Best way for European to earn KF miles?

Old May 16, 2015, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Best way for European to earn KF miles?

Hi guys,

I'm based in Scandinavia and really eager to try the Singapore Airlines Suites one day.

I don't plan to fly to Singapore on economy any time soon, so I'm basically wondering what options I have for earning KrisFlyer miles when I will rarely, if ever, fly Singapore Air?

I understand SPG is one way to go, since they have a 1:1 ratio when transferring SPG to KF.

Unfortunately I have put my loyalty in IHG and Hilton thus far, where I have about 100.000 points with each program.

Getting enough SPG points (current balance: zero!) for a one way suites experience will take some time.

I also have a small amount of points with Hawaiian and NZ Air.

I know that there's various credit card sign up bonuses and whatnot to easily collect a lot of points, but those credit card deals are not available to folks outside the US.

So.. any advice on how to get a good chunk of SPG or KF points?

Thanks!
Old May 17, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: *A
Amex is the obvious one, assuming it's offered in your country. They are 1:1 transfer partners with KrisFlyer. There's also a thread in here somewhere about crediting Swiss miles to KrisFlyer, given they are in Star Alliance.

Google HHonors KrisFlyer (apologies as I don't have the links to hand and can't access the internet properly at the moment) and you'll see you can double dip miles and points plus various other promotions from time to time. Think HHonors also allow conversion of their points to KrisFlyer at some silly ratio. Don't quote me on that though, as I gave up on HHonors years ago when they made them worthless.

Last edited by Tennet1979; May 18, 2015 at 10:23 am Reason: Typo
Old May 17, 2015, 11:05 am

I am based in NL and my Amex here has a conversion rate of 5:4 (5 MR for 4 KF miles), hopefully you have a better conversion rate there
Old May 17, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Conversion rates for all other partners: Exchange HHonors Points for Airline Miles
HHonors Points for Airline Miles
10,000 -> 1,000
Exchange in increments of 10,000 points.
http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/...es.do#exchange

Singapore Airlines – 2,000 miles
10,000 points
ItemID: YASIA

KrisFlyer is Singapore Airlines' frequent flyer program. Members can redeem their miles for award flights on over 25 world-class airlines to more than 1,000 destinations in 170 countries. Their miles can also be redeemed for flight upgrades on Singapore Airlines and SilkAir, Singapore Airlines' regional carrier. Miles can also be accrued through transactions with KrisFlyer partners, among which are world-class airlines, hotels/serviced apartments and credit/charge card companies.

Please contact your regional IHG Rewards Club Customer Care to redeem this reward.

When would it be delivered?
Please allow 4-6 week(s) for the receipt of your reward.

Merchant Disclaimer
http://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/glob...-rewards/miles

If you don't mind the suite experience being a shorter one (6-8 hours) look into flying SIN-NRT or SIN-SYD.

It is easier for you to book those than earn enough points for a long haul.

Last edited by DHalltheway; May 17, 2015 at 12:32 pm
Old May 17, 2015, 9:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by Tennet1979
Think HHonors also allow conversion of their points to KrisFlyer at some silly ratio.
I can vouch for this. It's a 10:1 ratio (HHonors:KrisFlyer). I did a 30k --> 3k 'redemption' a while back before finding flyertalk and all the frequent flyer blogs.
Old May 18, 2015, 3:31 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by Tennet1979
Amex is the obvious one, assuming it's offered in your country. They are a 1:1 transfer partners with KrisFlyer.
I think the ratio would depend on the country of issue.

For Singapore-issued Amex cards, most of the FFP transfer (including KF) is 9 Membership Rewards to 5 KrisFlyer Miles.
Old May 18, 2015, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips, guys
Old May 20, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
SPG points purchase promotions as useful to increase the points balance - you cna transfer to or from family members for free so if you rope in a couple of people can add up.

You could also purchase points/miles from other airlines to redeem on SQ.
Old May 21, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Do remember to take in consideration that redeeming premium cabin awards on SQ is better if you have Krisflyer Miles (more availability). Using partner miles maybe limited.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.