Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Swissair miles to Krisflyer

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2015, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Swissair miles to Krisflyer

If you fly on Swissair, how does the miles get converted to Krisflyer miles? Is it by distance?

The mileage calculator on the Swissair website is rather confusing. It seems to suggest a flight from Singapore to Zurich only gets 17 miles? Did I read this incorrectly?

Thank you for your advice
Old May 12, 2015, 5:30 am

On flights operated by *A airlines you need to look up the earnings for the booking class here:

http://www.singaporeair.com/pdf/ppsc...FOALLevels.pdf

For Swiss:
First A,F - 150%, Business C,D,J,Z 125%, P 100%, Economy B,G,H,M,Y 100%, E,Q,S,T,V,W 50%, all other classes like L or K do not earn miles on Krisflyer

The distance should be around 6400 miles, so do the math.

Be careful with code shares... they will not map 1:1 from the code share booking class to the booking class on the operating carrier.
Old May 13, 2015, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Thank you. This is very helpful. On the Swissair website, all the classes seem to get only 50%. Is there a way I can ask for one of the classes that give 100%?

Also, you mentioned that code shares do not map 1:1 etc. Could you elaborate on that? I'm not very clear on that. Thanks again.
Old May 13, 2015, 6:44 am
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
To the OP, I'm afraid Swissair went bankrupt in 2002
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swissair
Old May 13, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by Seattle1
Thank you. This is very helpful. On the Swissair website, all the classes seem to get only 50%. Is there a way I can ask for one of the classes that give 100%?
I'm not sure about that, you may try calling in to their reservations office or book via a travel agency that will give you a 100% mileage fare. Take note the mileage accrual is always referring to it's own FFP.

Originally Posted by Seattle1
Also, you mentioned that code shares do not map 1:1 etc. Could you elaborate on that? I'm not very clear on that. Thanks again.
For Star Alliance airlines, the Operating carrier is the one that you will earn mileage on. For One World airlines, it is the marketing carrier.

For example if you book a flight on SWISS (Marketing carrier) but it was operated by Singapore Airlines (Operating carrier), the fare code purchased on SWISS may not be the same fare code as Singapore Airlines. When you credit miles to your preferred FFP, it will not credit based on the mileage accrual level of the fare code of SWISS but will be by the fare code of Singapore Airlines. Unfortunately this information regarding the mapping of fare code between 2 airlines is not publicly available. You can probably call SWISS and see if they know or release this information to you.

This is my understanding thus far. Someone do correct me if any information is incorrect, thanks.
Old May 13, 2015, 10:03 am

Yes, that is the correct explanation. For SIN - ZRH it shouldn't ne a problem as I don't think LX and SQ codeshare on their direct flights here.

In any case if you book a flight on e.g. Swiss and it says operated by Sinqapour (or any carrier not being Swiss) you booked 100% mileage fare could turn out to be a 0 mileage trip...

On the Swiss booking site you can not buy up in higher booking classes. They will always offer you the cheapest option available.

Call the Swiss ticketing office and ask them for a price tag on a 100% earning booking class.
Old May 16, 2015, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your advice. I see it isn't so simple
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:15 am

Instantaneous Krisflyer miles claim process through booking with Expedia

Just to share that it is more tedious to claim missing Krisflyer miles retrospectively for direct booking with Star Alliance airlines, e.g. Lufthansa and Swiss Air although the Krisflyer membership number was provided to the partner airlines during the bookings. When claiming the missing miles in Krisflyer account, it was rejected due to booking class in Swiss Air is not eligible for miles claim and I have to write in to Krisflyer customer service to check further and enquire why the miles earned was not captured automatically after taking the flight and have to go through troublesome and time consuming processes.

It is proven that booking of flights with Star Alliance airlines through a third party online booking platform will save the above-mentioned trouble and regardless of issue on different booking class with the Star Alliance airlines. I had booked a short flight from DKK to ZRH with Swiss Air through a third party online booking platform, Expedia in last year's May and the miles was credited to my Krisflyer account immediately after the flight. Recently I have alos booked return flight for my sister to ZRH through Expedia due to lower price compared to direct booking with Singapore Air and Swiss Air. Guess what? My sister received the miles earned immediately after her trip even she has the same booking class for her in-flight from SIN to ZRH.

If this is the case, wouldn't it be hassle-free and wonderful to book flights with Star Alliance Airlines through a third party booking platform while I still pay the same or cheaper fare as a traveler?

Cheers.

Last edited by cxfan1960; Jun 3, 2019 at 8:40 am Reason: Removed quote mixed with post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.