Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore to Miami

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2015, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Singapore to Miami

I was hoping to get some advice on arranging a flight from Singapore to Miami.

I would like to fly SQ most of the way, which probably means to the USA, then connecting a flight internally. I would also like to stop over for a few days at Los Angeles on the way back.

Based on the internal flights, these are very long, especially on United, which is the only *A carrier. If I flew Singapore - LAX, I would either have to catch a red-eye or stay overnight for the next flight to Miami.

The only direct flight I can find is on American Airlines, which does not accrue miles.

Does anyone else have any suggestions, based on their experience?

Thank you!
Old Nov 21, 2015, 6:30 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Yurrup

Since you want to get to the East Coast why not SIN-FRA-JFK? Plenty of flights from JFK to Miami on American and Delta
Old Nov 21, 2015, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice. I want to stop in Los Angeles on the way back, hence I was planning on a round trip.

I could do East Coast to Miami, then over to LAX. What is the best way to book round the world tickets - should I call SQ or do it through a travel agent. I can't seem to do it on the website.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 12:11 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Two one ways? I have not looked into a mileage RTW, but in your scenario don't think it is,needed. Keep in mind though that adding in a *A segment to your one way or round-trip makes this a *A redemption using KF miles and means no 15% online booking discount on your KF miles used.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Sounds this is a revenue ticket as opposed to an award one?
Old Nov 22, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Sounds this is a revenue ticket as opposed to an award one?
Don't SQ and VA have codeshares which would enable OP to purchase SIN-LHR-Miami with the first leg in SQ and the second one on VA?
Old Nov 22, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: BA | VS | UA | DL
Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
Don't SQ and VA have codeshares which would enable OP to purchase SIN-LHR-Miami with the first leg in SQ and the second one on VA?
I would do this (although use VS not VA!).

Fly SIN-LHR on SQ then connect (T2 - T3) onto the VS5 or VS117 to MIA. The VS flight will net miles and elite points.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:35 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Ohh revenue ticket? Missed that. How refreshing, usually questions are about mileage tickets
Old Nov 23, 2015, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Seattle1
I was hoping to get some advice on arranging a flight from Singapore to Miami.

I would like to fly SQ most of the way, which probably means to the USA, then connecting a flight internally. I would also like to stop over for a few days at Los Angeles on the way back.

Based on the internal flights, these are very long, especially on United, which is the only *A carrier. If I flew Singapore - LAX, I would either have to catch a red-eye or stay overnight for the next flight to Miami.

The only direct flight I can find is on American Airlines, which does not accrue miles.

Does anyone else have any suggestions, based on their experience?

Thank you!
Paying for First Class on United would be a complete waste of money, especially on those horrible 737s. Just my two cents.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, AZ Platinum, Shangri-La Jade, HHonors Gold
Hi there, I fly frequently between my two homes of Singapore and Miami, and have tried both TPAC and TATL crossings.

If you want to fly SQ TPAC most of the way, I would suggest SIN - NRT - LAX on SQ and LAX - FLL on VX. However, currently, SQ 12 from NRT lands just before noon, so it means you will have to wait for the 10:45pm VX flight to FLL (I have done this before, sometimes with longer layovers. I suggest booking a cheap German convertible from sixt.com and drive to the hills around LA).

You can also fly SIN - HKG/ICN - SFO on SQ and then SFO to FLL on VX, although the schedules are even worse, but, again you could spend a day in SFO.

I would much rather recommend you fly TPAC than TATL, as, if timed right, you can leave Singapore either early morning or late evening the day before and arrive in Florida late evening the same day.

One of the most efficient options is to fly SIN - NRT - ORD - MIA. I have done this in the past on UA and found it's usually the shortest as the connections all seem to be timed perfectly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.