Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Involuntary denied boarding for visa by SQ (compensation?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Involuntary denied boarding for visa by SQ (compensation?)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2015, 3:57 am

Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and move on, even if you are right/they are wrong.

If there had been a financial cost incurred, that would be much easier to claim/discuss. Especially in the absence of any particular legislation mandating compensation for IDB, you will only end up wasting more time with little prospect of success.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:24 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by jetsetter86
Already tried that. They won't budge. They didn't use TIMATC like they are supposed to. Anybody have ideas on other means of escalation? Department of fair trading couldn't help and recommended legal aid.
I sympathize you. But visa matter is rather complicated. The airlines may risk to be penalized if your mom was deny entry in BOM. Not only SQ has to bear the cost to put your mom on the flight back but they may also have to pay fine. The agent may also be in trouble if they let it go.

You should ring the Indian consultant before hands and get the proper clearance.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:14 pm

Already tried that. They won't budge. They didn't use TIMATC like they are supposed to. Anybody have ideas on other means of escalation? Department of fair trading couldn't help and recommended legal aid.
What are the losses you incurred? To me it sounds like that the whole thing is just an inconvenience you want to get compensated for.

You could seek legal advise, but honestly I do not see that you get anywhere except of wasting money.
Currently you base your case on that "they are supposed to use TIMATC". Who requires them to do so?
Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by stargold
Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and move on, even if you are right/they are wrong.
Originally Posted by SQ325
What are the losses you incurred? To me it sounds like that the whole thing is just an inconvenience you want to get compensated for.
Agreed. I've asked jetsetter86 earlier in the thread what actual losses he incurred (because it does seem from his post that SQ put his mum on a later flight, and she did get to her destination safely). If it's just compensation for inconvenience then this doesn't seem like a battle worth fighting.

Still waiting for his response though.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:38 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by shuigao
Agreed. I've asked jetsetter86 earlier in the thread what actual losses he incurred (because it does seem from his post that SQ put his mum on a later flight, and she did get to her destination safely). If it's just compensation for inconvenience then this doesn't seem like a battle worth fighting.

Still waiting for his response though.
That's often the problem here on FT. People post rant and or request for advice and if the reaction of the wider FT community does not suit their mood/opinion/rant, they never come back...
Old Dec 23, 2015, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek
That's often the problem here on FT. People post rant and or request for advice and if the reaction of the wider FT community does not suit their mood/opinion/rant, they never come back...
I do not see as a problem. People come here to seek opinion.

The OP probably get it that there is no point (at least the consensus of the majority in this forum) to make a complain. So not sure what reply you are expecting from the OP.

If he keeps insisting then some people will say why he keep insisting his way and wasting everyone time here

Well of course this is just my own opinion.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 11:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by lingua101
If he keeps insisting then some people will say why he keep insisting his way and wasting everyone time here

Well of course this is just my own opinion.
In this case, we are asking OP what his losses were, because that would definitely shape our opinion and advice.

If he says "SQ forfeited my ticket and made me buy a new one for my mother, and since it was a last minute one way ticket it cost a ton of money" of course it's a battle worth fighting.

On the other hand if it's just inconvenience and the only real loss he incurred was his mother getting to her destination a few hours late ...
Old Dec 25, 2015, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I dare to say that with an IDB case based on visa-irregularities you would have a hard time to claim compensation under EC261/2004 from any airline in europe.
No!
If an airlines (ex EU) refuses boarding because the airlines "believes" the passenger has not the correct paperwork (whereas the passenger has the correct docs), then the airline becomes liable to pay EC261/2004 compensation.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 3:38 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
My mum was travelling from SYD-BOM two months ago. She has an Australian Passport and is also an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI). There was a bit of a mix up at the Airport as she recently got a new Australian passport (old one expired) which did not contain her OCI Life Long Visa, she did however have her OCI booklet/passport on her. SQ staff insisted that she needed this visa in her new Australian Passport to travel and denied her boarding. I rang the Indian Consulate who said this was not a requirement and they issued an email which enabled mum to get the afternoon flight, also she had no dramas when actually entering Mumbai. My understanding was that TIMATIC is the official system they must use for visa guidelines. Having complained to SQ about the matter they say they are placing reliance on information provided by a third part visa service provider VFS. Per TIMATIC mum should have been allowed to travel. After months of correspondence SQ are refusing to take responsibility for the error and to provide involuntary denied boarding compensation. Does anyone have any suggestions on next steps? Or a view on if we are in the right?
I travel frequently to India in the same situation (OCI plus new passport without the U visa in it; I don't carry the expired passport that has the U visa) and SQ has never had any problem in SIN; they are well aware of the changes that came out ~1 year ago about not needing the original visa.

It looks to me that SQ at SYD are at fault and this is clearly an IDB, so you should push for some sort of IDB compensation (even if you may not be entitled to any by local law).
Old Dec 26, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Savage25
..It looks to me that SQ at SYD are at fault and this is clearly an IDB, so you should push for some sort of IDB compensation (even if you may not be entitled to any by local law).
Australia has no real consumer protection when it comes to air travel .. as bizarre fun result of that is e.g. the CoC of QF that doesn't even guarantee travel in the cabin you paid for ...

So the legal route will be hard to pursue.

But if the OP can raise the perceived cost and damage high enough for SQ they will seek some form of mediation or comp. It won't be easy though and may not be worth the effort.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by warakorn
No!
If an airlines (ex EU) refuses boarding because the airlines "believes" the passenger has not the correct paperwork (whereas the passenger has the correct docs), then the airline becomes liable to pay EC261/2004 compensation.
That's not my point. Law is one thing, to get the compensation is another thing. This case is tricky:
- Did the airline rely on information from a third party provider?
- Is the airline responsible for the information provided by the third party provider?
- Which relevance has e-mail information provided by an embassy?

I still believe, if this would have happen in Europe, that most airlines in Europe would (first) refuse to provide compensation and you would have to enforce your claim in court.
The EU law provides a legal framework, but airlines are still reluctant to acknowledge claims despite the fact that they done wrong. It is not a coincidence, that there are plenty of agency offering help to enforce claims against airlines in the EU.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by shuigao
In this case, we are asking OP what his losses were, because that would definitely shape our opinion and advice.

If he says "SQ forfeited my ticket and made me buy a new one for my mother, and since it was a last minute one way ticket it cost a ton of money" of course it's a battle worth fighting.

On the other hand if it's just inconvenience and the only real loss he incurred was his mother getting to her destination a few hours late ...
OK Noted. But sometimes the way people ask the question here like confrontation especially when on the opposite side

I know it is tuff as this is written language that can be interpreted differently from the original intention and some of us are not native speaker of English
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:17 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by lingua101
OK Noted. But sometimes the way people ask the question here like confrontation especially when on the opposite side

I know it is tuff as this is written language that can be interpreted differently from the original intention and some of us are not native speaker of English
Perhaps good idea to change your handle lingua101 to something else?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by vbroucek
Perhaps good idea to change your handle lingua101 to something else?
I do not know what you are trying to get. But I do not really think your post is really appropriate.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 12:20 pm
formerly gantid

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Platinum elite, *G, Hilton Gold
I travel frequently to India (US citizen) with OCI booklet. The official rule (from Indian embassy in Washington DC) is that YOU MUST carry the expired passport that has the life time visa stamped along with your new passport and the OCI booklet. Just the OCI booklet and your new passport are not enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.