Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

how to redeem when SFO-HKG-SIN has F avail, but SIN-xxx onward has no F class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2016, 5:00 pm
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

Hi all -- seeking your advice on this question. If I am lucky enough to find J/F availability on the long haul legs to Singapore, but not to a final destination like SGN, REP, etc which is only 2 class, is there any clever way to redeem in economy on the last leg (as UA allows for example)? Or to waitlist just for that last leg while redeeming the first part?

Or am I stuck having to pay for a separate ticket for the last regional leg? (if I want to snag the J/F while it's available)

Thanks.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 5:13 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TA
Hi all -- seeking your advice on this question. If I am lucky enough to find J/F availability on the long haul legs to Singapore, but not to a final destination like SGN, REP, etc which is only 2 class, is there any clever way to redeem in economy on the last leg (as UA allows for example)? Or to waitlist just for that last leg while redeeming the first part?

Or am I stuck having to pay for a separate ticket for the last regional leg? (if I want to snag the J/F while it's available)

Thanks.
It's called a mixed class booking. (there are plenty of threads on this topic if you search)

You can ring the call centre and they can make the booking for you and still honour the 15% online discount.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 6:29 pm
TA
Original Poster

Ah, thank you very much!
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TA

Thanks.
i think you have to book seperate ticket by cAlling krisflyer hotline
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by willythomas561
i think you have to book seperate ticket by cAlling krisflyer hotline
Can do it under one booking with a mixed class redemption which may well end up cheaper than separate tickets.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:40 pm
TA
Original Poster

Thanks again -- by the way does this method also hold / is valid for outbound completely in J, return in Y?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:44 pm

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TA
Thanks again -- by the way does this method also hold / is valid for outbound completely in J, return in Y?
I don't know, but as redemption singles are half the price of a return it probably makes more sense to do that as separate bookings as the return in Y would be cheaper.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:00 pm
TA
Original Poster

Ah yes, but with a complete roundtrip itinerary you can have 1 stopover I understand.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 12:24 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by TA
Ah yes, but with a complete roundtrip itinerary you can have 1 stopover I understand.
You could also pay $100 for the stopover on a one-way. Up to you to decide whether the difference in points is worth that $100.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Please note that if you have award ticket originating from HKG, SQ can't/won't charge you YQ, while if you book tickets where HKG is a stopping point, you will get charged QY for all segments.

It makes more sense to have two separate bookings.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:48 am
TA
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible
Please note that if you have award ticket originating from HKG, SQ can't/won't charge you YQ, while if you book tickets where HKG is a stopping point, you will get charged QY for all segments.

It makes more sense to have two separate bookings.
Thanks - this point is interesting. Are you saying that if HKG is only a stopover, even >24 hours, the ticket will be charged YQ?

So the only way to take advantage of this would be to book two tickets:

SFO-HKG-SFO (one YQ for SFO-HKG, none for HKG-SFO?)

HKG-SIN-xxx-SIN-HKG (one YQ for SIN-HKG, none for HKG-SIN?)

But I still only avoid 1 YQ compared to SFO-HKG-SIN-xxx-SIN-HKG-SFO, isn't that correct? (where there is the same YQ for SFO-HKG, SIN-HKG)

It seems to be much more involved to book/manage this though. How much $ savings could it be?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:21 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by TA
Thanks - this point is interesting. Are you saying that if HKG is only a stopover, even >24 hours, the ticket will be charged YQ?
My comment was based on the discussion in the thread below. But seems there is no definitive answer on this matter.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...i-overpay.html
Old Jun 20, 2016, 2:43 am

Programs: AA EXP
I just tried one of these bookings in F/J (SFO-SIN-BKK) and the agent (after 30 minutes and much consultation) said there was a higher mileage charge than 91,375 and that the policy on that had changed on April 11. I am pretty sure this is an instance of hang up and call again but wanted to double check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.