wife, well, really, SFO-MAA, and was wondering why it was only showing up with the nighttime flight with HKG stop on the way to SIN. I changed to look just availabiity for SFO-SIN, and even then I can't find the nonstop in regular economy for days, at least between 12 - 20 of Dec. Some days, I can't even see the SFO-HKG-SIN flight - some days seem to be showing only flights via LAX (Virgin America)/ICN, other days, showing only flights through LHR (with SFO-LHR on Virgin Atlantic). I know its busy season, and those flights must be prone to selling out, but it seems odd that there would be several days of no availability in regular economy.

Are these flights just that popular? Inventory being held for other connections? Any thoughts?
Old Oct 17, 2016, 2:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Anyone know if there's something going on with inventory on SFO-SIN on the week of Dec. 12?

I'm looking for my wife, well, really, SFO-MAA, and was wondering why it was only showing up with the nighttime flight with HKG stop on the way to SIN. I changed to look just availabiity for SFO-SIN, and even then I can't find the nonstop in regular economy for days, at least between 12 - 20 of Dec. Some days, I can't even see the SFO-HKG-SIN flight - some days seem to be showing only flights via LAX (Virgin America)/ICN, other days, showing only flights through LHR (with SFO-LHR on Virgin Atlantic). I know its busy season, and those flights must be prone to selling out, but it seems odd that there would be several days of no availability in regular economy.

Are these flights just that popular? Inventory being held for other connections? Any thoughts?

Sold out by the looks of it...
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I just saw this review posted today. It was from the SQ SIn-SFO launch party.

"Singapore’s New San Francisco Non-Stop Flight Launches Today With the Airport’s First Airbus A350"

by Gary Leff on October 23, 2016

QUOTE:
"Singapore will be competing head-to-head with United on this route, since United launched non-stop service on the route with a Boeing 787-9. Singapore will certainly offer the more desirable inflight product."

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....t-airbus-a350/
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 24left
I just saw this review posted today. It was from the SQ SIn-SFO launch party.

"Singapore’s New San Francisco Non-Stop Flight Launches Today With the Airport’s First Airbus A350"

by Gary Leff on October 23, 2016

QUOTE:
"Singapore will be competing head-to-head with United on this route, since United launched non-stop service on the route with a Boeing 787-9. Singapore will certainly offer the more desirable inflight product."

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....t-airbus-a350/
Can't think of many who would fly United anymore...
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wolf72
Can't think of many who would fly United anymore...
Based on TPG's description and photos of the SQ J seat on the 350, and particularly the lack of a proper footwell, not sure that SQ's advantage will be quite so strong as many of us would have expected. It looks like a deeply flawed hard product. Do we know if the layout will be the same on the 350-ULR?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:24 am

No confirmation of that yet. I started hoping they'd realise their mistake the moment I checked the product out on a regional familiarisation flight. I'd really like to know their logic behind spoiling the 350 premium product like that. It's not just the footwell, the whole cabin feels cramped.

Realistically I don't see it happening. Particularly if they decide to offer first on that aircraft (unlikely, I know) which will potentially further restrict how much space they have to play with.

Plenty more feedback here.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:07 am

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
It looks like a deeply flawed hard product.
The hard product is fine on the much larger 777. However, they have shoehorned it into the A350's smaller/narrower fuselage, and the seats themselves have had to be narrowed and modified to fit. The entire experience is cramped and claustrophobic. For an airplane that has been so massively hyped, I found the whole thing quite disappointing.

This is the same thing that happened to the 2006 J seats when they were crammed into the A380 upper deck, which is noticeably smaller than the 777 cross-section. The difference is less obvious, but in fact the 2006 A380 J seats are also quite a bit smaller than the 2006 J in the 77W.

A350 "XWB."
Old Oct 30, 2016, 5:20 pm
Suspended

Looks like economy will be a very very uncomfortable affair for anyone who happens to be heavy set or taller than 6 foot trying to squeeze into economy seat rows.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA - Silver, Hertz-5 star
A340 on SFO-SIN route?

Hi-

I've been following this route almost daily on flightaware since I will be on it in Feb. and today an A340 was the listed aircraft. I thought SIA got ride of all the A340's around 2006 or so. Did the keep a few in storage or for charter or did they lease a few knowing they do not have enough A350's yet?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SIA31

-Paul
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:37 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Paul510
Hi-

I've been following this route almost daily on flightaware since I will be on it in Feb. and today an A340 was the listed aircraft. I thought SIA got ride of all the A340's around 2006 or so. Did the keep a few in storage or for charter or did they lease a few knowing they do not have enough A350's yet?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SIA31

-Paul
Flight Aware is wrong sometimes. It's an A350

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.