New iOS App messed up.

Old May 9, 2016, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
New iOS App messed up.

Warning, it appears that the latest version of iOS App (20.3 released today) is not compatible with many older iPhones, e.g. my 5c. However, the App is still appearing in updates, but then it says, not compatible... Seems like SQ has joined Apple in making it hard using any device older than 2-3 years...
Old May 9, 2016, 4:26 pm

Same here
Old May 10, 2016, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by Paulrh
Same here
Welcome to FT, Paul!

Quite some concise first post
Old May 10, 2016, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by ExSin
Welcome to FT, Paul!

Quite some concise first post
And you think this was polite welcome?

Some of us would just type +1. Or did you expect him to elaborate?
Old May 10, 2016, 5:29 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by vbroucek
Seems like SQ has joined Apple in making it hard using any device older than 2-3 years...
Apart from a "Let's bash Apple" motive, the OP is clearly ignorant of how software and hardware evolve over time. It is generally not possible, for example, to run Microsoft's Office 2016 program on a personal computer only capable of running Windows XP. There is nothing evil, no "gotcha" here. It's the way software always evolves, and at some point maintaining backwards hardware compatibility becomes too great an overhead and earlier hardware configurations are no longer supported for later versions of Apps/software

Since software and hardware is evolving rapidly we can expect backwards compatability to have equally short support timelines
Old May 10, 2016, 7:43 am
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by RTWFF
Apart from a "Let's bash Apple" motive, the OP is clearly ignorant of how software and hardware evolve over time. It is generally not possible, for example, to run Microsoft's Office 2016 program on a personal computer only capable of running Windows XP. There is nothing evil, no "gotcha" here. It's the way software always evolves, and at some point maintaining backwards hardware compatibility becomes too great an overhead and earlier hardware configurations are no longer supported for later versions of Apps/software

Since software and hardware is evolving rapidly we can expect backwards compatability to have equally short support timelines
Being ignorant for me is the one who accepts this by justifying it with apparent software upgrade.

Nothing justifies the fact that a phone worth more than USD 500 has to be thrown away after 3-4 years. We live in a world of limited ressources and this type of brainless attitude is not acceptable.
Old May 10, 2016, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

The OP has been working in computer industry since 1985, has PhD in computer security and regularly works for law enforcement in the field. Obviously he is well aware of more "gotchas" than you are.

If you want a lesson in SW/HW life cycle, ask me, or have a look at Ubuntu LTS releases, have a look how long is life cycle of Windows 7. I can and do run W10 on computer that is 5+ years old (admittedly, it was bought over specified at the time of original purchase) and W10 is running on it better than W7 did. So why do you need new Apple device for nearly every major release? As for the Apple bashing, have a look at life cycle of iPads and iPhones.

So for a iPhone App, not to be compatible with a device only little over 2 years old is ridiculous. Particularly considering that the new version of the App does not introduce any functionality that would not work on 5c.
Old May 10, 2016, 8:25 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
I'v noticed that the latest app (20.2) does not allow me to save a change of seat selection. I can choose the seats on the seat map, I just have no option to save the seats. Weird.

Name:  IMG_1770.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  31.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1771.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  24.8 KB

As you can see, there's no "Save" option..

There used to be blue "Save" and "Revert" buttons but they are now gone.
Old May 10, 2016, 9:29 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Does mobile website still work Ok for you? Where there are app fails, often mobile website is OK.
Old May 10, 2016, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Does mobile website still work Ok for you? Where there are app fails, often mobile website is OK.
Slightly OT, but now the mobile site has gone crazy after the new App disabled the +/- 3 days search. It shows everything and anything as available!
Old May 10, 2016, 10:19 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
You used to be able to get to the mobile website on a PC (i.e non-mobile device) but now it redirects to the standard site. Pity, the mobile site was better for some functions.
Old May 10, 2016, 11:18 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Guvner067
You used to be able to get to the mobile website on a PC (i.e non-mobile device) but now it redirects to the standard site. Pity, the mobile site was better for some functions.
Conversely you used to be able to get to the full website on a mobile device and with the use of zoom when needed, is better for some other functions. Now I can't get full website up on the iphone at all, only the mobile site.
Old May 11, 2016, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss
Being ignorant for me is the one who accepts this by justifying it with apparent software upgrade.

Nothing justifies the fact that a phone worth more than USD 500 has to be thrown away after 3-4 years. We live in a world of limited ressources and this type of brainless attitude is not acceptable.
Obsolescence is built into every type of consumer product. Get over it
Old May 11, 2016, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek
The OP has been working in computer industry since 1985, has PhD in computer security and regularly works for law enforcement in the field.
In Tasmania??
Old May 11, 2016, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

In Tasmania??
Living in Tasmania, working all over the world... That's the beauty of technology...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.