Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bag transfer on separate ticket

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 3:16 am

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
I checked bags SQ > OZ for an itinerary SIN-BKK-ICN_HNL last month with no issues at all.

This is basic stuff and when you reach the check in counter I would be suprised if you have a problem doing this.

As others have said, just check to make sure the bag is tagged correctly. As the transfer will be done in SIN I doubt there will be any issue, as long as its correctly tagged. The only time I have had problems before is if the check in agent forgets that due to flight times and timezone changes the onward flight is actually a different date and they try and tag the bag to a flight that left 24 hours earlier, so its worth checking the correct dates are listed for the onward flights.
Old May 22, 2015, 3:35 am

Programs: UA/Premier 1K, Bonvoy/Titanium
Bag transfer on separate ticket

Through checked SQ to OZ via HKG, originating from SIN bound for ICN in Jan 2014. No issues.
Old May 24, 2015, 4:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thank you all for the reply and suggestions. I will try to talk to the agent during IST check-in. If it does not work, I will try to do it in SIN. Does SQ allow short check-in for short connection like this? I know some airlines prohibit that.
Old May 24, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by cwl6750084
Does SQ allow short check-in for short connection like this? I know some airlines prohibit that.
At Changi, 4.5hrs is not a short connection! At most 30 mins after landing to collect your bags. Checkin of bags closes 40mins before departure .... That gives you 3hrs to get from arrivals to departures! They should be ok with this unless flight running really late!
Old May 25, 2015, 10:43 pm

Quite a different set of circumstances, but one data point just for reference. I just did SQ638/SQ12 SIN-NRT-LAX in F/Suites. I also had a VX economy flight LAX-LAS bought separately. At the first class checkin in SIN, SQ was able to check me in and issue boarding passes for all 3 flights, plus check through my luggage all the way to LAS. Of course, at LAX I had to collect my luggage and then put them on the connecting flights counter, but didn't have to drag them from TBIT to T3.
Old May 26, 2015, 4:58 am

Not sure why the OP is being told that by the phone staff. I've checked through bags to other carriers after transiting at SIN on a SQ-SQ flight then onto carriers like OZ, NH and even with non *A partners like CX or QR just as recently as 2 weeks ago.

All you need is the 2nd ticket details on paper so that the check-in staff can tag your bag through to the destination on the correct flights (there's a maximum of 4 sectors though for check-through), even if SQ cannot issue boarding passes for the sectors on the 2nd ticket.

If there is a international/domestic connection, it might be a different story but that doesn't seem to be the case here...
Old May 26, 2015, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lokijuh
I think you will be OK. Just present your OZ itinerary at IST. If they can't through check, instead ask to be short-checked to SIN.
This is the correct approach. If they do check through from IST, be sure to follow up at the transfer desk at SIN.
Old May 28, 2015, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Thanks for ask the information. I called SQ IST office again, they insisted that they do not have interline agreement with Asiana. Short checking the bags probably is the way to do. I wonder if anyone have experience with SQ tag bags through OZ at SIN? Is the immigration at SIN busy during the hood SQ 391 arrives? Thanks.
Thank you all for the reply and suggestions. I will try to talk to the agent during IST check-in. If it does not work, I will try to do it in SIN. Does SQ allow short check-in for short connection like this? I know some airlines prohibit that.
As a Flyertalk member, you should know by now to ALWAYS check this forum and find this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...-airlines.html instead of calling the airline.

The airport personnel especially the Station manager would certainly know of this procedure. Even if staffed by TK staff, they would know. I have a feeling that you got to SQ's infamous and hopeless phone agents in India who literally know nothing. Still airline check in staff would know more than most phone agents on what to do as your case would not be the only person doing this.

SQ has a very good reputation in checking through baggage if you can present them with the connecting flight information. This goes not only for *A members of which OZ is , but also to other airlines such as OW or ST. The only airlines that do not interline are mostly LCCs and at certain airports when overnighting such as LHR and US gateways of which SQ has no control on.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; May 28, 2015 at 2:45 am
Old May 30, 2015, 10:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks for all suggestions. I called the airlines to confirm that because some airlines do not interline bags on separate itinerary. And sometimes, mostly out of DXB, the agent refused to do so regardless. I have been having experience with SQ to non *A carriers inn the past, but not sure if they still don't from ME. The agent asy DOH refused to tag my bag from E() to LX citing security requirement even I had done it with them numerous times before.

But thank you again for your suggestions.
Old May 31, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: SQ/CX
Hi, sorry to hijack thread, but I have the same question but on a different airline.

I'm arriving SFO on SQ16 @ 1115
connecting to YVR on AC Rogue @ 1710

Both bookings on SQ & AC on different PNRs

I have checked SQ web on Interlining airlines, but nothing mentioned about AC Rogue. They both carry the same IATA code "AC"

Any idea if I could checked my baggage all the way to YVR from SIN ?
TIA
Old May 31, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by koohansen
Hi, sorry to hijack thread, but I have the same question but on a different airline.

I'm arriving SFO on SQ16 @ 1115
connecting to YVR on AC Rogue @ 1710

Both bookings on SQ & AC on different PNRs

I have checked SQ web on Interlining airlines, but nothing mentioned about AC Rogue. They both carry the same IATA code "AC"

Any idea if I could checked my baggage all the way to YVR from SIN ?
TIA
It should not be an issue imo, not like Silkair and Singaporeair which has an iata code of MI / SQ.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
I have gotten off the phone with OZ staff in SIN office and was told that the minimum connection time is 60min for international to international transfer at ICN airport.

I have booked 2 separate ticket from SIN to ICN to NRT. The SQ flight arrives at ICN at 0735hr while OZ flight departs ICN at 0900hr, I will be travelling in J class with one check-in luggage. Can I check on the following:

- Is 85min doable for transfer at ICN airport?
- Is it confirmed that I can check-in my luggage from SIN to NRT via ICN? OZ SIN staff told me that I need to check with SIA staff.

Thanks for sharing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.