Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Suites service - better in which direction?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer PPS Club, BA Silver, Marriott Gold

Hi all,

Redeeming Krisflyer miles for Suites. I'm based in LAX so my question is:

In terms of service and catering, would you recommend flying LAX to SIN or Sin to LAX?

I understand that westbound flights are usually longer so better bang-for-the-mile in that direction; however, it seems like catering and crews out of SIN are better. I'm leaning towards SIN-LAX at this point.

Will be good to hear from some Flyertalkers.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
SIN->LAX will also allow you to access the Private Room at SIN
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by chandu2013
I understand that westbound flights are usually longer so better bang-for-the-mile in that direction; however, it seems like catering and crews out of SIN are better. I'm leaning towards SIN-LAX at this point.
Well it's the same crew ex-SIN (to LAX) as ex-LAX. So I don't think crew quality is really a factor.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:16 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Hi all,

Redeeming Krisflyer miles for Suites. I'm based in LAX so my question is:

In terms of service and catering, would you recommend flying LAX to SIN or Sin to LAX?

Will be good to hear from some Flyertalkers.
I'm not certain about the service, but I know that flying from SIN to LAX, on top of the TPR you will have a far greater variety from book the cook.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:45 am

As mentioned, out of SIN, u can use private room.

But NRT-LAX can be very short.
The flight i was on, was only about 8.5 hrs.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN, CX Gold, SPG Plat
I redeemed miles last year for SIN-NRT-LAX. On the SIN-NRT leg, I flew the infamous SQ638. To be avoided at all costs (or, don't burn miles for F, Y or J will do), it's a redeye sleeper service, i.e. no caviar, no satay, only breakfast (lucky I BTC-ed).
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Durian
I redeemed miles last year for SIN-NRT-LAX. On the SIN-NRT leg, I flew the infamous SQ638. To be avoided at all costs (or, don't burn miles for F, Y or J will do), it's a redeye sleeper service, i.e. no caviar, no satay, only breakfast (lucky I BTC-ed).
Are you seriously suggesting that you would prefer to fly J or Y(?!) on this overnight flight rather than F, just because it's a redeye sleeper service with no caviar and no satay?

I can't even bring myself to devote time and effort giving reasons why F is better than Y, but even in comparison to J:

Do you not get to sit on the bigger seat/suite and have significantly more space, including a much better bed with less restrictions around the head and legs? (and this is just the 77W - the A380 is Suites so end of story, period)

Do they not allow you to access the TPR where the food is good enough to enjoy a proper pre-flight dinner (not to mention miles ahead of SKL J) and maximise sleep time onboard?

J might well be "good enough", but to suggest that SQ638 is "to be avoided at all cost" is bewildering to me. Especially as it gets an A380 for half of the year and therefore Suites.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I agree with others here that accessing The Private Room weighs in favor of flying SIN-LAX rather than vice versa. In fact, if your schedule permits and you've never spent time in the airport itself before, I'd recommend getting there early and, after a meal and/or some bubbly in TPR, leaving your bags at TPR and wandering around the airport a bit. It's got some fun spots, especially its Butterfly Garden.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I agree with others here that accessing The Private Room weighs in favor of flying SIN-LAX rather than vice versa. In fact, if your schedule permits and you've never spent time in the airport itself before, I'd recommend getting there early and, after a meal and/or some bubbly in TPR, leaving your bags at TPR and wandering around the airport a bit. It's got some fun spots, especially its Butterfly Garden.
TPR wouldn't let me leave my bags there whilst I wandered around the airport. I had to lug it all with me
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer PPS Club, BA Silver, Marriott Gold
Thanks all! Looks like I'll be booking SIN-LAX.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
TPR wouldn't let me leave my bags there whilst I wandered around the airport. I had to lug it all with me
Hmmm...I thought we'd left ours at the TPR, but on second thought perhaps a left luggage facility instead.

Thanks all! Looks like I'll be booking SIN-LAX.
Enjoy!
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CX MPO DM
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Hmmm...I thought we'd left ours at the TPR, but on second thought perhaps a left luggage facility instead.

Enjoy!
Agree with Thunderroad. Lounge staff said they did not offer storage facility.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
Considering a trip in near future. Which route is better in F Suites?

SIN-FRA-JFK (Leaves SIN at 11:55 pm)
SIN-NRT-LAX (Leaves SIN at 09:20 am)
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by aglp2k
Considering a trip in near future. Which route is better in F Suites?

SIN-FRA-JFK (Leaves SIN at 11:55 pm)
SIN-NRT-LAX (Leaves SIN at 09:20 am)
Hihi, if you are into Japanese food, I will recommend to choose the 2nd option. However, I feel that Option 1 by flying westwards will enable you to cope jet-lag better.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sfoactuary
SIN->LAX will also allow you to access the Private Room at SIN
Not only TPR but also the private check in lounge at SIN, including their dedicated passport control line that leads into T3 close to the lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.