Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Need to get to istanbul and back from athens

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver

I am looking to travel the end of next month and I am looking to avoid fuel surcharges if possible or at least really minimize them. I want to fly on a nice business or first class product. Ideally I wanted to use my AA miles (I have enough for round trip first but not seeing many decent options for that redemption). I also have about 200k UR points saved up and see I can move them to Singapore and have heard good things about their suites.

I am based in NYC. In an ideal world I would fly into Istanbul spend a few days there. I will take a cheap flight over to athens spend a week in greece and then fly back from there. Are any of these flights either way viable and would the cost in miles be massively expensive? By looking at the chart it seems like first class from NY to frankfurt, germany is much cheaper. I only mention this because I am meeting my travel partner in Istanbul, but I believe she will be in Frankfurt on business immediately prior. If it made financial sense I could fly in to frankfurt and then take a cheap economy flight to istanbul. Any advice would be appreciated as it is my first time trying to use my miles.
Old May 20, 2015, 1:50 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by Red259
I am looking to travel the end of next month and I am looking to avoid fuel surcharges if possible or at least really minimize them. I want to fly on a nice business or first class product. Ideally I wanted to use my AA miles (I have enough for round trip first but not seeing many decent options for that redemption). I also have about 200k UR points saved up and see I can move them to Singapore and have heard good things about their suites.

I am based in NYC. In an ideal world I would fly into Istanbul spend a few days there. I will take a cheap flight over to athens spend a week in greece and then fly back from there. Are any of these flights either way viable and would the cost in miles be massively expensive? By looking at the chart it seems like first class from NY to frankfurt, germany is much cheaper. I only mention this because I am meeting my travel partner in Istanbul, but I believe she will be in Frankfurt on business immediately prior. If it made financial sense I could fly in to frankfurt and then take a cheap economy flight to istanbul. Any advice would be appreciated as it is my first time trying to use my miles.
SQ is using 772 to IST, I do not think you will get good C class. TK may be better choices. The C seems a flat bed type. I did a peek on C cabin when I flew TK to IST
Old May 20, 2015, 1:00 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
I am not sure this even belongs here. But here goes:

I am looking to travel the end of next month and I am looking to avoid fuel surcharges if possible or at least really minimize them.
SQ has fuel surcharges and you can't minimize them if you are redeeming using KFM so you need to come to terms with this if you want to fly SQ using KFM.

I want to fly on a nice business or first class product. Ideally I wanted to use my AA miles (I have enough for round trip first but not seeing many decent options for that redemption). I also have about 200k UR points saved up and see I can move them to Singapore and have heard good things about their suites.
You can't redeem your AA miles on SQ.

They are viable, but SQ has never been known as a cheap redemption in my experience. I have no idea which chart you are looking at too so I can't comment.

If you want to fly SQ, try fly from JFK - FRA round trip on F/J (if they are available) and then look at the possibility of buying FRA - IST - ATH - FRA.

If you are open to flying using AA miles, you could redeem (NYC - IST) and (ATH - NYC) using your AA miles and buy a cheap ticket IST - ATH. I would suggest you look at trying to redeem Qatar F/J. Outbound on BA is a possibility just beware of the airport tax.
Old May 20, 2015, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
I am not sure this even belongs here. But here goes:

SQ has fuel surcharges and you can't minimize them if you are redeeming using KFM so you need to come to terms with this if you want to fly SQ using KFM.

You can't redeem your AA miles on SQ.

They are viable, but SQ has never been known as a cheap redemption in my experience. I have no idea which chart you are looking at too so I can't comment.

If you want to fly SQ, try fly from JFK - FRA round trip on F/J (if they are available) and then look at the possibility of buying FRA - IST - ATH - FRA.

If you are open to flying using AA miles, you could redeem (NYC - IST) and (ATH - NYC) using your AA miles and buy a cheap ticket IST - ATH. I would suggest you look at trying to redeem Qatar F/J. Outbound on BA is a possibility just beware of the airport tax.
Yes I know I can not use AA on SQ but I have URs. I checked Qatar and there do not seem to be any routes that run nyc to ist or athens back to nyc, which sucks because I hear good things about their biz class seats. My concern with BA is they will kill me with fuel surcharges and I could fly iberia in that situation, but I'm not necessarily excited about that product or about having to connect through madrid.
Old May 20, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: *A
Unlikely you'll find JFK-FRA suites availability for the end of next month.
Old May 20, 2015, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tennet1979
Unlikely you'll find JFK-FRA suites availability for the end of next month.
I see some available, but they are paid seats and I can't get it to show reward seats.
Old May 20, 2015, 11:32 pm

Yes I know I can not use AA on SQ but I have URs. I checked Qatar and there do not seem to be any routes that run nyc to ist or athens back to nyc, which sucks because I hear good things about their biz class seats. My concern with BA is they will kill me with fuel surcharges and I could fly iberia in that situation, but I'm not necessarily excited about that product or about having to connect through madrid.
Did you check QR connecting via DOH or did you check direct flights only?

It is not BA that is expensive, but of the airport tax out of LHR.

LHR - NYC is bad, but NYC - LHR is bearable imo.

I see some available, but they are paid seats and I can't get it to show reward seats.
unlike most carriers, SQ is often willing leave premier cabins empty.
Old May 20, 2015, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Did you check QR connecting via DOH or did you check direct flights only?

It is not BA that is expensive, but of the airport tax out of LHR.

LHR - NYC is bad, but NYC - LHR is bearable imo.

unlike most carriers, SQ is often willing leave premier cabins empty.
I was looking for direct flights. Connecting via DOH really tacks on the airtime I thought? I will double check it. I may be able to get to europe, but I need to come back the 4th of july weekend from greece and I'm not finding anything other than BA and its a real problem if I can't get back.
Old May 21, 2015, 2:10 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm still a bit puzzled by what exactly you are trying to do (e.g. fly NYC-IST and return ATH-JFK) and what you are trying to avoid (e.g. one-/two-stop flights)?

And you are considering SQ / KF in this equation because you are thinking of redeeming JFK-FRA and FRA-JFK on SQ Suites? Based on your initial query some posters may have thought you want to fly SIN-IST and ATH-SIN which I gather is not the case, but you are not really clear so it is hard to help you.

Now assuming for a moment that you want to get from NYC to IST and return from ATH to NYC on the most direct routings and in the most comfort then I think some of the other posters have already offered solid advise. Flying past IST on the way to DOH on QR and then coming back that way on DOH-IST may be a bit time consuming, but it would still be a 1-stop itinerary though connection time may add a fair bit. Similar for ATH-DOH-NYC.

Now when it comes to SQ your starting point would be to check on SQ Suites availability between JFK-FRA and FRA-JFK on your desired dates. If you have a KF account you can check and if not ask someone who does have an account to check. You do not need to have the miles in your account to check availability. You may have to be a bit flexible with your dates, but you'll see. If I was you I would also check J class (Biz) though it can be equally tough to find award space for that cabin.

Now if you want to get the most out of a possible SQ KF redemption you can consider booking just JFK-FRA and FRA-JFK individually online and get 15% off the redemption rates (e.g. of Saver rates). If you want the potential FRA-IST, IST-ATH and ATH-FRA to be included into your redemption then you can consider a Star Alliance award redemption via KF using KF miles.

For example (assuming availability) you could do JFK-FRA(SQ)-IST(TK/LH)-ATH(TK/A3)-FRA(A3/LH)-JFK(SQ).

Now of course such a redemption would not be eligible for SQ online booking and not get the 15% online booking mileage discount. You would have to call SQ and try to book over the phone. For a RT itinerary you should be allowed 1 stopover so say IST would be your stopover on the way to ATH (your turnaround point) and from ATH it is a straight return to JFK.

Of course, if you were to find SQ Suites available for JFK-FRA and FRA-JFK then it would be a Star Alliance F award (NA to Europe - F = 160K KF mls, J = 130K KF mls) with the FRA-IST-ATH-FRA segments likely in J (Biz) if available. You can find the SQ Partner award chart here if you want to use SQ KF miles as "currency": http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/pp...m-airpartners/

Of course, as others mentioned, the main challenge will be availability for the SQ flights. I don't know your inbound, but for your outbound from FRA-JFK I can tell you that both on Jul 2, 2015 and Jul 4, 2015 a seat in Suites (Saver award space - the lowest level / mileage cost which you also need for the Star Alliance partner award) is currently available though no guarantees that stays that way. Good luck.

Cheers ...

Last edited by demue; May 21, 2015 at 2:31 am
Old May 21, 2015, 8:37 am

I was looking for direct flights. Connecting via DOH really tacks on the airtime I thought? I will double check it. I may be able to get to europe, but I need to come back the 4th of july weekend from greece and I'm not finding anything other than BA and its a real problem if I can't get back.

Why am I not really surprised you looked for QR to fly NYC - IST / ATH direct.

QR you have to fly via DOH.

It is not really a problem, you just need to pony up and take BA or come back way before or after July 4.

No availability at all is a real problem. Are you aware that June / July is peak travel season for travel ex-US/EU?

Last edited by DHalltheway; May 21, 2015 at 8:55 am
Old May 21, 2015, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by demue
I'm still a bit puzzled by what exactly you are trying to do
From my understanding:

He is trying to get the most direct route and pay the least amount of taxes and fees (+ airfare if needed) to fly: NYC-IST-ATH-NYC.

-He would rather fly using his AA miles (Not SQ).
-However, since that is not an option he has found availability for: he is considering flying SQ Suites or any carrier that has a good F product
-He intends to use his Chase UR points to convert into SQ miles if SQ F is available (I myself am not sure if UR can be converted into SQ miles.).
-He also needs to arrive in NYC on July 4th.

Since he is new to mileage redemption, he doesn't understand what you can and can't do.
For example: he looked for NYC-IST direct on QR.

Last edited by DHalltheway; May 21, 2015 at 8:57 am
Old May 21, 2015, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

From my understanding:

He is trying to get the most direct route and pay the least amount of taxes and fees (+ airfare if needed) to fly: NYC-IST-ATH-NYC.

-He would rather fly using his AA miles (Not SQ).
-However, since that is not an option he has found availability for: he is considering flying SQ Suites or any carrier that has a good F product
-He intends to use his Chase UR points to convert into SQ miles if SQ F is available (I myself am not sure if UR can be converted into SQ miles.).
-He also needs to arrive in NYC on July 4th.

Since he is new to mileage redemption, he doesn't understand what you can and can't do.
For example: he looked for NYC-IST direct on QR.
This is all correct except I have until 7/5 to land back in NYC.
Old May 21, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Dear fellow FTers,

The OP has posted this questions in multiple forums. Cross-posting is not allowed by the FT rules. Please do not post in this thread anymore and instead follow (and contribute to) the discussion in the *A forum thread.

Have a nice day

totti
Moderator M&M forum
Old May 21, 2015, 11:29 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by totti
Dear fellow FTers,

The OP has posted this questions in multiple forums. Cross-posting is not allowed by the FT rules. Please do not post in this thread anymore and instead follow (and contribute to) the discussion in the *A forum thread.

Have a nice day

totti
Moderator M&M forum
I am closing this thread.

cxfan1960
SQ Mod

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.