Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Points Transfers to KF for Suites Redemptions?

Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference

I'm based on the east coast of the US, so notwithstanding taking Singapore on a fun around-the-world journey I rather doubt I'll be flying them with any regularity. With that being said, assuming relatively open travel flexibility I've been advised that the best way to get into a Suites reservation would be via a KrisFlyer-based reservation. Given that (A) Suites are on my bucket list and (B) I want to get over to Japan in the next two years [before they ax their last sleeper trains] or down to Australia at some point, I'm wondering what the most efficient way(s) of piling up the requisite points and getting them into KF. I currently have a Hyatt Platinum membership (and credit card) and am pondering grabbing an SPG membership+card and/or one of the 1:1 transfer Chase cards.

The questions:
(1) Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best method of these to use for dumping into KF? I'll probably be dumping from at least two programs (Hyatt will be one by virtue of the fact that I use Hyatt a lot; SPG and/or Chase would be the other, though if it ends up being all three...well, c'est la vie...and I'm obviously open to other options as well). While Hyatt has an effective 2:1 transfer rate (vs. SPG's effective 1:1.25 rate), Hyatt is also a bit more open with the points such that at baseline status (5/dollar vs. 2/dollar for SPG) the two programs are basically equal...and quite frankly, I use enough Hyatts that mattress running at two chains just isn't going to be worth it for me.

As a note, Hyatt has other transfer options that are of use, but Chase and SPG also both have broad swapping options (AGR would be a winner but I'm basically swamped with points there and stuck in a bit of a "caucus race" to keep Select Executive, but VA/VS are definitely options for me assuming I run into interline issues with VX points) so even if something goes pear-shaped on the SQ end of things I'm not that worried about ending up out in the cold.

(2) Are there any obvious/likely/plausible issues with sticking a KF account together, dumping over 100,000 points into the account, and then redeeming them out immediately? I've heard just enough horror stories about "account audits" and the like to be wary of something that could go wrong (an annual transfer limit, for example).
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: TK*G, QR Gold, VA Gold, NZ Gold
not familiar with rules when it comes to transferring "hotel based accounts" to KF but what I use is my credit card points to transfer to KF. I tried Suites last year and i just loaded 40,000 miles without any issues (i.e., maximum miles). i reckon the rule/restriction is coming from the non-airline partner.

Take note though if you are redeeming KF miles for Suites. There is normally a lot of wait listing esp for popular flights like SIN-SYD and you normally have to burn a lot of miles because the only open option to redeem are standard awards which requires lot of miles usage compared to saver awards.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Note also that SQ miles expire whether or not there is activity in the account, so don't transfer miles into SQ in advance of using them for award availability that you have already found. SQ miles vanish in two or three years; check the rules carefully. Also check the rules about elites and waitlist priority before planning to go that route.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
That was my plan...at most I'd do two pulses a year apart, and even that would be a stretch because of management issues.

I might end up trying to work an upgrade in lieu of doing all points, which would make eating the "Standard" award a bit more bearable.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Note also that SQ miles expire whether or not there is activity in the account, so don't transfer miles into SQ in advance of using them for award availability that you have already found. SQ miles vanish in two or three years; check the rules carefully. Also check the rules about elites and waitlist priority before planning to go that route.
SQ KF miles expire after three year. Can be extended for six months only, but that is it. You have to pay a fee for extension in miles or cash (albeit cash amount is quite low)

As mentioned up thread, difficult to find suites saver awards on long haul flights. Better availability at full rates ( 3x saver) and some at standard (2X saver), but saver availiability needs a lot of patience and waitlistings. Another quirk of wait listing is that they autocancel the wait list a few days after you book it if it has not cleared and ticketed by them.

Plus you need enough miles in your account to wait list. You can't wail list without miles with the hope that you will transfer the miles if the waitlist clears

So quite a number or pitfalls, not as easy as some people think, especially if you are not using SQ frequently and have miles rolling in and out of the account regularly.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
That was my plan...at most I'd do two pulses a year apart, and even that would be a stretch because of management issues.

I might end up trying to work an upgrade in lieu of doing all points, which would make eating the "Standard" award a bit more bearable.
Business class tickets on SQ are expensive, so buying business class tickets and upgrading may not be that cheap.

Also they have different buckets for upgrades from business to first, and for award redemptions in first, although both are shown as O class. Many times you see a redemption available, but you can't upgrade your business to first.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Chase Ink 70,000 bonus (+spend), Chase Sapphire 50,000 bonus (+spend), SPG 40,000 point transfer nets (bonus 5,000 for each 20,000 transfered) 50,000 KrisFlyer miles, 120,000 IHG points nets 24,000 KrisFlyer miles...

net, You currently have 206,000 (KrisFlyer) miles
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
Chase Ink 70,000 bonus (+spend), Chase Sapphire 50,000 bonus (+spend), SPG 40,000 point transfer nets (bonus 5,000 for each 20,000 transfered) 50,000 KrisFlyer miles, 120,000 IHG points nets 24,000 KrisFlyer miles...

net, You currently have 206,000 (KrisFlyer) miles
Wow. Thank you for the advice on that!

One minor change to that (for my existing spending pattern): Remove 120,000 IHG points and instead add in 50,000 Hyatt points. 207,000 miles.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec; AA Platinum; SPG Gold; PC Platinum Ambassador
Redemption on SQ

Note that also Citibank Thank You points also transfer 1-1 to SQ, so you can get the various sign up bonuses on those cards as well.

However, the transfers take some time (SPG took a week for me), and as other posters have noted, the Suites saver availability is very limited. So you will really need some travel flexibility, particularly if you are looking for more than one ticket.

Not sure what you mean by "work" an upgrade- only way to get one would be to use points, and it's not an economic proposition. For example, a one-way Saver Suites redemption from the East Coast to Japan/Australia would be ~115K KF miles, after on-line discount. A Saver upgrade from business class would be ~75K KF miles, so much better to just buy the ticket outright.

As another poster said earlier, upgrades also pull from a different pool, so no visibility until you call in.

Best option is to accrue all the points necessary, look repeatedly at the Suites saver availability far out, and once you see availability for the date you want, transfer the 230K points and pray it stays open. Worse comes to worse, you end up with 230K KF points- I'm sure you can find some other nice redemptions for that which work for your schedule...

Friendly

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.