Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Rumoured (now confirmed) launch to CBR & WLG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumoured (now confirmed) launch to CBR & WLG

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:00 pm

Programs: Virgin Australia, United, Delta, Qantas, Air Canada
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
Not sure if either will last, especially WLG, but I applaud SQ's efforts in going into these two markets where there are currently no mid/long-haul non-stop/direct flights to SE Asia. The other thing in SQ's favour is that WLG is basically technically impossible for the ME3 and CBR is just foolish to fly from DOH/DXB/AUH. There's usually something good about being the first in a market.
I'm kind of optimistic about the CBR-SIN portion. Lots of people in CBR are already travelling to Asia and Europe and this flight seems way more preferable to making the connection in Sydney where you have to catch a bus between the domestic and international terminal, then clear immigration and then re-clear security. At a minimum, it knocks around 2 hours and 45 minutes if you're flying or 3 hours+ if you take the bus to Sydney off of a trip each way, that is already going to be ridiculously long.

Two other things to consider...
1.) Canberra has a potentially extremely large drawing area for their airport. I'm guessing that for a lot of families, it is going to be a lot cheaper to drive to Canberra and catch the flight rather than driving to Melbourne or Sydney.
2.) The route should be helped by lots of government travelers that need to travel to or from Canberra (e.g. Federal + ACT workers based in Canberra) or Wellington. It also helps that there are 2 major universities in Canberra that produce a lot of travelers plus some smaller universities/colleges in the region.

I'm curious on what the Wellington to Canberra segment needs to survive. Presumably most of the passengers to/from Wellington will be travelers going to/from Europe/Asia and looking to dodge the mess that is the terminal change and need to clear immigration and biosecurity in Auckland. I'd note that Christchurch is smaller than Wellington and is able to support flights from China, several Australian cities, Singapore, and analogous flights to this one on Emirates (CHC-SYD-BKK-DUB) and China Airlines (CHC-MEL-Taipei). It could be a good tourist route, basically drive from Sydney or Melbourne to the other place and then on to Canberra and then fly over to New Zealand. The other thing to note is that it is an 8 hour drive from Auckland to Wellington which will make it a pretty decent option for the people living on the southern half of the North Island.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:59 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Official press release from Singapore Airlines:

Capital Express' Service To Connect Singapore, Canberra And Wellington

http://www.singaporeair.com/jsp/cms/...316-160120.jsp
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by BTR_CDN
I'm kind of optimistic about the CBR-SIN portion. Lots of people in CBR are already travelling to Asia and Europe a
Flight isn't really that convenient for most of Europe, due to timings. It seems to be more about taking traffic from CBR/WLG - Asia (or those travelling to Europe with stopovers in SIN). The only flight connection that vaguely works is LHR ... it will be a 3hr connection outbound (CBR-LHR) and 5 hr connection inbound (LHR-CBR)
Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Flight isn't really that convenient for most of Europe, due to timings. It seems to be more about taking traffic from CBR/WLG - Asia (or those travelling to Europe with stopovers in SIN). The only flight connection that vaguely works is LHR ... it will be a 3hr connection outbound (CBR-LHR) and 5 hr connection inbound (LHR-CBR)
Exactly so. Multiple frequencies ex-SIN like LHR are an easy get, but for the most part SQ sees this route as providing pax with an end-stop in SIN or feeding onwards to Asia.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:17 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by BTR_CDN
I'm curious on what the Wellington to Canberra segment needs to survive. Presumably most of the passengers to/from Wellington will be travelers going to/from Europe/Asia and looking to dodge the mess that is the terminal change and need to clear immigration and biosecurity in Auckland. I'd note that Christchurch is smaller than Wellington and is able to support flights from China, several Australian cities, Singapore, and analogous flights to this one on Emirates (CHC-SYD-BKK-DUB) and China Airlines (CHC-MEL-Taipei). It could be a good tourist route, basically drive from Sydney or Melbourne to the other place and then on to Canberra and then fly over to New Zealand. The other thing to note is that it is an 8 hour drive from Auckland to Wellington which will make it a pretty decent option for the people living on the southern half of the North Island.
Christchurch is the gateway to South Island so gets loads of tourists. Wellington is almost the end of the line so won't get tourist traffic to anything like the same level.

I don't know anyone who would drive between Auckland and Wellington to catch international flights. Nearly everyone flies via Auckland, and some fly via Christchurch.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:36 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Email Received: Wellington to the World

Dear WLG Base,

NEW SERVICE FROM NEW ZEALAND

Singapore Airlines connects Wellington to the world with 4 flights per week to Singapore, via Canberra. The commencement of the new service from New Zealand and Australia's capital cities to Singapore and beyond, marks a historical milestone. Flights will commence from Wellington on 21 September 2016, operated by Singapore Airlines' Boeing 777-200 aircraft fitted with 38 Business Class and 228 Economy Class seats.

The new service will provide New Zealanders with a convenient direct link from Wellington to Canberra, and beyond to Singapore. Passengers will benefit from seamless connections through Singapore to the Airline's vast global network, spanning 6 continents including Europe, Asia, and Africa.

Fares will be available from 25 January 2016, so stay tuned for exclusive deals that will take you from Wellington to rest of the world.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Christchurch is the gateway to South Island so gets loads of tourists. Wellington is almost the end of the line so won't get tourist traffic to anything like the same level.
I totally get Christchurch being the gateway to the South Island. On the other hand, maybe this flight to Wellington grabs some of the people who want to visit the North Island and don't particularly have a great need to see Auckland.

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I don't know anyone who would drive between Auckland and Wellington to catch international flights. Nearly everyone flies via Auckland, and some fly via Christchurch.
Sorry, I may not have been clear. I don't think that people would drive between Auckland and Wellington to catch international flights. On the other hand, if you live halfway between those two cities (or closer), I suspect that there are going to be quite a few people <by NZ standards> who are going to drive to one airport or the other to catch an international flight rather than pay a few hundred dollars extra per person for that short extra hop. The new flight from Wellington will be a really tempting option for families within about a 4 hour drive of Wellington....
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:13 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by kamchatsky
SQ291 SIN-CBR 23:00-08:35+1
SQ291 CBR-WLG 09:50-15:05
SQ292 WLG-CBR 20:15-22:05
SQ292 CBR-SIN 23:30-05:50+1
Just asking this more as a VA flyer, rather than an SQ flyer.

The 23:00 departure from SIN seems pretty good to me, but the 05:50 arrival into SIN could be a problem.

Again, as someone who is not a major SQ passenger, but a VA passenger (and therefore uses SQ as a partner) what are the options for this flight, both into SIN to connect with 291, or to connect out with 292?

291 departing at 23:00 sort of seems ok, but 292 arriving at 05:50 could be problematic.

LHR has been mentioned as the only viable connection to Europe from 292, given the time of day though there would be plenty of connections to north Asia though, so not worried about them.

How long for ME, rest of Europe and Africa?

Also, what about connections onto 291? Anything from anywhere providing viable connections?

I actually think this flight will work quite well, particularly the SIN-CBR part, as it allows passengers the ability to avoid the DOM-INT transfer process in SYD, which is not (by an order of magnitude) the best transfer process in the world.

Dave
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:25 am

All Europe, Middle East (DXB, IST) and JNB-CPT flights depart SIN between 10pm-2am. Likewise for inbound it is in the early morning around 5-8am...

SIN-FRA has a 2pm flight, which is an 8 hour connection. Inbound from FRA is 6 hours.

Last edited by kevinoh; Jan 20, 2016 at 10:27 am Reason: Minor correction to timing
Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by thadocta
How long for ME, rest of Europe and Africa?
No other connections to these parts of the world (in fact SQ shortly will only have single destination in the ME anyway - DXB - when Jeddah is handed over to Scoot).

I guess they want to build this service around Asian destinations, that way they don't risk the rug being pulled from under them when EK or QR decides to launch a service to CBR
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:06 pm

Connections would be more suited for NA, SEA and WAA destinations. And SQ 308 to LHR but flights from LHR (SQ 321) will have a close to 5 hr transit in SIN when going onward to CBR.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh
No other connections to these parts of the world (in fact SQ shortly will only have single destination in the ME anyway - DXB - when Jeddah is handed over to Scoot).

I guess they want to build this service around Asian destinations, that way they don't risk the rug being pulled from under them when EK or QR decides to launch a service to CBR
Interestingly, can the ME3 fly direct to their hubs from CBR? It's 14hrs westbound to the Middle East compared to 8 hours to SIN. A one-stop service in SEA will make the ME3 option less appealing for travelers to Europe via their hub.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by kevinoh
Interestingly, can the ME3 fly direct to their hubs from CBR? It's 14hrs westbound to the Middle East compared to 8 hours to SIN. A one-stop service in SEA will make the ME3 option less appealing for travelers to Europe via their hub.
It would seem plausible, assuming the runway is long enough. CBR is used as a back-up airport for SYD when SYD is closed for whatever reasons. I know that we've had 747 and 777 here. Just not sure if they can take off with a full fuel load. Also, Emirates and Etihad already go to Sydney,
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:39 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
I am actually looking forward to the 5th freedom flight from CRB-WLG!
Old Jan 23, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
I remember when some initial talks about this were reported in the Aussie press a couple of years ago.

I am surprised to see a 772. Armchair Expert Me would have guessed an A330.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.