Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Deteriorating quality of service with SQ's Y... anybody

Deteriorating quality of service with SQ's Y... anybody

Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:20 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by ycp81
- Glass wineglasses changed to cheap looking plastic ones. (Original Y wineglasses will be used in Premium Y instead)
Not a problem, it matches the wine quality .

I'd be happy to trade off plastic wine glasses with better quality wine though. Wishful thinking.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:30 am

In recent memory i can recall having Magnum (ex Frankfurt) and Haagen Daaz (ex Hong Kong) ice-creams.

In terms of service quality, i have never had to make any complaints about the level of service. The most endearing thing about flying on SQ is hearing the work chatter between the stewards/stewardesses in Chinese/Singlish. Sometimes I wonder if the professionalism is diminished a bit when they code switch over to Singlish and is overheard by non-Singaporean passengers, but it is a bit heartwarming to hear Singlish after a tiring work trip or long holiday where you are a bit homesick.

Handling a lot of Y passengers can sometimes mean some lapses in service, but most lapses are trivial, and we shouldnt forget the crew is human. On a recent 12 hour Frankfurt-SG flight, i noticed a passenger did not get his preferred meal choice for his first meal as it had ran out, and a stewardess assured him that he will get his choice for the second meal (breakfast). This shows SQ still emphasise on the little touches to make a flight journey bearable and memorable.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Do all of you know that Haagen Daaz has trans fats? I have never seen so many people who are obsessed about ice cream.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by phelansg
Handling a lot of Y passengers can sometimes mean some lapses in service, but most lapses are trivial, and we shouldnt forget the crew is human.
Unfortunately on SQ full Y means generally lapses in service. They are profesionals which are expected to handle such situation with a smile (they are trained for that).
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Do all of you know that Haagen Daaz has trans fats? I have never seen so many people who are obsessed about ice cream.
It's a product using cheap ingredients and selling for a high price. Magnum is no difference. Cashcow for the Manufacturer.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by SQ325
The Haagen Dasz Icecream is a legend of the past. Not sure when it disapeared but its long, long time ago (>10 years).
HKG-SIN 2 weeks ago had plenty. Also some nice Dulce de Leche ex-LHR. Seriously though, people care about ice-cream? Strange folk...
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
It's a product using cheap ingredients and selling for a high price. Magnum is no difference. Cashcow for the Manufacturer.
Exactement!!
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Phaze
HKG-SIN 2 weeks ago had plenty. Also some nice Dulce de Leche ex-LHR. Seriously though, people care about ice-cream? Strange folk...
Obviously I have not been flying to/from HKG for a while. Have not seen Haagen Dasz for ages on SQ
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:26 pm

SQ Y service is pretty bad compared to the competition nowadays.

Flew Y from RGN to SIN.
- Seats were tight, legspace wise, less legspace than other airlines like OZ/KE.
- IFE was non-avod
- Service with no smiles, seriously, didnt see a single smile, even during deplaning.
- Took over an hour, after meal service was complete, to clear the trays which were just sitting at our seats. (even UA did it much quicker)

OZ/KE are miles ahead of SQ Y nowadays.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by HawaiiO

Flew Y from RGN to SIN.
- Seats were tight, legspace wise, less legspace than other airlines like OZ/KE.
- IFE was non-avod
- Service with no smiles, seriously, didnt see a single smile, even during deplaning.
- Took over an hour, after meal service was complete, to clear the trays which were just sitting at our seats. (even UA did it much quicker)

The very last plane with non-avod IFE has retired.

Anyway, they are using an A330 for RGN route.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:15 am

Programs: BW Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, M&C Gold
Originally Posted by HawaiiO

Flew Y from RGN to SIN.
- IFE was non-avod

But do OZ and KE fly RGN ???
Old Aug 5, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by invisible
I've been told during last three month by five (!) different people that quality of service on medium range and long haul SQ's flights in Y has significantly deteriorated over the course of last two years. Observed signs included:

- degradation of quality of food. People got sick. Plus instead of haagen-das ice cream now people are served Walls - yes, those ones which you buy from ice cream uncle for $1.20.

- non-working IFEs.

- Non-smiling FAs with very robotic movements.

Yet prices for tickets remain 2x-3x of competitors.

Once again, I am just repeating what I was told and would like to check if the public who flies SQ regularly have observed the same.

Thank you.
The walls that sq served as far as i know is magnum. This is not $1.20 if you refer $ as SGD
Old Aug 5, 2015, 5:44 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
A matter of perspective. The things you listed: insignificant.
Significant change would be: Remove IFE, add additional seats, decrease legroom....

The Haagen Dasz Icecream is a legend of the past. Not sure when it disapeared but its long, long time ago (>10 years).
The selection is varying (Could be Walls, Magnum for instances comes relatively regular in the past 6 month) and one sector in a return-itenary is usually served with icecream.

Crews in Y, IMHO, have always been a mixed bucket ove the many years iam flying with SQ, its an up and down. Longhaul tends to be better.

IFE, yes sometimes it needs a "push", if it happens it usually effects an individual screen and after some reboot its usually fine. I dont see that its recently happening more often than before.

Yes, SQ is not cheap in comparision, but the 2 to 3 times figure is by far exaggerated.
They still served haagen daz on sin -tpe 3-4 years ago. But of course they keep changing the brand
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by orionmiz
The very last plane with non-avod IFE has retired.
When? Any source?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 2:32 am

When? Any source?
The very last fleet with non-AVOD IFE is 9V-SRH. (The remaining planes with retro seats have AVOD IFE with smaller screen).

You can read everything here. Think the retirement is around Nov 2014 to Jan 2015.
http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6799

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.