Wiki Posts
Search

Married Segment and Stop Over

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: KF
Married Segment and Stop Over

I was booked and confirmed on MNL-SIN-GRU round trip award flight in few months from now. Want to change the to the later flight (for shorter connection in SIN but was told that even it shows available (when looking as single sector MNL-SIN), for my iterinary its not available but on waitlist due to married segment concept since the connecting SIN-GRU is on waitlist as well even though Im confirmed on that flight?

I plan to do a stopover in SIN (which is basically free since Im on roundtrip saver award), so , If I take the MNL-SIN two days before, will the married segment still applicable? Will the computer still says that the connecting segment though leaves 2 days later is still on waitlist (though in my case, I'm confirmed on connecting SIN-GRU leg?

So a married segment ticket from X to Z with a stopover in Y, to change a date on X to Y, will the computer looks for availability of X to Z or just the X to Y?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Not surprisingly, SQ will require the use of married segments. I had a supervisor look at segments separately but he was only willing to do this because I used an F award HKG-SIN-SYD but wanted to do a voluntary downgrade to C on the first segment. All regular agents said no -- rules are rules -- no splitting of married segments. However, in your case, because you are making a stopover (ie, 24+ hours), married segments don't apply. Married segments apply to "connections (ie, <24 hours).
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Not surprisingly, SQ will require the use of married segments. I had a supervisor look at segments separately but he was only willing to do this because I used an F award HKG-SIN-SYD but wanted to do a voluntary downgrade to C on the first segment. All regular agents said no -- rules are rules -- no splitting of married segments. However, in your case, because you are making a stopover (ie, 24+ hours), married segments don't apply. Married segments apply to "connections (ie, <24 hours).
Got it.. so married segments apply only to an immediate connection less than 24h..

Thank you very much.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by wanderer9020
Got it.. so married segments apply only to an immediate connection less than 24h..

Thank you very much.
Not true. SQ uses married segments sometimes up to 4 days of a connecting flight.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Not true. SQ uses married segments sometimes up to 4 days of a connecting flight.
oh yeah?

well, the best way to confirm this is for me to call them. Ok, the SQ agent pick up my call right away, I confirmed that married segment with stopover , the computer will look availability as sector by sector. I tell him to force me a one day stopover in SIN and he said all MNL-SIN flight on that day are available for my existing iterinary . Married segment IS NOT APPLICABLE.

Last edited by wanderer9020; Feb 6, 2016 at 1:35 am
Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by wanderer9020
oh yeah?

well, the best way to confirm this is for me to call them. Ok, the SQ agent pick up my call right away, I confirmed that married segment with stopover , the computer will look availability as sector by sector. I tell him to force me a one day stopover in SIN and he said all MNL-SIN flight on that day are available for my existing iterinary . Married segment IS NOT APPLICABLE.
That's what I said... 'sometimes' !

On some flights, previously, I had booked HKG-SIN, connecting to LHR.. HKG-SIN showing available with immediate connection to LHR. But once a stopover is made, HKG-SIN for same date showing zero availability. SIN-LHR flight needed to be over 4 days before HKG-SIN would show as available.

Sometimes I wonder how logical SQ's married segments inventory works!
Old Feb 6, 2016, 7:54 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Married segment logic only applies for connections less than 24 hours.

For anything more than 24 hours it is called "journey data".

http://www.amadeus.com/airlines/docu...es%20Sheet.pdf

With Journey Data, it also takes into the account of segments on another airline that is also present on the PNR that is currently open on the travel agen'ts work space..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.