Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Questions on Award Redemption JFK-FRA-SIN-MLE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2015, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP GOLD, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat

Hello everyone,

Getting married and planning to fly from JFK to Male with two stopovers for our honeymoon using KrysFlier Saver Award Tickets.

A couple of questions

I think I have the mileage calculations right but just needed some reassurance from veterans of this fantastic forum that I'm planning it correctly

On the Singapore website you cannot book on First all the way from JFK to MLE. First is only from JFK to SIN, then its Business Class from SIN to MLE.

So if I rely on the website the calculations for a one way Saver award are:
JFK-SIN in First 110,000 miles ea.
SIN-MLE in business 35,000 miles ea
Total miles needed (with 15% discount for online booking): 246,500

On the other hand, the SQ One Way Award Charts shows that from Zone 14 (JFK) to Zone 6 (Maldives) the cost is 132,500 per passenger in First (I believe one pay's the highest even though the SIN-MLE is in J.)
So total miles needed 265,000.

Now since what I need cannot be booked online, i would have to call in and do it on the phone. For this they should honor the 15% discount (correct?)
With that said, the miles needed would now be 225,250.
Am I correct?

Second question: will need to do two stopovers, one in FRA and one in SIN. $100 fee per stopover to do so correct?

I've just read hundreds of blogs and posts in 2 weeks and my head is exploding with information... hope I got it right!

Thanks in advance!
Leonardo
Old Oct 1, 2015, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Congratulations!

I can't answer the second question and haven't checked your math. But you're correct regarding the first question's online booking issue: Because you can't book the mixed cabin ticket online, you can call and still get the 15 percent online discount.

Having said that, you might find (as I and others have) that not all SQ customer service reps are familiar with this and other rules and therefore might want to deny you the discount, or insist that you have to book JFK-SIN F and SIN-MLE J as separate tickets, or whatever. If you run into an ignorant one, hang up and call again. In addition, I've found the SQ Krisflyer membership services number in Singapore (as opposed to the reservation number) tends to have the best informed agents, so you might try there: +65 6789 8188

Hope it all works out!

Last edited by Thunderroad; Oct 1, 2015 at 5:17 pm
Old Oct 1, 2015, 7:16 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Just a couple of thoughts..

Firstly by stopover do you mean you actually want to break your journey and spend some time in FRA or SIN or that you simply need to transit there as part of your journey.? On a round trip saver you are entitled to one free stopover, transits do not count as stopovers.. Other than that, yes you are correct US$100 for additional stopovers.

Secondly, SIN to MLE is not a particularly long flight, usually around 4-4.5 Hours. If you do want to have a stopover in SIN then rather than paying the US$100 stopover fee + redeeming miles + paying SQ fuel surcharges and taxes (which are high) you might find its cheaper and more convenient, not to mention avoiding redemption availability hassles, to simply buy tickets on Tiger . A low cost airline that flies SIN-MLE. Their flight timings are quite convenient, pay a little more for an exit row seat and they are perfectly bearable for the relatively short flight...
Old Oct 2, 2015, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmdsea
Just a couple of thoughts..

Firstly by stopover do you mean you actually want to break your journey and spend some time in FRA or SIN or that you simply need to transit there as part of your journey.? On a round trip saver you are entitled to one free stopover, transits do not count as stopovers.. Other than that, yes you are correct US$100 for additional stopovers.

Secondly, SIN to MLE is not a particularly long flight, usually around 4-4.5 Hours. If you do want to have a stopover in SIN then rather than paying the US$100 stopover fee + redeeming miles + paying SQ fuel surcharges and taxes (which are high) you might find its cheaper and more convenient, not to mention avoiding redemption availability hassles, to simply buy tickets on Tiger . A low cost airline that flies SIN-MLE. Their flight timings are quite convenient, pay a little more for an exit row seat and they are perfectly bearable for the relatively short flight...
Hi!
Yes, plan is to stopover in FRA several days (hopping to Italy for wedding) and then SIN for a couple of nights before we head out to MLE.

Good advice on Tiger! I'll look into it if they don't allow two stopovers.
Thanks!
Old Oct 2, 2015, 2:23 pm

Also have in mind finding award space on SQ R JFK>FRA>SIN is very difficult, the problem is usually the FRA>SIN Suites which is hard to get.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ual902
Also have in mind finding award space on SQ R JFK>FRA>SIN is very difficult, the problem is usually the FRA>SIN Suites which is hard to get.
Yeah, that's what I had noticed. But I also noticed that if one searches JFK-FRA on it's own, it's typically wait list only, but searching that same day JFK-SIN the seats are available on the same flight SQ25. I assume SQ wants more clients to go direct to SIN than use the perk of doing only JFK-FRA (best value miles/product of any airline) and not continue to SIN. Makes sense, bring business home I guess.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
I had the same conundrum - looking for routing to go from JFK to DAC (Dhaka Bangladesh). In the end, to avoid talking to a live person, I just end up buying two separate tickets - JFK to SIN and SIN to DAC. Probably lost some miles in the process (did not do the math) but I really did not want to waste a bunch of time trying to get a good agent on the line.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Panic...
Called in to book the flights and i was told they cannot waitlist more than 1 person in First.
So ended up getting waitlisted for 2 in Business on the dates that we need.

At this point, what should I do, call every day to confirm at least we get Business? Wait for them to contact me when the seats are available for booking in Business? Is there a way to get waitlisted in First with a supervisor override? The CS person i spoke to said the system won't allow overrides.

Should I book and pay for Economy to be sure we are not left without a trip? dilemma!
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Oh my. When is this trip supposed to happen? That could affect the advice folks give you.

Have you checked award availability on other airlines that you could use your SQ miles on, such as *A partners LH and TK or (I believe this is a partner, though not *A) Virgin?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Oh my. When is this trip supposed to happen? That could affect the advice folks give you.

Have you checked award availability on other airlines that you could use your SQ miles on, such as *A partners LH and TK or (I believe this is a partner, though not *A) Virgin?
The dates were Sept 17th (or 18th) JFK-FRA, then Sept 26th FRA-SIN and then Sept 29th SIN_MLE.
Haven't checked Star Alliance partner's award availability yet. I may not have enough miles anyway to switch to a partner. But at this point, I just need to keep on checking daily and hope that seats become available. I'll also call daily to speak with CS directly in Singapore, hoping that eventually I'll speak to someone that can do something
Its going to be a long year!
Keep you posted!
Old Oct 13, 2015, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Today i saw avail in First on JFK-SIN with KVS Tool. I called and they confirmed it is but also said that JFK-SIN award inventory is different from what i need (JFK-FRA-stopover-FRA-SIN-stopover-SIN-MLE).

Which means I need to see avail each leg separately in order to actually book it.

I did manage to get wait-listed on First for FRA-SIN though! Small steps I guess....
More to come...
Cheers!
Old Oct 13, 2015, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

What if i booked the flight that is available and then called back the Krysflier center in a couple of days to add the stopover I need? Once the ticket is issued I assume it falls off from "inventory restrictions" or am I wrong? Has anyone tried this?
Thanks!
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure if this answers your question, but SQ is different from most airlines in terms of adjusting award tickets. It's as though you're starting again from scratch, in that all legs must show award availability. The fact that you already have an award ticket doesn't help if any of the very legs that you have award seats on are no longer available for a fresh award booking.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Not sure if this answers your question, but SQ is different from most airlines in terms of adjusting award tickets. It's as though you're starting again from scratch, in that all legs must show award availability. The fact that you already have an award ticket doesn't help if any of the very legs that you have award seats on are no longer available for a fresh award booking.
I was afraid of that, thanks for clarifying.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're welcome, but I'd double check this info with SQ itself. I'm pretty sure of this based on my own recent attempt to modify an SQ award ticket. But I'd hate to steer you wrong, since I'm far from an SQ expert myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.