Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with LAX -> SYD Award

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Help with LAX -> SYD Award

I am looking at booking an LAX to SYD award with a 2 day stopover in NRT. My understanding is that the NRT stopover will be $100 and requires booking over the phone as it is a one-way. However, my question lies in the SIN to SYD segment. If I look at availability for each leg LAX->NRT, NRT->SIN and SIN->SYD on SIN's website, they all show as available in Business. However, if I try to search the availability as a trip with stopovers, the LAX->NRT shows as available, but the NRT->SIN->SYD shows as waitlisted even the same individual legs show as available when not searching as a stopover. If I call in to book this, will they allow me to "marry" the segments and still only pay 85k (100k - 15% discount) since online is not showing this booking as available?

I suppose another option would be to book the LAX to SYD online and then call in to add my stopover in NRT?

Last edited by bmrisko; Jun 15, 2015 at 8:10 am
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:09 am

Call in and they'll book it for you. They will also give you the 15% discount because it could not be booked online. And yes you can pay $100 for a stopover in Tokyo.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry, Hertz 5*
Talking

Originally Posted by bmrisko
I am looking at booking an LAX to SYD award with a 2 day stopover in NRT. My understanding is that the NRT stopover will be $100 and requires booking over the phone as it is a one-way. However, my question lies in the SIN to SYD segment. If I look at availability for each leg LAX->NRT, NRT->SIN and SIN->SYD on SIN's website, they all show as available in Business. However, if I try to search the availability as a trip with stopovers, the LAX->NRT shows as available, but the NRT->SIN->SYD shows as waitlisted even the same individual legs show as available when not searching as a stopover. If I call in to book this, will they allow me to "marry" the segments and still only pay 85k (100k - 15% discount) since online is not showing this booking as available?

I suppose another option would be to book the LAX to SYD online and then call in to add my stopover in NRT?
Good luck - about how many miles (KF) did this booking cost you? Just curious..

-AD
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by airbornedaddy
Good luck - about how many miles (KF) did this booking cost you? Just curious..

-AD
You can satisfy your curiosity by looking at the SQ award chart my friend.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Merlinrnr
Call in and they'll book it for you. They will also give you the 15% discount because it could not be booked online. And yes you can pay $100 for a stopover in Tokyo.

bmrisko - Can you please report back if this is how it worked out for you? I am in a similar situation LAX-SIN-JNB. I want to use an award - but the SIN-JNB leg is not offered in Suites/First (only business) - and I want Suites/First on the LAX-SIN leg. I would also like a stopover in SIN. Before I call, I'd like to know how it worked for you. Thanks

I did notice that there is an available (free) option for a 23 hour layover in Tokyo, and I'm thinking about booking that as part of this award, as well. Only 'issue' is it arrives at NRT - departs 23 hours later at HND.

Last edited by Chancensam; Jun 17, 2015 at 9:04 am Reason: grammar
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
If you're going top spend 23 hours in Tokyo it won't be at Narita. If you go into Tokyo flying out of Haneda is much closer so this should not be an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.