Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ's "low service" First class offering.. now standard on overnight flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2016, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: epigram
Flights confirmed by FTers as "low service" (catering officially known as "sleeper service"):

In F:
  • SQ218 MEL-SIN (dep 01.05 Oct-Mar, 00:05 Apr-Sep)
  • SQ231 SIN-SYD (dep 00:45)
  • SQ237 SIN-MEL (dep 23.45)
  • SQ636 SIN-HND (dep 22:35) - refer post #151 for March 2019 menu
  • SQ638 SIN-NRT (dep 23:55)
  • SQ008 SIN-ICN (dep 02:45)
  • SQ800 SIN-PEK (dep 01:10)

In J:
All of above +
  • SQ255 SIN-BNE (dep 00:45)
  • SQ246 BNE-SIN (dep 23:55)
  • SQ608 SIN-ICN (dep 00:10)
  • SQ618 SIN-KIX (dep 01:30)
  • SQ656 SIN-FUK (dep 01:20)
  • SQ672 SIN-NGO (dep 01:20)
Print Wikipost

SQ's "low service" First class offering.. now standard on overnight flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
We are flying late night from Delhi to SIN in first. No idea what to expect either onboard, or in the lounge. Would gladly (sort of) get something to eat earlier is nothing in lounge. Have tried searching but not found any reviews of SIN lounge in Delhi.
There are a few (hot) meal options (veg/non-veg) in the SKL in DEL. It should be good enough to fill the stomach ;-).
There is no separation between Suites/First and Business Class/*Gold, they just reserve a few seats close to the entrance for Suites passengers (on the evening flight).
Old Jan 26, 2016, 2:01 am

Programs: BW Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, M&C Gold
Originally Posted by hgp
OK, so this is a first world problem, but here goes.

Last month needed to fly MEL/SIN at short notice. The F fare was only a little more than the J fare, so I thought "what the heck".

Booked on the flight departing MEL at 1am and was sorely disappointed with catering. Unbeknownst to me, this flight offered only SQ's "supper service". The meal on departure comprised a bread roll, BTC dish and a little fruit. That's it! Then crew disappeared early into the galley to leave passengers to make up their own beds.

The following morning, waking 45 minutes before arrival, the crew advised that because I had a meal on departure, it was not possible to have breakfast. I was offered an orange juice, nothing more. They also said it was too late to serve coffee.

The two crew serving the F cabin offered lots of "so sorry" responses and promised to "report to management". The inflight service manager, however, was conspicuous by his absence - he studiously avoided any interaction or eye contact with pax.

A very disappointing SQ F experience. I've written to the airline, and received a standard response, mostly explaining the flight only offered a supper service and promising to "impress upon the crew the importance of paying attention to finer details and delivering their service professionally". In other words, not a serious response.

May be time to give EK or QF a run on this sector.
"For instance, when cabin crews noticed that about a third of passengers don’t eat dinner on late-night flights out of Singapore, they recommended carrying less food."

The report was more than 5 years ago, so SQ had been doing this for quite some time.

An old but still good read never the less.

Source - https://hbr.org/2010/07/the-globe-si...-balancing-act
rt23456p likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by SQ325
There are a few (hot) meal options (veg/non-veg) in the SKL in DEL. It should be good enough to fill the stomach ;-).
There is no separation between Suites/First and Business Class/*Gold, they just reserve a few seats close to the entrance for Suites passengers (on the evening flight).
Thanks SQ325. Decent lounge/poor lounge? Suggestions about getting their early or avoid if possible? We will be coming off a long day in Delhi for a 10pm flight
Old Jan 27, 2016, 3:07 pm

Thanks SQ325. Decent lounge/poor lounge? Suggestions about getting their early or avoid if possible? We will be coming off a long day in Delhi for a 10pm flight
Nothing too remarkable. Lounge feels too 'open'. Food wise, it's mass market Indian buffet slop.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 3:13 pm

Makes me real annoyed to read this thread.

F SHOULD BE FULL SERVICE ALWAYS. NEVER A SUPPER SERVICE.

There are other airlines that provide arguably as good if not better full service. Switch to those.
royng likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by hgp
The following morning, waking 45 minutes before arrival, the crew advised that because I had a meal on departure, it was not possible to have breakfast. I was offered an orange juice, nothing more. They also said it was too late to serve coffee.
45 mins to landing and not being able to serve coffee? Ridiculous.

It's all in the crew attitude. And willingness to take initiative.

I've had a darling of a crew on BA F that, barely 20 mins to landing and I requested a tea, she apologised for not being able to serve in a tea pot but went on to brew a perfect cup in a mug!
Old Jan 27, 2016, 6:45 pm

To me its a decent lounge. One of the better lounges in India. The quality of food is okay to me, nothing to talk about, but not bad either.

If I would try to get in early? No, surely not, a lounge to me is a waiting room no matter how posh it is. I would possibly try to take diner either in one of the hotels near the airport or in the city (but note that the traffic out of the city in the evening can sometimes be a bit painful).
Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:22 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
There are other airlines that provide arguably as good if not better full service. Switch to those.
Good luck finding a carrier that provides better F service leaving MEL at midnight flying to SIN, as per OP ..... or anywhere in Asia for that matter. TG, CX, MH, CZ, MU all have services at that time of night, without a First cabin. Best bet would be waiting another 2.5 hrs for the EK flight to KUL, but if end destination is SIN, getting there around 11am after connecting through KUL is it worth it for an extra meal?

The better choices are the late afternoon SQ (Full F service) and EK flights.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:43 pm

One more observation, yesterday travelling on SQ 217, I sighted the biz menu for the flight in question (SQ 218) ... this is what the menu indicates, not sure if it is the same on the F menu..

For a longer stretch of undisturbed rest, we are pleased to offer you meal service options specially timed to suit your preferencs. Whether you would like your meal to be served soon after take-off, or two hours before
arrival, or both - simply inform our crew and leave the rest to our care.
So having both meals in also an option, at least in business.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 2:43 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by lokijuh
One more observation, yesterday travelling on SQ 217, I sighted the biz menu for the flight in question (SQ 218) ... this is what the menu indicates, not sure if it is the same on the F menu..

So having both meals in also an option, at least in business.
Yes it is. See a recent menu from a SQ red-eye flight in F (posted in the FT all airline menu thread).
Old Jan 30, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: KF PPS, MM FT
I don't understand why people insist on the "poor crew" theory as if the crew was hiding food in the galley. It is poor SERVICE, nothing else. SQ has been going down the drain rather quickly lately, and their management couldn't care less. All they offer are these unimaginative emails of excuses and apologies and that's it.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
45 mins to landing and not being able to serve coffee? Ridiculous.
So close to the landing everyone switched to "home mode" it seems.

Disappointing, normally SQ is a lot better than their home port when it comes to service.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:31 am

Hi guys,

It would be my first time flying First Class from Singapore to Melbourne on the redeye flight of 1150pm.

Couple of questions, if you guys dont mind?

1.) What should i order for BTC? I was thinking of Wagyu Sirloin? Any other recommendations?
2.) I understand that there is only going to be one meal, so what would be the best way by which i can maximize my "experience" albeit on a red eye flight?
3.) What is there to "do" at the TPR? Would i be able to have dinner in the TPR?

Thanks!
rt23456p likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 5:11 pm
hgp
Ambassador: Thai Airways
Original Poster

Programs: EK*P, TG*P, SQ*PPS
Originally Posted by dls2000
Hi guys,

It would be my first time flying First Class from Singapore to Melbourne on the redeye flight of 1150pm.

Couple of questions, if you guys dont mind?

1.) What should i order for BTC? I was thinking of Wagyu Sirloin? Any other recommendations?
2.) I understand that there is only going to be one meal, so what would be the best way by which i can maximize my "experience" albeit on a red eye flight?
3.) What is there to "do" at the TPR? Would i be able to have dinner in the TPR?

Thanks!
I understand SQ237 offers SQ's "supper service" and this means severely limited catering. Why not take SQ227? It departs 2 hours earlier and you can enjoy the full F dinner service which is wonderful!

(1) It's a personal preference kind of thing. In my experience the BTC offering is always very good so select something that appeals to your tastes

(2) It's not much of an experience with just the supper service. Eat slowly, I guess...

(3) Not much to do, but you can enjoy a drink or two plus have dinner in the TPR. The meal choices are very nice.

Happy travels.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by dls2000
Focus on the drink not the food Order supper via BTC, enjoy your favourite drink or three, then when the time comes... get them to make your bed and go to sleep, and wake just before landing.

I don't know what they offer usually in F, but really is having breakfast just for the sake of "the experience" that important, when you can probably get better breakfast in a Melbourne cafe for $20 or less?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.