Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

How to figure Fuel Surcharges on UA or LH from US to Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2015, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

I have been looking a variety of threads here but have not been able to figure out how to determine what the actual surcharge amounts are. I frequently fly Omaha-Hanover (OMA-HAJ). Using Krisflyer miles is an interesting new option for me. I am interesting in economy mostly as I will be flying a number of family members back and forth next year. I found that Krisflyer charges around $200 one way using a SQ flight (when looking for ORD-FRA). Lufthansa using Miles and More miles charges even more sometimes. United changes no fuel surcharge. Is there a way to check how much Krisflyer actually charges when booking a UA or LH flight without actually having any Krisflyer miles yet?

If not, can I get some data points for econ tickets, please?
Old May 10, 2015, 12:26 am

Programs: UA/Premier 1K, Bonvoy/Titanium
Your fuel surcharges will depend on the flights you select which are also highly dependent on award availability during or around the dates you wish to fly.

If you go to matrix.itasoftware.com and plug in the flights (click "Advanced Routing Codes" and put in your flight numbers, also choose "business class or higher" if its telling you no flights available") you'll be able to determine the taxes/fuel surcharges you will be charged.

Take the total fare and minus off the base fare for both directions and that should give you the YQ/YR+Taxes which Krisflyer will charge you.

Separately, SQ doesn't have a flight from ORD-FRA- they only fly JFK-FRA. If you called in to inquire about taxes for your itinerary, a large part of the ~$200 is likely the fuel surcharge+taxes for the JFK-FRA leg since you'll only be liable a small amount of airport taxes for the ORD-JFK domestic.
Old May 17, 2015, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kohswisscheese
Take the total fare and minus off the base fare for both directions and that should give you the YQ/YR+Taxes which Krisflyer will charge you.
Sorry for the late response. I had not realized some answered. Thank you. This worked perfectly. I priced a random RT flight in November and on a $1400, I am getting roughly $500 as the YQ, $200 in other taxes and ~$700 as the actual base fare.

My total cost would be 55k miles and another $700 or so in taxes for an econ ticket. I think this rules booking in Economy out for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.