Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-SIN-NRT Suites VS BA LHR-NRT F

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
LHR-SIN-NRT Suites VS BA LHR-NRT F

I'm currently planning a trip for 2 from SFO - LHR - NRT - SFO in April 2016. My wife wants to visit London and I want Japan so we are just going to be doing both. For the SFO - LHR leg ill be in AA F for 62.5k each which I think is reasonable.

My question is the LHR - NRT leg. I have the option of doing SQ Suites LHR-SIN-NRT for about 108k points each or I have the option of doing BA F on a 777 for only 70k AA points each, both award have identical surcharges around $500 ea. Is the SQ suites worth the extra 38k points each person?

Second question is for the NRT-SFO route I have the option for NRT-SIN-SFO for 102k each in J or 75K UA for Asiana J. I'm leaning toward using UA points here for the Asiana J since Asiana has a decent J product.

If anyone has any alternatives I would be open for the suggestion as well.

If it matters I have 200k MR, 410k UR, and 302k AA that I plan on using.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
NRT-SIN-SFO...... do you mean nrt - hkg - sfo on SQ?

Is ANA or JAL NRT - SFO not available? that would be my first choice. especially JAL (only 62.5k miles in F).

In terms of your outbound, it all depends on how you value your miles and time. SQ F is a lot better than BA F, but the latter is still great. Food and service will be light years ahead of AA F.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

How would one check award availability for ANA and JAL? I'm assuming calling SQ to check award availability for ANA but how about JAL?

Thanks
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
ANA you could use United's website. For JAL use BA.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by OnTheRocks
... I have the option of doing SQ Suites LHR-SIN-NRT for about 108k points each ..
If it matters I have 200k MR, 410k UR, and 302k AA that I plan on using.
On which programme are you planning on using SQ?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 1:39 am

Is this a serious question? It's apples to oranges. You are comparing an actual premium product to what is essentially passable as a mediocre business class on a good day. Spend the extra points and have an experience you'll remember. Being US-based it won't exactly be difficult for you to accrue more miles to make up for what you're spending. This is a no brainer, imo.

Edit: re your first question.

Last edited by Phaze; Aug 20, 2015 at 5:36 am
Old Aug 20, 2015, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
On which programme are you planning on using SQ?
I'll be using all my MR and the rest UR. I'm planning on closing my gold card if they can't give a decent retention.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by OnTheRocks
My question is the LHR - NRT leg. I have the option of doing SQ Suites LHR-SIN-NRT for about 108k points each or I have the option of doing BA F on a 777 for only 70k AA points each, both award have identical surcharges around $500 ea. Is the SQ suites worth the extra 38k points each person?
Flown NRT-LHR three times in the last year (when flying from CNS to LHR it just happens NRT is a convenient routing) - the BA product is OK for that direction since it's a daytime flight (enjoyable but no great food, fair hard product, always good service) and lands in LHR at a convenient time, but I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to do it on an overnight LHR-NRT if I could be on a prestige carrier.

Flew on SQ A380 Suites for the first time (FRA-SIN) a couple of weeks ago and was blown away by the experience - best food (book the chef before you fly) and best service I can ever recall, and pipped my previous favourites of Emirates (A380) and Cathay (777) F products. I haven't tried Etihad. The SQ Private Room for F passengers is relaxed and well equipped at SIN airport.

Another option for the direct routing is to check for availability on JAL from LHR-NRT: that could be viewed as ranking above BA but maybe not at SQ level (opinions may concur or differ).

You check for JAL availability on the BA website on day-by-day basis.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
JAL is an excellent F service. No enclosed suites like SQ but the software is first rate.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
If you can do it, would do JAL F (we preferred to Cathay). However, if only available flights are BA or SQ, would definitely pay the extra for SQ.

QR J has more space than BA F, so you could save your miles and taxes if you can get them, especially on 787 route.

If you want to visit elsewhere in Europe, you will save quite a lot on tax if you do not leave London in premium class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.