Wiki Posts
Search

Business Class Meal Cost Cutting?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2015, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Business Class Meal Cost Cutting?

Hi All,

First world problem I just flew Business Class from Rome to Singapore (which I paid for) and this was the main course dish I received. Of course it's subjective, but I don't believe this is really up to the level of a Business Class main course. Thoughts?

PS. The *tiny* omelette was inedible. Completely dry and quite revolting Economy class omelettes are larger and taste better!

Last edited by maestro1981; Sep 21, 2015 at 6:23 am Reason: Added text marked PS.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 6:37 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
This is the breakfast service, right?

It seems "ok" to me. Catering depends a lot on local catering quality.

If you ever fly ex-PVG, you will know what I am talking about.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I think it has to do with what the local catering think what an omelette should look like.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 11:53 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by maestro1981
Of course it's subjective, but I don't believe this is really up to the level of a Business Class main course. Thoughts?
Doesn't seem all that bad IMO. For comparison sake this was my wife's biz class omelette main on MH a while ago:

Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:23 am
Original Poster

I guess I'm quite over-reacting :P I just didn't think that a few cold cuts of meat, one cherry tomato, a few bits of lettuce really cut it for a business class meal (compared to what SQ used to serve on this route). Thanks for the input above everyone
Old Sep 22, 2015, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Have to say that does look pretty revolting. Not something I would expect to find on SQ. More like a soviet-era Aeroflot meal.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
I really think it's a catering station issue, and what is the norm for a breakfast main . I'm also someone who assiduously avoids the 'western' breakfast option, because it's pretty much the same - an egg concoction, some veg or potato side, and a meat (though I more often see a roast sausage and not cold cuts).

I prefer to BTC or take the asian meal option! And if I'm not up for a hot main, I will just skip and stick with the fruit plate and cereal, maybe load up on the bread basket if I do want something more.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:57 pm

Next time, walk.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by maestro1981
I guess I'm quite over-reacting :P
In a way yes. Its anyway the first (breakfast) meal served on that flight. To me SQs breakfast was/is never tempting, so usually I give it a miss. I usually just ask for the fruits, sometimes the Muesli in addition.

I don't see a cost cutting here. Yes, the quality varies a lot between the stations and even catering out of SIN doesn't provide a constant quality.

Out of curiosity: How was the second meal?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by SQ325
Its anyway the first (breakfast) meal served on that flight. T

Out of curiosity: How was the second meal?
On the Europe midday departures (in this instance ex-FCO), isn't the first and main meal lunch and the second meal breakfast (before the 6am arrival)?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Have to say that does look pretty revolting. Not something I would expect to find on SQ. More like a soviet-era Aeroflot meal.
I come from an indian family and it seems to me that indians tend to like omlettes that would be considered overcooked by American or European standards. Perhaps it is like that in other asian countries?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 4:22 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Well personal opinion, but I do think the visible presentation and quality of the product selected appears poor and cheap. Out of Italy they could have a great cold platter with antipasti, different salumi and cheeses, but not that sad pile of whatever it is supposed to be. If SQ accepts or worse specifies this for the caterer then that is very sad. To be honest, I would "bi*ch" about it, but then that is just me .
Old Sep 23, 2015, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I think it has to do with what the local catering think what an omelette should look like.
It immediately caused me to think what it looks like... but is too rude to say out loud!
Old Sep 23, 2015, 6:25 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
It immediately caused me to think what it looks like... but is too rude to say out loud!
I don't think Im too far off from what you are thinking. HAHAHA
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To me, it looks like these breakfasts are trying to follow some local European customs in what they add to the omelette dish, with the SQ cold cuts and cheese common in Germany, Holland etc. while the MH cooked vegetables and mushrooms remind me of a British full breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.