Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Awards no longer charged based on highest class of service? (or just the agent?)

Awards no longer charged based on highest class of service? (or just the agent?)

Old May 20, 2016, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Trying to do an award booking from DVO-LHR.

DVO-SIN is on Silkair, so obviously no first class, planning to book on business class.

SIN-LHR on SQ first.

In the past I know the SQ's system will automatically default to charging each segment individually (so DVO-SIN Business mileages PLUS SIN-LHR first class mileage). But I've had success getting the agent to charge based on highest class flown (so DVO-LHR first class mileage).

I just spoke to an agent who told me this is not allowed. I gave her the booking reference of another booking I just ticketed in January, whereby it was allowed. I also quoted the terms and conditions of SQ's own award chart stating this is possible (the one including premium economy!) which I would presume has the most updated terms.

She told me the policy just changed a few days ago, and they would get the management to update the website.

Anyone has any idea if there really was a policy change, or just an uncooperative agent who did not want to check with others if this can be done?
Old May 25, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: KF & QFF
Doubt they have changed the policy. I have done a few mixed class bookings & they seem to always do it as two redemptions unless you explain it to them which can be quite a pain (going back & forth with supervisor). Only once I have had customer service book it as one F redemption without having to ask. I just suggest keep calling, I'm sure you're bound to come across someone in CS who know what they are doing.
Old May 25, 2016, 1:01 pm

I booked a mix class redemption a few weeks ago. LAX-SIN-MLE and they charged me the full F redemption for the trip as one single redemption. CSR seemed pretty competent though.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:53 pm

Programs: Airlines - Only in the pointy end on points, Hilton Diamond
I have found that as long as you say upfront that you are calling as want to book a mixed class redemption due to lack of F offered on one sector then they know what to do. You can also use this as an opportunity to confirm that you are eligible for the 15% discount as you cannot make this booking online.

I have had to do this a few times as there is no F offered out of PER.

You may however encounter an issue where they cannot book the J section as an F award due to lack of 'Quota' where the sectors will show individually but once one sector is confirmed by the agent the other sector changes to waitlist.
Old May 26, 2016, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! Just an update, called in for the second time (started a new booking for the same itinerary as the dates I wanted now show availability) and without me asking, the agent quoted the correct mileage that honored the 15% discount and charged the award based on highest class flown (rather than per sector).

Most efficient agent I've encountered for a long while. Whole process took 4 minutes!
Old May 26, 2016, 11:03 pm

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Sorry to ask a probably stupid question, but what is the advantage in charging the whole journey at the highest class?
Old May 26, 2016, 11:09 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by w4rd
Sorry to ask a probably stupid question, but what is the advantage in charging the whole journey at the highest class?
An award in F with two segments can often price cheaper than two awards (one in F and another in J), especially when the second segment ends in a destination in the same zone as that of the first.
Old May 27, 2016, 12:38 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cowie
An award in F with two segments can often price cheaper than two awards (one in F and another in J), especially when the second segment ends in a destination in the same zone as that of the first.
Got it, thanks. I didn't realise a mixed class journey would be booked as two awards. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.