Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to Bali in Suites?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.

Looking for May 2016... what would be the best routes on an a380 (most of the way) to get to Bali. Would be trying to get two Suite awards per flight...

Any direction would be appreciated
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
FYI, SQ A380s only operate to the following destinations ex-SIN. Do correct me if I'm wrong though, thanks.

EUROPE
LHR
CDG
ZRH
FRA

AUSTRALIA
SYD

ASIA
HKG
NRT
PVG
DEL
BOM
PEK

NORTH AMERICA
LAX
JFK

OCEANIA
AKL

Last edited by lcpteck; Jan 20, 2015 at 10:02 pm Reason: A380 ROUTES
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lcpteck
FYI, SQ A380s only operate to the following destinations ex-SIN. Do correct me if I'm wrong though, thanks.

EUROPE
LHR
CDG
ZRH
FRA

AUSTRALIA
SYD

ASIA
HKG
NRT
PVG
DEL
BOM
PEK

NORTH AMERICA
LAX
JFK

OCEANIA
AKL
Nope you're correct, I know my flight to Bali won't be an A380... but at least my flight into the region I am trying to make an A380. USA based
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:33 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Okay, I do hear in the forum that the SIN-FRA-JFK routes are the hardest to redeem in Suites though. Guess it's too popular and seems to be the longest duration of any A380 routes, maybe that is why.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:47 pm

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold

I got onto it twice using points.
LAX too (twice)
All for the full length of the journey.
All for pair of seats.

But Wait list is required in all cases.

Note that clearance may depend on status and they may review your travel patterns too. I notice that my waitlists only clear after sending manual chasers. Such requests are reviewed manually.

For some waitlists I tried and not so interested in, I dont call and sometimes they do clear but only in the last 7-14 days.

I think OP is better off looking into ZRH and CDG where Suites are readily available.

I hope OP is aware that Suites are only redeemable with SQ miles.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 4:37 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Still a few months to go before you can book the flight, and with the flight a year after that who knows what SQ might do with the timetable, although presumably A380 flights from JFK and LAX are now a permanent feature of the timetable.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 4:53 am

I think OP will be transferring miles in. So may be need to prepare in advance to manufacture spending etc.

I am also already preparing how to make it possible to fly Etihad apartments for next Feb 2016 since last year... the early planning will inform me how to spend and using what card. no guarantee they will still fly it 3x a day on that route. But I still look forward to it.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQueeze
I think OP will be transferring miles in. So may be need to prepare in advance to manufacture spending etc.

I am also already preparing how to make it possible to fly Etihad apartments for next Feb 2016 since last year... the early planning will inform me how to spend and using what card. no guarantee they will still fly it 3x a day on that route. But I still look forward to it.
One of the lovely perks of my company is the high credit card and shopping portal spend we incur year round (around 3m). So yes this would be done on points, and while I have high balances, obviously saver award is the way to go

You trying to do LHR-AUH? Im looking to book an a380 to SYD to take my girlfriend for a couple weeks, but with her in college its hard
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Still a few months to go before you can book the flight, and with the flight a year after that who knows what SQ might do with the timetable, although presumably A380 flights from JFK and LAX are now a permanent feature of the timetable.
Where does the LAX flight go? Narita? Then I would do Narita to Bali?

Trying to figure out the routes I should be searching for in KVS when the calendar opens up

Anyone here done Bali in may?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck

EUROPE
LHR
CDG
ZRH
FRA

AUSTRALIA
SYD

ASIA
HKG
NRT
PVG
DEL
BOM
PEK

NORTH AMERICA
LAX
JFK

OCEANIA
AKL
Is MEL not an A380 destination any more ?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Westin.
Where does the LAX flight go? Narita? Then I would do Narita to Bali? ....Anyone here done Bali in may?
Yes it travels LAX-NRT-SIN (as one flight number) so you ideally it would be suites LAX-SIN for the connection to Bali. Likewise with JFK-FRA-SIN. Next best options are to make your way across the Atlantic to pick up a SQ flight from CDG, LHR or ZRH.

Been to Bali in May, albeit just for 5 days. Weather was good.

Originally Posted by schoppy
Is MEL not an A380 destination any more ?
Not routinely. IIRC, it pops up in the schedule briefly, later this year, doing SQ 217/8 for a few weeks. Service went to AKL instead.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:57 am

You trying to do LHR-AUH? Im looking to book an a380 to SYD to take my girlfriend for a couple weeks, but with her in college its hard
Sort of. SIN-AUH-LHR preferably in that direction (in reverse would be with higher UK surcharges).

Where does the LAX flight go? Narita? Then I would do Narita to Bali?

Trying to figure out the routes I should be searching for in KVS when the calendar opens up

Anyone here done Bali in may?
You should try to book direct LAX-(NRT)-SIN-DPS all on SQ metal. Then they don't assess your fares using Star Alliance chart but SQ's own chart. But you have to call in because the stupid website now does not allow mixed-class booking. It will not allow you to book LAX-DPA in F.

But I think you would have better options flying directly from your home base (Florida?) to Europe then to SIN and DPS. Redeem using SQ's Star Alliance chart. It costs more but you don't have to spend on additional repositioning to LAX or JFK. Suites on European routes are readily available although I am not sure about summer availabilities.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 4:54 pm

LAX tends to have good availability for 2.

JFK is also doable if you book way in advance. 355 days out there are 2 savers available at times, even during peak periods. I just got a Saver AKL-SIN-FRA-JFK for the first week of January.

I've found JFK harder to find eastbound ex-USA, most dates 355 days out were waitlisted and if there was availability I've only seen it with 1 seat and it was often married with a connecting segment (e.g. I would see availability of you were continuing to HKG, SYD, AKL, etc. but not if you terminated in SIN)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.