Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore - helsinki

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2015, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Singapore - helsinki

Hi,

I am actually planning for a sin-Hel in Dec 2016. Singapore airline do not fly direct to Finland Helsinki. There is a connecting flight from Frankfurt required. Any kind soul out there has done award redemption on krisflyer. How do we do that because online redemption not allowed for this redemption. If anyone done a redemption what the miles required for business. Thanks.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:13 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by Wavery21
Hi,

I am actually planning for a sin-Hel in Dec 2016. Singapore airline do not fly direct to Finland Helsinki. There is a connecting flight from Frankfurt required. Any kind soul out there has done award redemption on krisflyer. How do we do that because online redemption not allowed for this redemption. If anyone done a redemption what the miles required for business. Thanks.
For mixed Star Alliance carrier redemptions, you would have to refer to the Star Alliance award chart here. These cannot be booked online and have to be done either by contacting the call center or visiting the Sales office in Ion Orchard. Take note there is no 15% mileage discount as it's a mixed carrier award.

As you can see, you would be flying South East Asia 1 - Europe:

Economy Award: 90k miles
Business Award: 165k miles
First Award: 215k miles

Depending on the award availability, looks like you can fly SQ-LH or SQ-SK.

Last edited by lcpteck; Nov 29, 2015 at 12:20 am
Old Nov 29, 2015, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Your choices are SIN-anywhere in EU and then connecting to HEL.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
TK may be a good option
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Have done this city pair (and other European destinations) combining SQ and other airlines, e.g. AY, on separate tickets.

I would not use KF miles to fly on other * partners, but that is my preference. Plus I would aim at saver awards on SQ incl. online discount - depends of course on how you value miles etc. etc.

Instead of using those additional miles to get a connecting flight, I would just book AY or LH separately for FRA-HEL. Of course there is always the risk of a missed "connection" (= having to buy a new ticket most likely), so you might even choose to have an overnight stay between the flights.

You might also consider flying to e.g. CPH, AMS, MUC, ZRH, MXP, FCO etc. on SQ and book a separate ticket from any of those cities. All of these airports have direct flights to HEL.

At the risk of sounding redundant, AY fly non-stop HEL-SIN and A350s should be serving the route at some point in the spring.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by nanyang
At the risk of sounding redundant, AY fly non-stop HEL-SIN and A350s should be serving the route at some point in the spring.
You're not sounding redundant, you are redundant. OP clearly stated he/she wanted to do KF redemption which is obviously not possible on AY.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek
You're not sounding redundant, you are redundant. OP clearly stated he/she wanted to do KF redemption which is obviously not possible on AY.
That's a bit harsh...

Normally I would also prefer SQ if going to Europe, but every now and then I'm happy to choose AY to save time. If the OP is going to HEL, non-stop would certainly save time and might be cost-efficient also.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by nanyang
That's a bit harsh...

Normally I would also prefer SQ if going to Europe, but every now and then I'm happy to choose AY to save time. If the OP is going to HEL, non-stop would certainly save time and might be cost-efficient also.
Again, read OP. He/she wants to do KF redemption, so AY is out of question as well as cost-efficiency...
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by vbroucek
Again, read OP. He/she wants to do KF redemption, so AY is out of question as well as cost-efficiency...
I'm glad someone is policing the internet.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for input. I am thinking doing Sin-Zurich then buy a ticket for finnair to helsinki from sq call centre.

Then get them to arrange Helsinki-copenhenge then SIN.

Not sure if this is possible but have to wait for year end to do it as slot for redemption not available yet.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 4:55 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Thanks everyone for input. I am thinking doing Sin-Zurich then buy a ticket for finnair to helsinki from sq call centre.

Not sure if this is possible but have to wait for year end to do it as slot for redemption not available yet.
You could also redeem Finnair (AY) using AsiaMiles.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 7:26 am

The most cost-effective option might be to book AY ZRH-HEL and AY HEL-CPH on the same ticket. I recommend going via finnair.com - the cheapest channel for this, I'm pretty sure.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: SQ Elite Silver, QF

If you're flying Business and only using the SQ flight to connect to an AY flight in Europe, I would recommend redeeming either FCO or CPH over other cities because they are classed as a different zone (that has nothing to do with geography) and require fewer miles for J redemptions (60k for CPH vs 80k for ZRH before the online discount).

Note that this difference doesn't apply to Economy.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 3:00 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Finnair flies direct if you're a oneworld guy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.