Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Feedback to SQ on breakfast service times

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus

The departure time of SQ305 has been shifted to 09:05 from October so that it will depart and arrive around breakfast local time.

I am currently in communication with SQ catering who I understand have yet to confirm the meal service for these flights.

Having almost certainly already taken breakfast in a Heathrow lounge, for me the provision of a full breakfast again on the aircraft so soon afterwards would be superfluous.

Therefore I have suggested to SQ that a better arrangement (for us business passengers at least) would be a light snack (continental breakfast?) shortly after departure then a main meal 3 - 4 hours into the flight. This would still allow for around 6 hours sleep before a full breakfast service a couple of hours before landing. This would be an appropriate way to start the day and to complete transition on to Singapore time.

Do you agree or, if not, what would you like the meal service on this flight to be?

Useful input from yourselves will be fed back to the contact I have and, though I know it is unlikely, it is vaguely possible that we might just have some influence the service to be provided!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
It'll probably be brunch leaving at that time. And if you are flying in J or F and are so concerned about what airplane frozen food defrosted will be served on-board, I highly recommend you BTC.

http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/fl...hecooklanding/

Last edited by djjaguar64; Aug 25, 2015 at 6:57 am
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Well there's at least two of us quite concerned about our frozen food

Yes thus flight time is a bit of a pickle catering wise. No one wants two breakfasts - well three counting the one before boarding - and I would assume SQ know that and wouldn't offer that to their passengers. Are there any examples from similarly timed two meal flights?

I genuinely feel I lose a lot of value if I don't get a proper lunch/dinner, I know some might find that silly but its one of the parts of flying I enjoy most, a meal and a couple of glasses of red, and we all have our own quirky preferences. (This was the only flight available in the sale, if you're wondering why I didn't get a later one).

Anyway, hopefully it looks like its brunch or lunch, wonder what the difference is? I don't think is be too happy just getting a croissant on boarding if I've already had breakfast, idrather just have a good lunch, maybe service could be slightly slower down, then time to rest without being bothered again. But I'm I Y anyway so no chance of an extra service!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But if you are flying in economy I don't think it is a big deal, but then again, I recommend ordering a Hindu Meal at least you'll get served before all other passengers and it'll be delectable.

And keep in mind i think for that flight SQ offers a mid flight snack as well.

By the time the flight takes off and is at cruising altitude it'll be 10am then by the time they defrost & heat the frozen food, it'll be lunch time. Not to worry SQ's meals are usually good.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
If you are that worried about the food, can you move flights to SQ 317, departing at 10:55? Most definitely a lunch service.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:23 pm

Why have they shifted it to 4 hours earlier?! That's pretty much taken a machete to my schedule. Anyone know if this is a seasonal change only?

Edit: Looks like it is seasonal.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Phaze
Why have they shifted it to 4 hours earlier?! That's pretty much taken a machete to my schedule. Anyone know if this is a seasonal change only?

Edit: Looks like it is seasonal.
Not sure why the change but it impacts many people who have concerns with breakfasts and lunches.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Unhappy

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Not sure why the change but it impacts many people who have concerns with breakfasts and lunches.
May I just ask why the sarcasm, twice now? Is the widely acknowledged excellent catering not a common reason people choose to fly SQ? Not sure why you seem to find that so ridiculous, its one of thr big differentiators between airlines. I'd have thought this forum is here for people to ask questions like this, if they are responded to like this it will just cause them and others to feel unwelcome, which would be a shame. And what does flying economy have to do with whether it matters or not? Are we so below the rest of you we aren't even allowed preferences for what kind of food we eat?

SQ are one of few airlines I genuinely look forward to flying as an experience rather than just getting from A-B as bearably as possible. I've flown Y with them before and really enjoy it, despite some saying Y is all the same. On SQ for me it is an experience, its a shame for me as an aviation enthusiast that some belittle that. Can't we all just be glad to see people excited about their trip and happy to inform those who fly a little less often?

Unfortunately I can't switch flights as its a sale fare, I'm sure I'll still love the flight, in not the type to get upset which way it turns out (it will be good food whatever it is), I was just curious, and it will be that much more enjoyable if there is a variety in the offerings.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:17 pm

I can't answer for him / her but here's why I find it hilarious (though I don't express it most of the time and haven't done here).

I'm jaded. Been there, done that. I fully understand that there is a subset of passengers who haven't flown that cabin / product before and that's why they're asking (I won't get started on the attention seekers / prima donnas that FT is saturated with) but I couldn't care and still find it funny. Guess people just have different personalities and traits. Simple really.

Right, time to go look at the Krug thread in the QR board
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nallison
May I just ask why the sarcasm, twice now? Is the widely acknowledged excellent catering not a common reason people choose to fly SQ? Not sure why you seem to find that so ridiculous, its one of thr big differentiators between airlines. I'd have thought this forum is here for people to ask questions like this, if they are responded to like this it will just cause them and others to feel unwelcome, which would be a shame. And what does flying economy have to do with whether it matters or not? Are we so below the rest of you we aren't even allowed preferences for what kind of food we eat?

SQ are one of few airlines I genuinely look forward to flying as an experience rather than just getting from A-B as bearably as possible. I've flown Y with them before and really enjoy it, despite some saying Y is all the same. On SQ for me it is an experience, its a shame for me as an aviation enthusiast that some belittle that. Can't we all just be glad to see people excited about their trip and happy to inform those who fly a little less often?

Unfortunately I can't switch flights as its a sale fare, I'm sure I'll still love the flight, in not the type to get upset which way it turns out (it will be good food whatever it is), I was just curious, and it will be that much more enjoyable if there is a variety in the offerings.
Im sorry if you took my comments as sarcasm, it was not meant that way at all. I was trying to determine what would be the issue if you are served breakfast or lunch on a plane, after all it is airline food.
People who are not sure, usually have the option of either eating in the lounge or buying something in the airport.

Yes, SQ serves great food especially in the J and F cabins albeit frozen. I also gave the suggestion to BTC.

So hopefully you now have an option, to buy something and bring it on-board, eat in the lounge or BTC.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Aug 25, 2015 at 6:13 pm
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Im sorry if you took my comments as sarcasm, it was not meant that way at all. I was trying to determine what would be the issue if you are served breakfast or lunch on a plane, after all it is airline food.
People who are not sure, usually have the option of either eating in the lounge or buying something in the airport.

Yes, SQ serves great food especially in the J and F cabins albeit frozen. I also gave the suggestion to BTC.

So hopefully you now have an option, to buy something and bring it on-board, eat in the lounge or BTC.
I think you've misunderstood me, I'm not saying its the end of the world if its 2 breakfasts, I asked an innocent question about what kind of service this flight would have due to its slightly unique timing, which I thought might be interesting for others too. Ive seen numerous other threads where people actually pick particular flights because of the meal service, i would nevre go so far!

I thought these fora were here for such questions. Its not an issue, I'm just interested to know, as i said I'd slightly prefer a lunch, (wouldn't most people) but I know I'll have a great time whichever. I actually enjoy airline food, it is part of the experience. Maybe I'm not as seasoned a traveler and haven't got as jaded as some, but for me its all part of the experience. In the end I'm an aviation enthusiast, not a status enthusiast and very happily enjoy flying in Y, I'll be the happiest person on the plane whatever I'm given!

As I say I don't fly so often, or with airlines as good as SQ, so am excited and interested in what I have to look forwarrd to Thanks for your auggestions., I will certainly eat in the airport anyway, food is quite a pleasure of mine, a meal, a glass of wine on a magnificent flying machine, to somewhere warm and beautiful, a great place to be
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by 777Aseatplease

Having almost certainly already taken breakfast in a Heathrow lounge, for me the provision of a full breakfast again on the aircraft so soon afterwards would be superfluous.
You won't be able to please everyone. For me - I don't eat breakfast in lounges (I don't eat breakfast at all). Nor might I arrive in time to have breakfast in the lounge at that time of the morning anyway.

So for me - a full meal service at 10am or so (an hour after take-off) would be exactly what I want. After that - watch some films or have a good sleep on a full tummy.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 2:13 am

The problem with meal service timing is that the airline has to cater to all types of passengers, which might typcially be sorted into those who might have an opportunity to grab a full meal at home or at the airport before the flight, and those who doesnt. OP belongs to the first type and LHR/MEL/Europe FF belongs to the second.

With flight travel, sometimes, you might never know when you will get hungry next, especially if the flight is part of a multi-leg journey. Since OP has the luxury of BTC, you should exercise that if you wish a lighter meal after liftoff. But i would stop short of making the assumption that your fellow business class passengers would prefer a light snack over a full breakfast. Your opening post seems to suggest that you had proposed that the airline change the meal service for the entire business class from a full breakfast to a light snack!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus
I would, of course, expect to get at least one full breakfast given the time of the flight. The question is should that full breakfast be offered on take off from LHR or prior to landing at SIN?

My feeling is that it should be the latter to help my jet lagged mind believe it really is morning.

However I know that others will feel differently and I though it might be interesting to find out how many of you would rather have a full breakfast on departure instead of (or maybe as well as) before arrival.

"Just asking" as my teenage sons would say
Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:59 pm

On J or F, if you are full from an earlier breakfast, you can request for them to serve you later. I was on a red eye flight and would rather sleep. I woke up after 8 hours, went to the galley and requested for my meal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.