EU Flight delay compensation question

Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

EU Flight delay compensation question

Hi everyone,

I was looking at the EU passenger rights document regarding claiming compensation for delayed flights for my flight FRA-JFK. My flight was delayed for 222minutes for boarding and 218 minutes for landing.

According to the website,
Financial compensation
In addition, if you are denied boarding, your flight is cancelled or arrives more than 3 hours late on arrival at the final destination stated on your ticket, you may be entitled to compensation of 250 - 600, depending on the distance of the flight:

Within the EU

1,500 km or less - 250
over 1,500 km - 400
Between EU airport and non-EU airport

1,500 km or less - 250
1,500 - 3,500 km - 400
over 3,500 km - 600
So technically, I should be able to claim for the late arrival in JFK?

However, when looking at the complaint form, there is no choice for flight delay. The only choice is 'Long Delay'
Long delay means when a flight does not depart until after the scheduled departure time
by:
i) two or more hours, for flights of up to 1500 km;
ii) three or more hours for intra-EU flights of 1,500 km and longer, or for other flights
between 1501 and 3000 km;
iii) four or more hours, for all other flights.
which would mean that I cannot claim for a long delay since it is 18minutes short of 4 hours.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could shed some light on this, if there is any way I could claim for the 3 hour delay in landing.

Also, as I was on SQ26, SIN-FRA-JFK, would I be treated as 'departing from a EU country' as my boarding pass only states SIN-JFK.

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:05 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
I actually don't think you're able to claim if you were ticketed SIN-JFK with a technical stop in FRA.

If you were FRA-JFK then you would be able to for a 3 hour delay.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'm 99% certain that this does not fall under EC261. Non-community carrier on a ticket that does not include a community destination/departure.

Last edited by LondonElite; Aug 28, 2015 at 5:07 am
Old Aug 28, 2015, 6:09 am

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'm 99% certain that this does not fall under EC261. Non-community carrier on a ticket that does not include a community destination/departure.
Correct. Your ticket states SIN-JFK and FRA was only a techincal stop in EU, so you are not entitled for compensation.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
EC 261/2004 does not cover non EU carriers departing from outside the EU, e.g. SIN.

A passenger boarding at FRA or who purchased a stop-over at FRA would be covered.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:54 am
Original Poster

I see. Too bad then.
Thanks for the answers!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.