Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore Premium Economy - anyone used it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Premium Economy - anyone used it?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by weero
It fixes half of it ... the filtration part.

But much more importantly, it reduces the walks of shame of the other pax to the galleys, leaving oodles of soft drinks for myself.
I think you put too much faith in an unobserved bottling process.

Point taken on the second one though, I suppose...
Old Jun 11, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by chisquared
I think you put too much faith in an unobserved bottling process. ...
I am not a man of faith. I have access to a very large and fancily equipped chemical lab.

Occasional hunting for traces and impurities taught me that most of those horror stories brought up by NGOs are just that.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by weero
I am not a man of faith. I have access to a very large and fancily equipped chemical lab.
Ha, and I take it you've compared water in the bottles provided by SQ, versus those you'd get from a water fountain at SIN?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 5:46 am
THR
Original Poster

Originally Posted by truncated
so was pricing out flights near christmas on sq25/26 and it looks like pey is cheaper than the cheapest y fare (both options are with the same return flight in y on sq26 in january):

Attachment 14131
Attachment 14132

so is pey doing that badly out of jfk or is sq y just that popular lol...

Very very tempted to book (pey for the roundtrip is $1598) but some other masochistic part of me wants to fly lga-iah-dme-sin in y for about the same price. Hmm.
A minor note but $1,598 > $1,545?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by THR
A minor note but $1,598 > $1,545?
Y flex saver on JFK-FRA-SIN doesn't price out at $1,545 but at $1,754 (see the top right corner; the return leg in both cases were the same SIN-JFK in Y). In this case the "from $1,545" actually refers to PY JFK-FRA-SIN and flex saver SIN-FRA-JFK, if you want to downgrade yourself to Y on the outbound SQ lets you pay $210 for that privilege. Pretty funny stuff.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by chisquared
Ha, and I take it you've compared water in the bottles provided by SQ, versus those you'd get from a water fountain at SIN?
Just the bottles ... I don't have a chance to bring back the fountain water, grace to the War on Moisture.

Hence I call it "unknown filtration" .... it is likely quite save .
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:41 am

Has anyone tried it SIN-AMS?

The pricing is still substantially less than J on any ME3. At least on the dates that I am looking at.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 12:12 am
THR
Original Poster

PE review (of sorts)

So, we have returned from our recent trip to the Maldives, having flown SQ PE from SYD-SIN and return, and economy from SIN-MLE return.

SYD-SIN was A380 and SIN-SYD 773.

A few photos here:

http://imgur.com/a/c2LJ5

Observations:
  • Appreciated the additional space
  • IFE screen was good - and very responsive on both the A380 and 777
  • As has been mentioned by other posters, the gap between the window seat and the cabin is wide on the A380, so you cannot rest against it. No such issue with the 777
  • We did not find the seat particularly comfortable for long distance; it doesn't seem to be well shaped/contoured to the body (such that the 773 economy seat was actually more comfortable)
  • The IFE was better on the 777 due to touch screen
  • The service was excellent and attentive on both flights. The crew offered refreshments throughout and were quick to remove our items
  • Lack of a dedicated toilet wasn't ideal but wasn't a major issue
  • Food was definitely economy style (as per images); we used book the cook and the SYD-SIN flight was much better (albeit, the overnight flight from SIN-SYD, SQ231, was just a refreshment and breakfast)
  • We had priority boarding in Sydney but not in Singapore
  • Our bags were tagged as priority and came out quickly at both ends

As a relatively new SQ customer, we really enjoyed the experience. On the SIN-MLE and return flights we had window and aisle economy seats, with a seat in between - so it was pretty comfortable. But on the SYD-SIN and return flights, both were full. So PE gave us some additional space and comfort.

As others have mentioned, more like an "economy plus", but we but we did enjoy it. Obviously any future use would come down to price differential as we thought the SQ Y product looked pretty decent anyway.

Last edited by THR; Jul 6, 2016 at 12:29 am
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:57 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Does anyone know what PEY fare classes are upgradeable to business class?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by THR
So, we have returned from our recent trip to the Maldives, having flown SQ PE from SYD-SIN and return, and economy from SIN-MLE return.

SYD-SIN was A380 and SIN-SYD 773.

A few photos here:

http://imgur.com/a/c2LJ5

Observations:
  • Appreciated the additional space
  • IFE screen was good - and very responsive on both the A380 and 777
  • As has been mentioned by other posters, the gap between the window seat and the cabin is wide on the A380, so you cannot rest against it. No such issue with the 777
  • We did not find the seat particularly comfortable for long distance; it doesn't seem to be well shaped/contoured to the body (such that the 773 economy seat was actually more comfortable)
  • The IFE was better on the 777 due to touch screen
  • The service was excellent and attentive on both flights. The crew offered refreshments throughout and were quick to remove our items
  • Lack of a dedicated toilet wasn't ideal but wasn't a major issue
  • Food was definitely economy style (as per images); we used book the cook and the SYD-SIN flight was much better (albeit, the overnight flight from SIN-SYD, SQ231, was just a refreshment and breakfast)
  • We had priority boarding in Sydney but not in Singapore
  • Our bags were tagged as priority and came out quickly at both ends

As a relatively new SQ customer, we really enjoyed the experience. On the SIN-MLE and return flights we had window and aisle economy seats, with a seat in between - so it was pretty comfortable. But on the SYD-SIN and return flights, both were full. So PE gave us some additional space and comfort.

As others have mentioned, more like an "economy plus", but we but we did enjoy it. Obviously any future use would come down to price differential as we thought the SQ Y product looked pretty decent anyway.
How much of a value increase would you say PE was vs Economy? I have a 6 night trip to Japan coming in December but the difference in fare is $750 per seat--$250 coming from a fare change fee
Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:48 am
THR
Original Poster

Originally Posted by op487062
How much of a value increase would you say PE was vs Economy? I have a 6 night trip to Japan coming in December but the difference in fare is $750 per seat--$250 coming from a fare change fee
Where are you coming from? What is the flight duration?
Old Oct 1, 2016, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by THR
Where are you coming from? What is the flight duration?
LAX-NRT
Old Oct 1, 2016, 7:11 pm
THR
Original Poster

Right, that's a reasonable flying time. I was SYD-SIN, so much shorter. I'd personally be prepared to pay extra for that distance.

But then again, Singapore Y is pretty good anyway.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:23 am

Programs: Krisflyer
I am a real SIA fan and travel with them for almost all trips (even if t's not the most direct route). So when I was upgraded to premium economy for MEL - SIN in August I was quite excited. Sadly it was rather disappointing. There was no champagne offered and the menu was identical to regular economy (i.e. same drinks listed as available, hence why I didn't ask about champagne). In contrast to some travel reports I've seen we were given economy headphones, not business class type, and the snack with the drink was peanuts (not almonds & cashews like in J). So the only benefit was the larger seating area. The leg rest that comes with the chair was not much use either, it didn't raise high enough to support my calves without putting the cushion as extra support. The space was a definite improvement over economy, and this part of the cabin was still only 2/3 full so it was quieter and more private. Overall I doubt I would pay or even use points to upgrade to this service unless the points were about to expire...
Old Oct 2, 2016, 3:03 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by onlySIA
I am a real SIA fan and travel with them for almost all trips (even if t's not the most direct route). So when I was upgraded to premium economy for MEL - SIN in August I was quite excited. Sadly it was rather disappointing. There was no champagne offered and the menu was identical to regular economy (i.e. same drinks listed as available, hence why I didn't ask about champagne). In contrast to some travel reports I've seen we were given economy headphones, not business class type, and the snack with the drink was peanuts (not almonds & cashews like in J). So the only benefit was the larger seating area. The leg rest that comes with the chair was not much use either, it didn't raise high enough to support my calves without putting the cushion as extra support. The space was a definite improvement over economy, and this part of the cabin was still only 2/3 full so it was quieter and more private. Overall I doubt I would pay or even use points to upgrade to this service unless the points were about to expire...
Was SQ offering PEY for sale on this flight? If not, then it is simply treating the PEY cabin as a regular Y cabin, hence the same drinks, food etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.