Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ's "low service" First class offering.. now standard on overnight flights

Old Feb 28, 2016, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: epigram
Flights confirmed by FTers as "low service" (catering officially known as "sleeper service"):

In F:
  • SQ218 MEL-SIN (dep 01.05 Oct-Mar, 00:05 Apr-Sep)
  • SQ231 SIN-SYD (dep 00:45)
  • SQ237 SIN-MEL (dep 23.45)
  • SQ636 SIN-HND (dep 22:35) - refer post #151 for March 2019 menu
  • SQ638 SIN-NRT (dep 23:55)
  • SQ008 SIN-ICN (dep 02:45)
  • SQ800 SIN-PEK (dep 01:10)

In J:
All of above +
  • SQ255 SIN-BNE (dep 00:45)
  • SQ246 BNE-SIN (dep 23:55)
  • SQ608 SIN-ICN (dep 00:10)
  • SQ618 SIN-KIX (dep 01:30)
  • SQ656 SIN-FUK (dep 01:20)
  • SQ672 SIN-NGO (dep 01:20)
Print Wikipost

SQ's "low service" First class offering.. now standard on overnight flights

Old Feb 2, 2016, 4:15 pm
hgp
Ambassador: Thai Airways
Original Poster

Programs: EK*P, TG*P, SQ*PPS
Originally Posted by lokijuh
I don't know what they offer usually in F, but really is having breakfast just for the sake of "the experience" that important, when you can probably get better breakfast in a Melbourne cafe for $20 or less?
Fair point, but it's also the evening meal service which is severely limited - bread roll, main course, small selection of fruits. No caviar, entree, dessert etc.

$20 in a Melb cafe will get your a great breakfast, however!!
Old Feb 3, 2016, 5:22 pm

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
Originally Posted by SQ325
To me its a decent lounge. One of the better lounges in India. The quality of food is okay to me, nothing to talk about, but not bad either.

If I would try to get in early? No, surely not, a lounge to me is a waiting room no matter how posh it is. I would possibly try to take diner either in one of the hotels near the airport or in the city (but note that the traffic out of the city in the evening can sometimes be a bit painful).
The food in DEL SKL is ok.

But the space itself : Low ceiling, narrow, and usually too many people.
I hate it there. I usually just grab a beer and eat (I don't eat onboard on these overnights) and then I am much better off in the common area in the transit hall.

The Lufthansa lounge next door is much better btw. Nobody there because LH only departs at 2 or 3am. The place is mor modern, more spacious, and with very high ceiling. Sometimes I am here too. More peaceful.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by SQueeze
The Lufthansa lounge next door is much better btw. Nobody there because LH only departs at 2 or 3am. The place is mor modern, more spacious, and with very high ceiling. Sometimes I am here too. More peaceful.
In the evening the LH lounge is usually opening to cater for the LH flight which departs much later than SQ. I found it usually closed. Have the adjusted the opening hours?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
We are flying late night from Delhi to SIN in first. No idea what to expect either onboard, or in the lounge. Would gladly (sort of) get something to eat earlier is nothing in lounge. Have tried searching but not found any reviews of SIN lounge in Delhi.
I took this flight business class last year. Flight took off before midnight, landed SG about 7:30am.

They served a full meal around an hour after take off. I did notice many people asked not to be woken up and ended up getting shut eye the whole flight. No breakfast was served. Just drinks after the meal.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:41 am

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
Originally Posted by SQ325
In the evening the LH lounge is usually opening to cater for the LH flight which departs much later than SQ. I found it usually closed. Have the adjusted the opening hours?
Hmm. Not so sure.
I was there last in March 2015.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 10:44 pm

I think they read this thread. Just got off SQ 2 an overnight flight from HKG to SFO. Had caviar with foie gras for supper meal. Not a full caviar service but caviar portion is big enough and the dish was very tasty, loved the foie gras.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 5:54 pm
hgp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fzhfzh
I think they read this thread. Just got off SQ 2 an overnight flight from HKG to SFO. Had caviar with foie gras for supper meal. Not a full caviar service but caviar portion is big enough and the dish was very tasty, loved the foie gras.
I think the supper service on applies on shorter overnight flights with a very late departure time. On SIN/MEL, the 9.30pm flight has the full service while the 11.30pm departure is supper service only, I believe.

For my 10pm LHR/SIN flight last week, the full meal service was offered (and it was truly excellent).

HKG/SFO probably counts as one of the longer flights with the full service.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 4:44 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fzhfzh
On SQ285 SIN-AKL in January the Appetiser was Malossol Caviar and Lobster on fennel and mesclun salad.
Attached Images  
Old Feb 23, 2016, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by hgp
For my 10pm LHR/SIN flight last week, the full meal service was offered (and it was truly excellent).
That isn't an apples to apples comparison, though. SQ don't scrimp on their LHR flights. If that ever starts to happen then it's a real cause for concern.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 4:10 pm

Jan 11th SQ26 from SIN-FRA had the following caviar and foie gras appetizer:

post a picture

Wasn't my cup of tea to be honest. The main course on this segment was also pretty awful too.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 5:42 pm
hgp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phaze
That isn't an apples to apples comparison, though. SQ don't scrimp on their LHR flights. If that ever starts to happen then it's a real cause for concern.
True! I think on the longer long haul flights (eg. LHR-SIN, HKG-LAX) the full service applies regardless of departure time. On the shorter long-hauls (eg. SIN-MEL), the supper service may apply for very late evening departures.

Here is my caviar serving LHR-SIN last week, and the SQ227 SIN-MEL serving was near identical.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 6:32 am

Why is it so difficult to elicit from the SQ call center:
- whether a particular flight route and time serves full meal vs condensed meal?
- a copy of the menu to be sent via email?
- to reveal what is the departure time of any given flight that automatically substitutes supper for dinner?

I've now made two calls today to inquire about the F meal on a flight I'm about to take.

The first time I got through to a totally incompetent agent in the India call centre. When asked whether my route serves full dinner or simplified supper, he said yes supper is served (but not in the definitive sense, more from the sense that some people call the meal dinner while others may call supper).

When asked to obtain a copy of the F menu, he said it couldn't be emailed.

So I said please get a copy of the menu and just read it out to me over the phone.

He put me on hold for a while, then proceeded to read out to me the entire BTC menu off the website!

I lost patience and hung up.

Next I called again and pressed 2 to be routed to a Mandarin speaking agent in Singapore. Same thing. The agent couldn't for her life understand the difference between a full service dinner vs condensed supper meal!

I give up...
Old Feb 27, 2016, 6:09 pm
hgp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Why is it so difficult to elicit from the SQ call centre: ...
If you think SQ call centres are bad, try TG! I only ever call my local TG office (excellent service) as I just got so sick of getting unreliable/confused/unhelpful/vague/nothing answers from their Bangkok based operators.

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
The agent couldn't for her life understand the difference between a full service dinner vs condensed supper meal!
I suspect the supper v full dinner service isn't something SQ has communicated to their call centres. There's also nothing on the website - it only talks about the full F dining service.

Given SQ is renowned for their inflight service and catering, I think this is something that needs a bit more clarity so passengers aren't disappointed or confused by the service offering they receive.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Maybe the best approach would be to post the route and flight number here? Somebody may have travelled on that flight in J or F and share their experience. Probably offer more frank advice than you could ever get from the call centre...
Old Feb 27, 2016, 10:44 pm
hgp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Maybe the best approach would be to post the route and flight number here?
Great idea. Should I edit the original post with these details?

Supper service provided on:
  • SQ218 MEL/SIN
  • SQ237 SIN/MEL

Others?
[Updated 28 Feb 2016]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.